Strange bugs in latest GP versions 10.1.x

Started by eartrumpet, June 10, 2023, 10:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eartrumpet

Hello Orux,
there are several bugs in the GP versions 10.1.x since end of May; it seems to me even that the beta versions have been released as GP for me? I have now the @All folders etc. which were introduced this beta: https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=41939.0

Some of the things that occurred:
- I couldn't change mapsforge theme anymore, and change its options. I solved it after clearing OruxMaps cache.
- In classic interface the options to disable menu bar or navigation drawer are missing, as reported here https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=41939.msg55358#msg55358
- After looking into my track database, it seems like a lot of tracks are missing. I realized it used an old database which I found in the root folder "internal SD\OruxMaps\tracklogs", but not the one in the private folder in "android\data\com.orux.oruxmapsdonate", which I used since the scoped storage changes. So every tracks recorded since then are in the database in the private folder till the update in late May, tracks recorded since late May are added to the old database in the root folder. So about a year of tracks are missing in the database of the root folder. In settings the private folder is selected for tracks, but this setting isn't working for the database anymore. Seems related to this https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=41978.msg55390
- When recording a track, sometimes GPS isn't working anymore. I move on but it still locks at a certain point (maybe where I had a rest). It's still on/recording, but no new position is registered. I have to stop GPS, recording AND quit OruxMaps, so that I get a new position when starting GPS again. Without that, e.g. just stopping/starting GPS, no new position is found. I tried changing the setting "sensitivity of movement detection", but it still happens. This never happend before the update to 10.1.x

Something is really wrong here. I've been a OruxMaps user since ages, but haven't had so many issues ever... I'm using currently a Galaxy A52s 5G with Android 13 since September 2021.

Best regards,
Tobias

orux

Quote from: eartrumpet on June 10, 2023, 10:40:32 AM
Hello Orux,
there are several bugs in the GP versions 10.1.x since end of May; it seems to me even that the beta versions have been released as GP for me? I have now the @All folders etc. which were introduced this beta: https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=41939.0

Some of the things that occurred:
- I couldn't change mapsforge theme anymore, and change its options. I solved it after clearing OruxMaps cache.

Sorry for the problems...
I don't have similar bug reports, it's weird, I don't understand what it could have to do with the cache.
Have you had problems since then?
If you use the VTM viewer (settings-->maps-->VTM viewer or only for mapsforge maps settings-->maps-->mapsforge maps-->VTM viewer) disable it. It could be causing problems.

- In classic interface the options to disable menu bar or navigation drawer are missing, as reported here https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=41939.msg55358#msg55358
Sorry, but I have removed that option. I was going crazy with the emails from users who disabled one or the other, and then couldn't find the buttons or the panel.

You can make the top bar hide automatically, but the left panel can no longer be disabled.

- After looking into my track database, it seems like a lot of tracks are missing. I realized it used an old database which I found in the root folder "internal SD\OruxMaps\tracklogs", but not the one in the private folder in "android\data\com.orux.oruxmapsdonate", which I used since the scoped storage changes. So every tracks recorded since then are in the database in the private folder till the update in late May, tracks recorded since late May are added to the old database in the root folder. So about a year of tracks are missing in the database of the root folder. In settings the private folder is selected for tracks, but this setting isn't working for the database anymore. Seems related to this https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=41978.msg55390

The Tracks database location issue is a bit tricky, especially if you've given the app permission to access all files. The directories in root storage were then reused. Since you had two databases in use, I'm assuming you didn't copy the one from the private storage to the public one.

Remember that the directory marked in configuration-->app storage-->Tracks/routes directory is where the gpx/kml,... are stored, but the database has always been in oruxmaps/tracklogs/, in public or private storage.

Luckily we have a member who has made a script to merge Tracks databases :)

If you send me the oruxmapstracks.db I can merge them, and by the way see that I do it well :)

- When recording a track, sometimes GPS isn't working anymore. I move on but it still locks at a certain point (maybe where I had a rest). It's still on/recording, but no new position is registered. I have to stop GPS, recording AND quit OruxMaps, so that I get a new position when starting GPS again. Without that, e.g. just stopping/starting GPS, no new position is found. I tried changing the setting "sensitivity of movement detection", but it still happens. This never happend before the update to 10.1.x
This is also a bit strange. I have no similar reports.

