new multilingual mapsforge maps

Started by notbru, June 15, 2017, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notbru

I'm using new mapsforge openandromaps (Alps_ML) with orux 7.0.12.

Very nice to switch between languages.

But: when i choose default language (--), orux takes the language what is chosen in orux global settings. However, default language should be taken from OSM-tag name. So mapnames would be displayed according to the national languages (French for France, Italian for Italy, German for Germany, Austria ...).

Thank you for this great app!

notbru

notbru

to say it more clearly:

in orux 7.0.12 multilingual map Alps_ML is displayed (from openandromaps.org).

global settings / application / language = de_DE (e.g.)

global settings / maps / mapsforge-settings / default language = --

map-adjustments / language for mapsforge-maps = --

with these settings mapnames should be displayed with OSM-tag name (the default-name, usually it's the name in the national language). For example Venezia (Italy), Nice (France).

But] mapnames are displayed in the application-language german, if OSM-tag name_deis existent. For example: Venedig, Nizza.

Would be nice, if behaviour could be changed.

Thank you and nice greetings, notbru

eartrumpet

Just set the default mapsforge language setting to "---" and you get the behaviour you want.

eartrumpet

Quote from: "eartrumpet"Just set the default mapsforge language setting to "---" and you get the behaviour you want.

Oh, sorry, tested with a map whith same default "name" language as the app

You're right, the app language shouldn't influence the map language, the other two settings are enough.

eartrumpet

This bug is still in the current version, when no special language is selected ("--"), the app language setting prevents seeing the default name.

Reproducable like this:

- use Alps_Ost from OpenAndroMaps

- go for example to Bolzano/Bozen (South Tyrol is great for testing this as the official name is in two languages)

- select "--" as mapsforge language - now you should most of the time see the names in Italian and German, as this is the default value

- if you have set your app language to any other than German or Italian, "Bolzano - Bozen" is shown

- if you set to German, only "Bozen" is shown, not as expected the default value "Bolzano - Bozen" (Italian the other way around)

- select "en" as mapsforge language, "Bolzano - Bozen" is shown - here OruxMaps, as there's no english name, defaults correctly to the official name

Why is this bad? The default value "name=*" is not selectable when your app is in a language where a different name is available, here "name:de=*"

So I can't see the official name without always switching to the language of the country I'm looking at, e.g. switching between German (or "--") for Austria, Italian for Italy and Slovenian for Slovenia if I'm looking at an area which contains all three countries.

orux

Quote from: eartrumpet post_id=14153 time=1535576310 user_id=518
This bug is still in the current version, when no special language is selected ("--"), the app language setting prevents seeing the default name.

Reproducable like this:

- use Alps_Ost from OpenAndroMaps

- go for example to Bolzano/Bozen (South Tyrol is great for testing this as the official name is in two languages)

- select "--" as mapsforge language - now you should most of the time see the names in Italian and German, as this is the default value

- if you have set your app language to any other than German or Italian, "Bolzano - Bozen" is shown

- if you set to German, only "Bozen" is shown, not as expected the default value "Bolzano - Bozen" (Italian the other way around)

- select "en" as mapsforge language, "Bolzano - Bozen" is shown - here OruxMaps, as there's no english name, defaults correctly to the official name

Why is this bad? The default value "name=*" is not selectable when your app is in a language where a different name is available, here "name:de=*"

So I can't see the official name without always switching to the language of the country I'm looking at, e.g. switching between German (or "--") for Austria, Italian for Italy and Slovenian for Slovenia if I'm looking at an area which contains all three countries.

Hello!

The app was replacing "--" with the default locale. I will let the '*' selected option instead of replacing it with app locale,

orux

orux

Please, test the last beta to see if the language selection works as expected,

orux

eartrumpet

Thanks a lot, works now as expected!