Issues with Android Oreo and/or Huawei devices

Started by orux, February 24, 2018, 09:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olwaldi

Hello!

I just wanted to report that oruxmap-7.2.13 is running fine on my Huawei Mate9 MHA-L29 8.0.0.366(C432) with Oreo and latest security updates. I have engaged the new oruxmaps swith FUSED LOCATIONS PROVIDER. I have disabled any power optimisation and I have allowed oruxmaps to ignore automatic power management. But I have enabled to be informed about apps with "excessive" power consumption. During my hike yesterday (~8h) I got a signal roughly all 2h probabely due to that. If I'm hiking typically two apps are actice, oruxmaps and camera. Sometimes I've a short look on current status of my hike, then I switch off the display without problems.

Something I'm missing (maybe a functionality being removed within 7.2.x?) is the option to share a track e.g. by email. I'd expect the share symbol within the button bar of the track list, but I can only do a GPX export. Even after configuration of my email address within settings and re-exporting my track there was no menu to send my track. Not a big issue, because I could share my exported track using the system's file explorer.

Regards, Michael

orux

Quote from: olwaldi post_id=13504 time=1525704715 user_id=7027
Hello!

I just wanted to report that oruxmap-7.2.13 is running fine on my Huawei Mate9 MHA-L29 8.0.0.366(C432) with Oreo and latest security updates. I have engaged the new oruxmaps swith FUSED LOCATIONS PROVIDER. I have disabled any power optimisation and I have allowed oruxmaps to ignore automatic power management. But I have enabled to be informed about apps with "excessive" power consumption. During my hike yesterday (~8h) I got a signal roughly all 2h probabely due to that. If I'm hiking typically two apps are actice, oruxmaps and camera. Sometimes I've a short look on current status of my hike, then I switch off the display without problems.

Something I'm missing (maybe a functionality being removed within 7.2.x?) is the option to share a track e.g. by email. I'd expect the share symbol within the button bar of the track list, but I can only do a GPX export. Even after configuration of my email address within settings and re-exporting my track there was no menu to send my track. Not a big issue, because I could share my exported track using the system's file explorer.

Regards, Michael

Hello;

could you tell me if it is the 7.2.13 version from the web site (the normal one, or the special for Huawei devices) or the google play donate version?

you can share a track if you click the track in the track list, then properties, then the 'share' button,

orux

kischu

If sometimes, e.g. every 20 minutes or so, (during your hike) you turn on the screen, your test is not of much use - sorry to say so.

Only if you keep your screen turned off for let's say 45 minutes or more, it is plausible to conclude that Oruxmaps works alright and would not give any straight lines.

Of course, if your normal usage pattern is to look at the screen every few minutes, then Oruxmaps may really be useful to you - but not as a test for other people who keep the screen off during the whole hike, for instance.

orux

I'm a little tired of this problem, and Huawei does not want to help...

In the first post of the thread, I have added a link to 7.2.14 version that works well on my two test devices,

honor 7x with oreo

huawei p8 lite 2017 with nougat.

Please, test that version with the appropriate android/app settings,

orux

kischu

Is this version 7.2.14  more recent (improved) than the test version you sent me?

I noticed, there is a difference in classes.dex.

I already told you, that your test version 7.2.14 T worked alright so far (my latest walk was about one and a half hours long, and Oruxmaps worked well, but also that it seems to me that battery consumption has considerably risen (of all the various GPS apps that I ran in parallel, Oruxmaps is number 1 now in power consumption, while before it was rather runtastic). The battery issue is not my main problem, if only the straight lines no longer appear, I am quite satisfied.

orux

Quote from: kischu post_id=13524 time=1526031718 user_id=7512
Is this version 7.2.14  more recent (improved) than the test version you sent me?

I noticed, there is a difference in classes.dex.

I already told you, that your test version 7.2.14 T worked alright so far (my latest walk was about one and a half hours long, and Oruxmaps worked well, but also that it seems to me that battery consumption has considerably risen (of all the various GPS apps that I ran in parallel, Oruxmaps is number 1 now in power consumption, while before it was rather runtastic). The battery issue is not my main problem, if only the straight lines no longer appear, I am quite satisfied.

Hello;

there is a small difference; could you test that version?

There should be no changes in energy consumption; keep in mind that the value offered by the device is very approximate, you can not calculate it at 100%.