Same as the first problem, maybe it's time for a reinstall (remember to backup first all you have in the private app storage!)...
Android ever makes a mess with permissions, have you tried opening GPS Test or similar, and see if it updates the positions?

orux

eartrumpet

Thanks for the fast answers!

Quote from: orux on June 11, 2023, 07:14:38 PM
I don't have similar bug reports, it's weird, I don't understand what it could have to do with the cache.
If you use the VTM viewer (settings-->maps-->VTM viewer or only for mapsforge maps settings-->maps-->mapsforge maps-->VTM viewer) disable it. It could be causing problems.

No problems with that anymore, just wanted to let you know that there might be an issue. I don't use VTM as it's still missing some rendering options for themes.
Maybe it's got to do with the root folder or the new profiles? Some of my settings were changed, too, e.g. "unlock screen automatically" and "turn on display with alerts" were disabled after update.

Sorry, but I have removed that option. I was going crazy with the emails from users who disabled one or the other, and then couldn't find the buttons or the panel.

You can make the top bar hide automatically, but the left panel can no longer be disabled.
Oh, that's too bad. Please add that option again! I only use some custom buttons and the left panel, and the top bar is totally redundant and takes screen space EVERY time when I start OruxMaps, use a different screen than the map screen etc. I really liked having the map as large as possible! The problem with users who don't realize their mistake is an one-time issue for them. Now this is a all-the-time issue for users who disabled the top bar before. Maybe make some fat warning screen when using this option?

The Tracks database location issue is a bit tricky, especially if you've given the app permission to access all files. The directories in root storage were then reused. Since you had two databases in use, I'm assuming you didn't copy the one from the private storage to the public one.
No, I didn't. Maybe add some info for that when activating "access all files" permission? You did that well when we had to move to private folders, so now this would be appropriate, too.

Remember that the directory marked in configuration-->app storage-->Tracks/routes directory is where the gpx/kml,... are stored, but the database has always been in oruxmaps/tracklogs/, in public or private storage.
Yes, but I always had tracklogs and the database in the same folder, so which is oruxmaps/tracklogs/. When you use the default locations, this was always the same. Now the tracks remain in the configured folder (which is the default of scoped storage), but the database is first time ever in a different one...
Luckily we have a member who has made a script to merge Tracks databases :)

If you send me the oruxmapstracks.db I can merge them, and by the way see that I do it well :)
I realized yesterday that I could import the automatically generated backup gpx files to the database, I hope everything important is imported that way? Looks good to me at least.

QuoteThis is also a bit strange. I have no similar reports.

Same as the first problem, maybe it's time for a reinstall (remember to backup first all you have in the private app storage!)...
Indeed, maybe also related to old profiles? I've been using OruxMaps since 13 years, so there might be time to clean up a bit :-D

QuoteAndroid ever makes a mess with permissions, have you tried opening GPS Test or similar, and see if it updates the positions?

Might be worth a try, thanks!

Tronpo

Something is really wrong here. I've been a OruxMaps user since ages, but haven't had so many issues ever... I'm using currently a Galaxy A52s 5G with Android 13 since September 2021.

Best regards,
Tobias
[/quote]

Hello, I have knowledge that there is another user with the same problems as you, and curiously with the same phone ...
He has verified that the same thing happens using other apps for outdoor activities.
It seems that it is Android who turns off the GPS, I understand that you record route with screen off (use in the background) you can check if with screen on the operation is correct
And recording route does not turn off the GPS.

