new beta 7.1.7betaX [closed]

Started by orux, July 14, 2017, 09:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orux

Quote from: "Maki"Today I wanted to test the altitude filters and I tried to make a track segment that has no descent in it (so that it is easy to know the exact difference between start-point and end-point). To do that I used the notification button, which didn't give me any errors or confirmations. When looking at stats I don't see the segments, so it seems that the button doesn't work.

Another related thing. The notification has three buttons (stop, new wpt, new segment) that have the same width despite hosting strings with different length. Not only this looks odd, but the last one is truncated because it's too long.

I had two phones (S5 and Moto X 2014, all with Android 6.0.1) and both exhibit the same behavior.

Thanks.

Only the 'new segment' button doesn't work?

The actions (size and positions) are managed by android; not sure if will be easy to change, I will see.

orux

orux

Quote from: "Off-track"I previously set up OM in emulated memory on an SD card, because that was the way I could get OM v 7.0.12 to use the SD card under Android 6 http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25950">//http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25950. This continued to work until v7.0.18 beta3, but it gives problems with v 7.1.0 rc3. It still works with some things in emulated memory (like offline maps), but not with others (like custom waypoints). Looking at folder settings, I guess it will not find a bunch of other stuff like DEMs, but I have not explicitly tested them yet.

I did not see or find any of the messages about available folders mentioned above.

I got the custom waypoints to work by copying the folder (under Win Explorer) from:

ComputerZTE Blade A462SD cardAndroiddatacom.orux.oruxmapsfilescustomwpts

to:

ComputerZTE Blade A462SD cardAndroiddatacom.orux.oruxmapsbetafilesexternalcustomwpts

OM > Global Settings > Application > Migrate to Ext. SD failed ("No SD found!"). Working through the phone (Settings > Apps > OruxMaps Beta > Storage >Change) allowed a shift to SD, but this caused problems for me that needed an uninstall and reinstall of the OM Beta, so I am not doing it again! Probably there is no need, as all the memory-consuming data really is already in the SD card (still set up as emulated internal memory).

Probably people can get it to work by copying relevant folders as mentioned for custom waypoints above.

I do not know what will happen when new maps are downloaded. Overall it seems tricky for those who have set up SD cards as emulated internal memory under Android 6. Maybe Orux can simplify the upgrade to recognise this better in the official release?

Thanks;

I will check your comments,

orux

orux

A new rc version with small changes.

orux

Maki

Quote from: "orux"Only the 'new segment' button doesn't work?

Tried again today on the MotoX with RC4, nothing works. Actually I never used the notification actions, so I don't know when they stopped working or if they ever worked at all (but I suppose thy did).

Why not using icons rather than text for the buttons. I see other apps doing that, so it should be possible. It would also mean less text strings to manage and a more consistent interface since you would be using the same icons in the app. And maybe there would be room for more buttons. That said I don't find this feature that useful, so I wouldn't lose my sleep on it.

Maki

Regarding the elevation filter, I disabled the correction in the preferences, and recorded a track that showed 797m elevation gain in the stats (on the MotoX, so altitudes are from the DEMs). I corrected the altitude using the default rounding and it still was 797. I then enabled the correction in the preferences and corrected again the elevation using the default rounding and got 770m (which I believe is closer to reality).

I think this behavior is wrong, if I explicitly ask the app to correct the altitude using DEMs it should always do it, the preference should affect only automatic correction when stopping the recording.

That said I still think that the wrong value is the one without correction, so rather than disabling the correction it should actually be performed live when recording the track, so that the dashboard shows real values. But I need to do some more testing, hopefully next week.

As a side note, it would be useful to add a suffix or something to the track name when one performs a correction, so that it is clear which one one is the original and which one the manipulated one. Currently you see two tracks with identical name.

orux

Quote from: "Maki"Regarding the elevation filter, I disabled the correction in the preferences, and recorded a track that showed 797m elevation gain in the stats (on the MotoX, so altitudes are from the DEMs). I corrected the altitude using the default rounding and it still was 797. I then enabled the correction in the preferences and corrected again the elevation using the default rounding and got 770m (which I believe is closer to reality).

I think this behavior is wrong, if I explicitly ask the app to correct the altitude using DEMs it should always do it, the preference should affect only automatic correction when stopping the recording.

That said I still think that the wrong value is the one without correction, so rather than disabling the correction it should actually be performed live when recording the track, so that the dashboard shows real values. But I need to do some more testing, hopefully next week.