The app continues to do basically the same, but without the need for additional energy consumption.

orux

stormtroopa

I own a P10 Lite with latest stock FW. Android 7 / Emui 5.1.1. Alas the streight lines doesn't go awai with orux 7.2.13 and all the proposed settings.

Anything I can do to narrow down the problem?

kischu

Version 7.2.14 worked alright during my walk yesterday (nearly one and a half hours). As inaccurate as Android may be showing battery consumption, the pattern appears to be reproducible - Oruxmaps draws more battery power than any other GPS tracking tool running at the same time (except runtastic sometimes), unfortunately.

I guess, I will check that older version 7.2.12b again - maybe it was just that 0 seconds time interval setting that I had changed to 2 seconds that had given me straight lines - battery consumption was lower with that version, if I am not wrong.

orux

Quote from: stormtroopa post_id=13537 time=1526204690 user_id=6692
I own a P10 Lite with latest stock FW. Android 7 / Emui 5.1.1. Alas the streight lines doesn't go awai with orux 7.2.13 and all the proposed settings.

Anything I can do to narrow down the problem?

Hello,

you can test the 7.2.14 version that can find in the first post of this thread,

orux

orux

Quote from: kischu post_id=13538 time=1526207175 user_id=7512
Version 7.2.14 worked alright during my walk yesterday (nearly one and a half hours). As inaccurate as Android may be showing battery consumption, the pattern appears to be reproducible - Oruxmaps draws more battery power than any other GPS tracking tool running at the same time (except runtastic sometimes), unfortunately.

I guess, I will check that older version 7.2.12b again - maybe it was just that 0 seconds time interval setting that I had changed to 2 seconds that had given me straight lines - battery consumption was lower with that version if I am not wrong.

That setting is the main one to save battery.

Depending on the phone, after 2 seconds, Android can decide to turn off the GPS between measurements. This saves a lot of battery. But it has a drawback; On some phones, the hot start of the GPS produces low-quality location fixes. Interestingly, this did not happen in the old androids (Android beginnings).

You have to do tests. With a value of 8 seconds or more, the power saving can be very important.

But with the 'fused locations' + Huawei devices setting, I do not know what the behavior is, I do not know if the device can even stop the app. In no phone there were problems with these settings; in the Huawei, I do not know.

The best combination of GPS settings from the beginning was:

2-4-8 seconds for minimum time,

10-20 mts. for minimum distance,

20-50 mts. for accuracy for position fix.

orux

kischu

I should add that Oruxmaps was  - again - the most accurate tracker of all the tools that ran in parallel.

I carefully measured yesterday's hike in basecamp and qmapshack, and the track length registered by Oruxmaps was spot on - no other GPS tool came that close (viewranger was good, too).

stormtroopa

Okay, the 14 works alright. At least what I can say after testing it briefly.

Cannot tell anything about power consumption yet.

Thx for the quick fixes.

Now I don't have to get another phone ;)

pier

Hi,

Today I have tried the version 2.7.14 Donate but also this app stops the gps recording when the screen is turned off.

I have followed the setting tips but nothing changes.

--device is not in any power saving mode

--oruxmaps in in protected apps list

--oruxmaps can work after screen is locked

--FUSED LOCATIONS PROVIDER (clicked)

I am using:

HUAWEI P8 LITE 2017

Model: PRA-LX1

Build: PRA-LX1C02B158

Android: 7.0

EMUI: 5.0.2

Someone can help me?

Thank you

Pier

olwaldi

Quote from: orux post_id=13505 time=1525717971 user_id=2
Quote from: olwaldi post_id=13504 time=1525704715 user_id=7027
Hello!

Regards, Michael

Hello;

could you tell me if it is the 7.2.13 version from the web site (the normal one, or the special for Huawei devices) or the google play donate version?

you can share a track if you click the track in the track list, then properties, then the 'share' button,

orux

Sorry for my late answer, I'm using the web version, not your special version.

And thanks for your hint to locate the share button. I did not try to scroll down within properties menu. Now this works as expected!

Regards, Michael

alli.galli

I have the same issue with the recording track stopping suddenly after some times (30minutes) Oruxmaps is in background.

I had experienced this problem from Oreo 8.0 Update.

I have tried the version 2.7.14  but also this app stops the gps recording when the screen is turned off.

I have followed the setting tips but nothing changes.

--device is not in any power saving mode

--oruxmaps in in protected apps list

--oruxmaps can work after screen is locked

--FUSED LOCATIONS PROVIDER (clicked)

Nokia N6 with Oreo 8.1