New beta version, 7.5.9betaX

Started by orux, July 05, 2019, 08:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orux

Quote from: Luke on April 28, 2020, 10:44:52 PM
Quote from: orux on April 24, 2020, 04:54:00 PM
Quote from: Luke on April 22, 2020, 09:43:09 PM
Hi, in latest beta pitch/roll "compass" doesn't work. It's brown circle inside of compass trying to reset pitch/roll doesn't help. Short tap shows menu "set new values". I need this beta because I have separate cadence and speed sensors.  One more thing automatic map scroll isn't smooth (phone-xperia xa)
Hello!
Android version?
What do you mean with 'automatic map scroll isn't smooth'? DIfferent than last beta?
orux

Android if i good remember 7 or 8(latest official firmware).
Changed map and its better.
But still window of this pitch/roll-gyroscope is brown doesn't work.

One more question, is there a way to race with own recorded gpx "shadow" ?
Yes, you can run against yourself if the GPX has timestamps.
In global settings-->Tracks/routes-->show partner

orux

Andrea65

Hello Orux/Jose,

I tested yesterday the last Beta 39 and I found a quite big problem in the total ascent calculation.
As usual, I also used my Garmin Edge 1000 (current FW 15.30) as reference and my local GIS cartography dbase.

I rode (MTB) for approximately 40 km on flat land around my house and the Beta 39 reported a clearly wrong 410 m (four hundred) of total ascent! Simply impossible!

Checking the GIS dbase, max terrain elevation is 25 m and min elevation is 18 m. In addition I passed 2 bridges over the highway.
Manual calculation of total ascent (using the official GIS dbase elevation data and knowing the bridges elevation) gives approximately 40 m of total ascent.

My Garmin Edge 1000 reported 55 m of total ascent: checking the elevation graph it looks it is bit over estimated, so the manual calculated 40 m should be the most accurate.

So, in conclusion, the new Beta 39 looks to have big problem of elevation acquisition and of total ascent calculation.

Kindly let me know if you want to have the Beta 39 recorded file and/or the Garmin files. I will be pleased to provide you (by email).

Kind regards, Andrea

Mapper-Alps12

Hola Orux,

you're great! :) Thank you for the tip in #239, now it works. Keep on going like that! Oruxmaps is really the best android app for topographic maps!!!!

Luke

Quote from: orux on April 29, 2020, 08:14:17 AM
Quote from: Luke on April 28, 2020, 10:44:52 PM
Quote from: orux on April 24, 2020, 04:54:00 PM
Quote from: Luke on April 22, 2020, 09:43:09 PM
Hi, in latest beta pitch/roll "compass" doesn't work. It's brown circle inside of compass trying to reset pitch/roll doesn't help. Short tap shows menu "set new values". I need this beta because I have separate cadence and speed sensors.  One more thing automatic map scroll isn't smooth (phone-xperia xa)
Hello!
Android version?
What do you mean with 'automatic map scroll isn't smooth'? DIfferent than last beta?
orux

Android if i good remember 7 or 8(latest official firmware).
Changed map and its better.
But still window of this pitch/roll-gyroscope is brown doesn't work.

One more question, is there a way to race with own recorded gpx "shadow" ?
Yes, you can run against yourself if the GPX has timestamps.
In global settings-->Tracks/routes-->show partner

orux

Orux and what about window of this pitch/roll-gyroscope is brown doesn't work (xperia xa adroid 7).

orux

Quote from: Andrea65 on April 29, 2020, 09:55:39 AM
Hello Orux/Jose,

I tested yesterday the last Beta 39 and I found a quite big problem in the total ascent calculation.
As usual, I also used my Garmin Edge 1000 (current FW 15.30) as reference and my local GIS cartography dbase.

I rode (MTB) for approximately 40 km on flat land around my house and the Beta 39 reported a clearly wrong 410 m (four hundred) of total ascent! Simply impossible!