As a side note, it would be useful to add a suffix or something to the track name when one performs a correction, so that it is clear which one one is the original and which one the manipulated one. Currently you see two tracks with identical name.

Hello,

The description of the last filter may be incorrect.

The app applies different filters/corrections:

When a track is recorded, a correction to the altitude value is applied to each positioning. It is the altitude of each point recorded in the database.

When the function of correcting the altitude of a track is applied, the same thing happens (different algorithms), and the altitude value of each point is altered.

Finally, if the new filter checkbox is active, a different algorithm is applied which, without altering the altitude value of each point, calculates the altitude ascent/descent values. Then this filter/correction can be applied in both situations, because it calculates/modifies different values.

orux

Maki

The preference explanation says
QuoteApply a filter that corrects GPS fix problems with altitude. Filter smoothes the altitude, after you stops recording the Track

It say nothing about the "correct altitude" you can apply afterwards to an already recorded track. If I understand correctly how things work then yes, the description is inaccurate.

However the real world problem with the current Play Store release is that  during my hike I see from the dashbord that my elevation gain is 150m, then when I stop the recording and look at the stats I see 120m. At least one of the two numbers is wrong, this is confusing and makes the app feeling unreliable, it should be solved.

I will not be able to do definitive tests before next week, but my feeling after comparing with on paper calculations is that the dashboard value is the wrong one.

ThomasSc

Hi orux,

please do not change something in "Apply altitude filter" and Altitude in "Barometer"-Mode.

Thank you.

Thomas

orux

Quote from: "ThomasSc"Hi orux,

please do not change something in "Apply altitude filter" and Altitude in "Barometer"-Mode.

Thank you.

Thomas

A new version, with new iw language files, and a new feature for testing.

orux

Off-track

1. Updating from my post above about having to copy folders:

On the initial load of OM v 7.1.0 rc6 (and my profile and a refresh of offline maps), the app found my offline maps which were set up in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.orux.oruxmaps/files/mapfiles/; but it did not find my custom waypoint types that were set up in /sdcard/Android/data/com.orux.oruxmaps/files/customwpts/. It used default waypoint symbols instead.

However, when restarted, it found everything (all still in emulated internal memory under Android 6). Maybe users can be advised that if things seem lost after upgrade, try a complete close and restart of v 7.1.0. No copying of folders is needed.

OM v 7.1.0 rc6 does not reload overlays by default, but you can set it to do this through Global settings > Maps > KML overlay settings > Keep KML overlays. (Probably this was always the case, I have forgotten).

2. I also tested the new shp overlay feature. It worked when I copied the right files directly into the OM overlay folder:

First I tried copying there a folder (contour.shp) that included .shp and .prj files (among others) as used by some other GIS programs. This did not work too well (after navigating deeper OM complained that it could not find a prj file, but it then loaded correctly as my shp was in WGS84).

Then I tried copying there just the shp and prj files. It worked fine (though slow with this big and complex shp file: 37 Mb!). The result in my test was lots of contour lines. (They were green in OM, and did not scale in thickness as I zoomed out, so a bit of a mess in steep areas. I guess it would need some of the other files from the full shapefile folder to get attributes, but I understand this would be complex, and it was not the intended use). It will be useful as is for simpler layers and it should save some users some work translating from shp to kml. In other cases kml may be preferred as it does embed some easily editable attributes (such as line color)?

Maki

I tried with RC6. Notification buttons are hit or miss. "New segment" worked a couple of times and then no more, the others never worked.

I'm puzzled about the altitude filters, it looks they aren't working.

Sunday I had a good MTB ride, with the altitude filter set to on and the uphill reading was basically spot-on (easy to check because very long, smooth terrain and almost no intermediate descents). Also when stopping the track the difference between the stats and the dashboard were minimal. Just to check I disabled the filter and corrected the altitude; I expected some difference and... got exactly the same values!

Monday I had short ride in the bottom of a valley, always with the filters set to on. The difference between the stats and the dashboard were less than before.  At the end I got 140m total. Previously after stopping the recording I was getting around 120m which is more or less the same value I get loading the same track in TwoNav Land. Land allows me to see the altimetric profile side by side with the map. I see some mild oscillations and some false, sharp, small, ups and downs when passing on a small bridge. However 5 meters here and 5 meters there... it adds up. This is a tricky situation for a software to evaluate, but comparing with paper calculations the filter you were using previously seems better. Again I disabled the filter and corrected the altitude --> no changes in the stats.

orux

Quote from: "Maki"I tried with RC6. Notification buttons are hit or miss. "New segment" worked a couple of times and then no more, the others never worked.

