Online Maps : Help !!!

Started by LaurentG, July 09, 2019, 03:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurentG

Hi everybody,

about Online maps, there are several kind of maps :

1 -The ones available under the "Layers" folder, which are defined in onlinemapsources.xml and in customonlinemaps/onlinemapsources.xml files

2 - The ones defined under "WMS" folder

3 - the ones defined under "WMTS"

I'm quite "lost" with these three concepts (and I'm sure I'm not alone....)

What are the differences between them ?

Where are defined "WMS" and "WMTS" online maps ? (OruxMaps comes with a few WMS predefined maps, and no WMTS)

In particular, what is the purpose of wms_services.xml file ? Even if I update it adding some WMS services, it seems to be not taken into account (while it is mentioned in pdf manual, and, according to this manual, supposed to be used).

If someone who is "comfortable" with these various concepts could write some clear documentation on

- what are various Online maps

- how to use them,

I'm sure it would be of a very great help, not only for me, but also for a lot of OruxMaps users !

Many thanks in advance to who will answer to this help request !

PS: There is also the folder "MULTIMAPS" : For these ones, I know how to define them... but I don't know where these definition are stored....

LaurentG

Subsidiary question : Actually, under "Layers" folder, in "World" subfolder, there is also a map, named "VEC:Mapnik->mapsforge" .... that is not defined in onlinemapsources.xml file...

Where does it come from ????