Checking the GIS dbase, max terrain elevation is 25 m and min elevation is 18 m. In addition I passed 2 bridges over the highway.
Manual calculation of total ascent (using the official GIS dbase elevation data and knowing the bridges elevation) gives approximately 40 m of total ascent.

My Garmin Edge 1000 reported 55 m of total ascent: checking the elevation graph it looks it is bit over estimated, so the manual calculated 40 m should be the most accurate.

So, in conclusion, the new Beta 39 looks to have big problem of elevation acquisition and of total ascent calculation.

Kindly let me know if you want to have the Beta 39 recorded file and/or the Garmin files. I will be pleased to provide you (by email).

Kind regards, Andrea
Hello!

Your Garmin uses an altimeter-barometer for altitude calculation.
Do your phone has barometer sensor?
With the GPS without a barometer, on mainly flat terrain it is not easy to clean the errors that the GPS provides unless you have a barometer. The only solution is to do a strong filter afterward, correcting the altitude in the Track file.

Send me the GPX, and I watch it.

orux

Andrea65

Quote from: orux on April 30, 2020, 04:20:18 PM
Hello Orux/Jose,

Kind regards, Andrea
Hello!

With the GPS without a barometer, on mainly flat terrain it is not easy to clean the errors that the GPS provides unless you have a barometer. The only solution is to do a strong filter afterward, correcting the altitude in the Track file.

orux

Hello Orux,

from one of our old discussion about elevation errors, I have (wrongly) understood that you were querying the Google Maps elevation model (DEM) to get a more precise elevation.
That's why I reported you the problem.

Understood now that the Beta 39 doesn't do that elevation correction. So, probably this problem is all related to the GPS on its own. However, I do not remember to have had such a kind of big errors using the 7.4.22. I will soon ride the same course recording it with the 7.4.22 and I will let you know.

I will send to you the GPX file by email today.

Kind regards, Andrea

Andrea65

Buttons for Save and Delete trace/course are too next!

Hello Orux,
within the Tracks Manager page I did a mistake and I involuntary deleted my last ride instead of saving it in an exportable format!

So, I discovered 3 problems at once!

1st problem: Save and Delete buttons shall not be one next to the other. Yes, there are then following warning screens... but the Italian translation really is not good enough for the purpose (I do not want to blame anyone, but, honestly, it is not so clear in explaining what's going on. I do not use Save so frequently to promptly realize I was deleting the file. I misunderstood all for just warnings about the fact that the saved file would not have been including waypoints and the like).

2nd problem: There is no Undelete option... (:-<)

3rd problem: That last ride was rode on 27th April and on the device there was a backup (oruxmapstracks.db) dated 27-04-2020, but it was not including that last ride (:-<)

and, finally, ... why there was not any further backup? Today is the 30 April 2020...
Or, at least, I would have expected a backup do be performed before any tracks deletion...

All the best
Kind regards,
Andrea

orux

Quote from: Andrea65 on April 30, 2020, 05:54:56 PM
Quote from: orux on April 30, 2020, 04:20:18 PM
Hello Orux/Jose,

Kind regards, Andrea
Hello!

orux

Hello Orux,

from one of our old discussion about elevation errors, I have (wrongly) understood that you were querying the Google Maps elevation model (DEM) to get a more precise elevation.
That's why I reported you the problem.

Understood now that the Beta 39 doesn't do that elevation correction. So, probably this problem is all related to the GPS on its own. However, I do not remember to have had such a kind of big errors using the 7.4.22. I will soon ride the same course recording it with the 7.4.22 and I will let you know.

I will send to you the GPX file by email today.

Kind regards, Andrea
No, you have to check in global settings that you want the app to use the DEM files. By default the app uses the GPS information. This is the behaviour from the bvery begining of the app.

You can see the values in 7.4.22 if in import the GPX in that app version. It gives you the same values aprox.

orux

orux

Quote from: Andrea65 on April 30, 2020, 06:26:44 PM
Buttons for Save and Delete trace/course are too next!

Hello Orux,
within the Tracks Manager page I did a mistake and I involuntary deleted my last ride instead of saving it in an exportable format!