It is a problem with beta versions, it should work in release versions.

Quote from: "Maki"
I'm puzzled about the altitude filters, it looks they aren't working.

Sunday I had a good MTB ride, with the altitude filter set to on and the uphill reading was basically spot-on (easy to check because very long, smooth terrain and almost no intermediate descents). Also when stopping the track the difference between the stats and the dashboard were minimal. Just to check I disabled the filter and corrected the altitude; I expected some difference and... got exactly the same values!

Monday I had short ride in the bottom of a valley, always with the filters set to on. The difference between the stats and the dashboard were less than before.  At the end I got 140m total. Previously after stopping the recording I was getting around 120m which is more or less the same value I get loading the same track in TwoNav Land. Land allows me to see the altimetric profile side by side with the map. I see some mild oscillations and some false, sharp, small, ups and downs when passing on a small bridge. However 5 meters here and 5 meters there... it adds up. This is a tricky situation for a software to evaluate, but comparing with paper calculations the filter you were using previously seems better. Again I disabled the filter and corrected the altitude --> no changes in the stats.

If the GPS has good coverage, and it is accurate, it is logical that both values look like.

The final filter will give a different value with a bad GPS, or in plain routes.

You can see the variability of the GPS measurements if you open the track in gpx format with a text editor.

Updated the test version.

Although the official version 7.1.0 is already released, I keep this version because it incorporates a different system to prevent android stops sending GPS positions to save energy.

orux

Maki

I don't know... with previous RC using the filter or not made a sensible difference on that track.

I tried with other tracks and I'm even more puzzled. With this one I see a difference in the elevations. At the same time I saved the corrected tracks and examined them on the PC (Notepad ++ compare plugin) and they are exactly the same; yet, they generate different stats in OruxMaps. Looking at the graph in TwoNav Land too, the two corrected tracks (with and without filter) are exactly the same, and the difference with the original one is noticeable. It's so confusing...

Apart from this I've just read an interesting suggestion on the Italian Play Store. Make the graphs zoom independently on the two axis. With long tracks the graph is actually quite compressed horizontally and hard to read.

Tobias

Hi,

In the current release 7.1.2 there is still a problem with DEM and possibly general directory access for me:

Nexus 5x , Android 8.0.0 (it was also the case in Android 7.1.2 adn the same device)

If I open orux, DEM files aren't loaded:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXSGdsd0ZOS0RybTg/view?usp=sharing">//https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXSGdsd0ZOS0RybTg/view?usp=sharing

Then I look up the directory, it is shown as empty. This is the case since nougat I think ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXSXZOSEVlTEJvR28/view?usp=sharing">//https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXSXZOSEVlTEJvR28/view?usp=sharing

After hitting "ok", DEM files are working properly:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXTWt1SlpEdUJhX00/view?usp=sharing">//https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXTWt1SlpEdUJhX00/view?usp=sharing

The behavior is inconsistent, I can open and close the app after doing the process described and DEM is still working.

But before every workout I have to do it again.

I can provide a bugreport / system protocol in a pm if it helps?

_______

I just noticed RC7.

Are the gps fixed included in the latest release? I got some problem lately, but thought it's because of beta Android.

orux

Quote from: "Tobias"Hi,

In the current release 7.1.2 there is still a problem with DEM and possibly general directory access for me:

Nexus 5x , Android 8.0.0 (it was also the case in Android 7.1.2 adn the same device)

If I open orux, DEM files aren't loaded:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXSGdsd0ZOS0RybTg/view?usp=sharing">//https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXSGdsd0ZOS0RybTg/view?usp=sharing

Then I look up the directory, it is shown as empty. This is the case since nougat I think ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXSXZOSEVlTEJvR28/view?usp=sharing">//https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXSXZOSEVlTEJvR28/view?usp=sharing

After hitting "ok", DEM files are working properly:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXTWt1SlpEdUJhX00/view?usp=sharing">//https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TtNI94YOyXTWt1SlpEdUJhX00/view?usp=sharing

The behavior is inconsistent, I can open and close the app after doing the process described and DEM is still working.

But before every workout I have to do it again.

I can provide a bugreport / system protocol in a pm if it helps?

_______

I just noticed RC7.

Are the gps fixed included in the latest release? I got some problem lately, but thought it's because of beta Android.

Hello;

there is a new beta.

about DEM problem: do you use the external storage as an extension of the internal storage?

you don't see the DEM files because the browser is configured as a folder selector, then the files are not displayed.

the GPS problem. Do you mean the problems with the buttons/actions in the notification?

orux