troNpo

eartrumpet

Quote from: Tronpo on June 15, 2023, 07:41:22 AM
Hello, I have knowledge that there is another user with the same problems as you, and curiously with the same phone ...
He has verified that the same thing happens using other apps for outdoor activities.
It seems that it is Android who turns off the GPS, I understand that you record route with screen off (use in the background) you can check if with screen on the operation is correct
And recording route does not turn off the GPS.
Thanks, interesting. Maybe some update of Android caused that? Because it used to work without issues, and I checked energy optimization settings for OruxMaps, they are off.
I record a track with screen off with OruxMaps when this happens. I didn't try a different outdoor app and not with screen on (that issue can happen after some hours of recording, so screen on is not really an option if I don't want to drain the battery). But I used the phone with a car navigation app with screen on without the issue, but not as long as when recording a track with OruxMaps.

orux

Quote from: eartrumpet on June 15, 2023, 09:38:21 PM
Thanks, interesting. Maybe some update of Android caused that? Because it used to work without issues, and I checked energy optimization settings for OruxMaps, they are off.
I record a track with screen off with OruxMaps when this happens. I didn't try a different outdoor app and not with screen on (that issue can happen after some hours of recording, so screen on is not really an option if I don't want to drain the battery). But I used the phone with a car navigation app with screen on without the issue, but not as long as when recording a track with OruxMaps.

Power settings are a bit of a mess, since Android 9.

There is a standard Android setting (battery optimization). But manufacturers have included many others. In fact, the Android standard, although it exists, is ignored on some phones.

Protected apps, apps that can work in the background, apps that are not optimized, apps that are not intelligently managed,... The names are varied.

Another important issue is that if some energy saving mode is activated, the apps are stopped yes or yes when they go to the background.

Finally, I have frequently seen that some Android updates break some permissions, and the only solution to get the app working normally in the background again is a reinstallation.

The main problem is that the apps don't know what state the phone is in. It can only know if the app is optimized or not (the default setting).

orux

Maki

Quote from: eartrumpet on June 15, 2023, 09:38:21 PM

Same phone for me and A32 for a friend and same issue a couple of times with both Oruxmaps and Locus. We disabled "adaptive battery" (or something like that, it's a general setting, not app-related) and took care that the app is in the foreground before turning screen off and apparently it's ok. Maybe a coincidence, I mean it happened randomly a couple of times but in at least one occasion I did switch to Peakfinder and turned the screen off.

eartrumpet

Quote from: Maki on June 22, 2023, 11:48:59 AM
Same phone for me and A32 for a friend and same issue a couple of times with both Oruxmaps and Locus. We disabled "adaptive battery" (or something like that, it's a general setting, not app-related) and took care that the app is in the foreground before turning screen off and apparently it's ok. Maybe a coincidence, I mean it happened randomly a couple of times but in at least one occasion I did switch to Peakfinder and turned the screen off.
Thanks Maki, yes, that's what I'm trying now too - keep OruxMaps ind the foreground before turning the screen off. I hope it works now, but it used to work running in background and screen off. Probably really an issue of an Android update, and/or I haven't had OruxMaps in the background before the update which of OruxMaps which caused all the other issues mentionend above. So the last issue is probably not related.

@Orux, the first and the third issue are solved for me, but might be problems again for other users..

But please reconsider adding the option to remove the menu bar, it's really a waste of map space and even if it disappears after ten seconds (I usually don't look that long at the map), it reappears all the time when interacting with OruxMaps.

ut

Quote from: orux on June 11, 2023, 07:14:38 PM

I confirm problems with map style and 10.0.x GP (and last Beta) with VTM: without VTM viewer Oruxmaps works perfectly with OpenAndroMaps "Elevate" (last version 5.2) that I can configure (mtb, city, walking,...).
However if I activate VTM viewer  I can not change the theme or configure it (it works with last theme and setting I used without VTM viewer)!

Clearing the cache doesn't fix anything :-\      VTM viewer is very nice and it's a pity not to use it......

Ps: the same thing with previus 9.7beta18 as described
https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=41039.msg55130#msg55130

abq

Hi Tobias,
I had always used the 7.4 version for several reasons and switched only last week to the current GP version. I have experienced the same behavior with the cursor being static at a specific point. I checked the power management settings, but they were OK. After increasing the frequency of GPS recordings (2sec., interval 5m) it all of a sudden worked.
Reiner