So, I discovered 3 problems at once!

1st problem: Save and Delete buttons shall not be one next to the other. Yes, there are then following warning screens... but the Italian translation really is not good enough for the purpose (I do not want to blame anyone, but, honestly, it is not so clear in explaining what's going on. I do not use Save so frequently to promptly realize I was deleting the file. I misunderstood all for just warnings about the fact that the saved file would not have been including waypoints and the like).

2nd problem: There is no Undelete option... (:-<)

3rd problem: That last ride was rode on 27th April and on the device there was a backup (oruxmapstracks.db) dated 27-04-2020, but it was not including that last ride (:-<)

and, finally, ... why there was not any further backup? Today is the 30 April 2020...
Or, at least, I would have expected a backup do be performed before any tracks deletion...

All the best
Kind regards,
Andrea
The backup is to avoid system problems / crashes, not user actions. It is a weekly backup, not 'all moment' backup, it's not realistic to do that kind of backup.
You can easy get another kinds of backup:--set automatic GPX/KML creation after track recording finish, in this way you have your track in file system in gpx/kml,... formats
--sync your files on the cloud, with Drive/Dropbox,... sync apps.--upload automatically your tracks to the server after finish (Strava, Orux)....

orux

Andrea65

Hello Orux, many thanks for all the clear replies.

All the best!
Andrea

Andrea65

About DEM files

Hello Orux,
I have a Garmin compatible DEM file (dem.img) of entire Europe (approximately 1GB in size).
It is quite old (2014) but good enough for my general purpose.
I copied it into the DEM directory but I could not find any way to specify its usage.
How can I set its usage or at least how can I verify it is compatible/detected by the application?

Thanks and regards, Andrea

afgb1977

Hola Orux.
Acabo de probar la Beta 7.5.9_41, felicitaciones, es tremenda. En una ocasión pasada había preguntado sobre la mejora en el dibujo de polígonos. Esta Beta se acerca mucho a lo que había pensado que se podía hacer. Quería preguntar si es posible implementar en el futuro el uso del visor central  para mejorar el dibujo. Me explico mejor:
Cuando se dibuja un polígono a mano es poca la precisión que se obtiene. Al usar el visor central combinado con + se podría anexar una línea desde el punto anterior.
Sé que esto se hace en el creador de tracks. Pero podría implementarlo en el dibujo de capas?
Gracias por su trabajo.

jb

Hello,

i have used several versions of the beta with openandromaps.com. Now I am on lineage os 17.1 and if I try to download the maps from openandromaps,  Orux tells me that, I don't have a Wifi connection. But every other apps works with wifi.
Is there a problem with Lineage oder some setting I can change?
Thanks in advance.

matt

Quote from: Andrea65 on May 02, 2020, 10:35:43 PM
About DEM files

Hello Orux,
I have a Garmin compatible DEM file (dem.img) of entire Europe (approximately 1GB in size).
I copied it into the DEM directory but I could not find any way to specify its usage.
How can I set its usage or at least how can I verify it is compatible/detected by the application?

Hello Andrea,
i can't say anything about your Garmin DEM file, but regarding the usage see:
https://www.oruxmaps.com/cs/en/blog
e.g. I utilize items 2, 3 and 6 mentioned in the list.
Instead of your old DEM file, you may want to look into the files from Sonny: https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=3894.0
However, all this is not related to the new beta version of OM ;-)
Matt

afgb1977

Quote from: Andrea65 on May 02, 2020, 10:35:43 PM
About DEM files

Hello Orux,

Hi. I think OruxMaps uses DEM files in .hgt and DEM + Hdr format. You can download compatible DEM files from:
http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html
https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/products/nasadem_hgtv001/#tools
https://e4ftl01.cr.usgs.gov/MEASURES/NASADEM_HGT.001/ (1 "Global DEM)
By browsing the web you can find other sources, in addition to the one that OruxMaps offers directly.
A trick to save space: 1 "DEM for your city, 3" for the rest of your country and 15 "for the continent.