Issues with Android Oreo and/or Huawei devices

Started by orux, February 24, 2018, 09:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orux

Issues with Android Oreo and/or Huawei devices

I'm receiving some bug reports when recording a track on phones with Oreo and/or Huawei phones with Nougat + the latest update.

The problem is that the app stops recording the route when the user turns off the screen, immediately or after a few minutes. When the user unlocks the display, the app continues receiving location updates.

The app should work fine, although some adjustments are required:

https://github.com/dirkam/backgroundable-android">//https://github.com/dirkam/backgroundable-android

USE ALWAYS SETTINGS--SENSORS--GPS-->FUSED LOCATIONS PROVIDER

LAST MINUTE: THERE ARE USERS THAT REPORTS THAT THE APP WORKS FINE IF YOU START THE APP USING THE ORUXMAPS WIDGET.

Please, tell us if it works fine,.

orux

johnnycrow

Hi,

I've beeb using Oruxmaps for years on samsung devices (thank you for your great work creating one of the best apps for gps tracking)

Now I bought a Honor 7x phone, and it looks like I'm having the same well known problems: it loses the gps signal as soon as the screen turns off, so the track is made by straight lines.

The phone, as I said, is a

Honor 7X

Model: BND-L21

Build: BND-L21C432B123

Android: 7.0

EMUI: 5.1

Thank you

J.

orux

Quote from: johnnycrow post_id=12951 time=1519743985 user_id=7330
Hi,

I've beeb using Oruxmaps for years on samsung devices (thank you for your great work creating one of the best apps for gps tracking)

Now I bought a Honor 7x phone, and it looks like I'm having the same well known problems: it loses the gps signal as soon as the screen turns off, so the track is made by straight lines.

The phone, as I said, is a

Honor 7X

Model: BND-L21

Build: BND-L21C432B123

Android: 7.0

EMUI: 5.1

Thank you

J.

Hello,

did you checked that:

--device is not in any power saving mode

--oruxmaps in in protected apps list

--oruxmaps can work after screen is locked (android settings--applications--oruxmaps--baterry

orux

hikingforfun

Hello Orux,

positive feedback: your fixed beta version works fine on

* Huawei GT3

* Huawei P9

No more straight lines!

Thank you very much for your quick response to the problem.

We love to use Oruxmaps!

flyjac

Hi,

I have also the problem with a Honor 5C.

I wanted to try the beta version, but link is dead :(

orux

Quote from: flyjac post_id=13146 time=1522446414 user_id=7408
Hi,

I have also the problem with a Honor 5C.

I wanted to try the beta version, but link is dead :(

Hello;

download the last version, 7.2.11 --> oruxmaps.com

orux

matt

Just a comment from a new Android 8 user:

I got my Xiaomi Mi A1 (Android One) a few weeks ago, updated to 8.0.0 (Security patch level 1. Feb 2018), then installing OruxMaps 7.2.7.

When starting trackrecording, OruxMaps gives me the "Warning! OruxMaps is under Power Saving control... will not work properly in background...".

Well, i ignored it and selected  "LATER!", to see if/when i would see straight lines, caused by not getting GPS position at some time.

But all is OK, no gaps or straight lines. Accurate recording as i was used to it from my old phone.

Tested at 1,5-2,5h bike rides, where i left my phone locked and unattended in my backpack.

In the meantime my OruxMaps is on 7.2.11, phone Security patch level on 1st Mar 2018, and i still happily ignore the OruxMaps warning when recording.

Matt

heppu99

I had this problem with Honor 8, and installing the new update 7.2.11 and selecting...

"After installing, go to Global settings-->Sensors-->GPS-->FUSED LOCATIONS PROVIDER (clicked)."

...works fine! Thank You!

vigil

Same issue with Huawei P20 pro with OREO with Android 8.1 and EMUI 8.1.

vigil

I found on *forum.xda-developers.com* that the problem is caused by Phone Manager (Huawei) which freezes the process when the screen is off. The linux feature *cgroup freezer* is used by Phone Manager to pause processing.

orux

Quote from: vigil post_id=13487 time=1525384827 user_id=7563
I found on *forum.xda-developers.com* that the problem is caused by Phone Manager (Huawei) which freezes the process when the screen is off. The linux feature *cgroup freezer* is used by Phone Manager to pause processing.

Hello;

Huawei uses its own power management systems, with non-standard and non-public policies. This is the problem.

Have you tested last huawei/honor version? -->

remember that you must exclude oruxmaps from apps that are closed after turn off the screen, and from apps closed when using power intensive.

orux

vigil

Today, recommended version 7.2.13 was installed on Huawei P20 Pro but the problem persists. The background GPS recording freezes after a while (some couples of minutes) and continues again when screen gets on. All necessary or recommended battery power settings in phone configuration were set up and re-checked.

I am so pissed off that I am going to return otherwise great phone. Luckily, I am with 2 weeks warranty. Orux accompanies me a few years on my trips to woods.

orux

Quote from: vigil post_id=13492 time=1525515108 user_id=7563
Today, recommended version 7.2.13 was installed on Huawei P20 Pro but the problem persists. The background GPS recording freezes after a while (some couples of minutes) and continues again when screen gets on. All necessary or recommended battery power settings in phone configuration were set up and re-checked.

I am so pissed off that I am going to return otherwise great phone. Luckily, I am with 2 weeks warranty. Orux accompanies me a few years on my trips to woods.

Hello!

Could you share a track in gpx format?

orux

vigil

Sent as private message

agi62

Hi to everybody,

I would want to purchase a Huawei P9 Lite or a P8 Lite 2017 but before I would want to ask if the problem of the GPS has been resolved.

Thanks.