Consistency between dashboard configuration and presentation

Started by jbreizh, June 14, 2023, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbreizh

Hi
Fresh user of the GP version after years on free version, i don't know if is the right place to report wish/bug. Also french, so i do my best to have the more accurate description.

So i find the icon of the dashboard very unintuitive to configure. I quote the manual :

QuoteThe data is stacked from left to right, from bottom to top according to the order in which we place them in 'Global settings' - 'User Interface' - 'Dashboard' -'User Interface

I think there is a good technical reason for this choice, but from a user, this is very hard to predict the end result....
right to left, from bottom to top or better left to right, from top to bottom are way easier to predict for the average human being without having to read the manual for that.

An other thing (totally not related) : i am using a giant ebike and i buy the GP version to have access to the sensors with BLE (my phone is not ANT+ compatible). It work but with the actual separation between cadence sensors and power sensors it's not possible to have both... so is it technicly possible to add a custom BLE sensors that user can customize. Maybe an idea for the future.

Anyway great app, great work, thanks

orux

Quote from: jbreizh on June 14, 2023, 06:31:05 PM
Hi
Fresh user of the GP version after years on free version, i don't know if is the right place to report wish/bug. Also french, so i do my best to have the more accurate description.

So i find the icon of the dashboard very unintuitive to configure. I quote the manual :

I think there is a good technical reason for this choice, but from a user, this is very hard to predict the end result....
right to left, from bottom to top or better left to right, from top to bottom are way easier to predict for the average human being without having to read the manual for that.

An other thing (totally not related) : i am using a giant ebike and i buy the GP version to have access to the sensors with BLE (my phone is not ANT+ compatible). It work but with the actual separation between cadence sensors and power sensors it's not possible to have both... so is it technicly possible to add a custom BLE sensors that user can customize. Maybe an idea for the future.

Anyway great app, great work, thanks

With Android it's complicated, there are thousands of variations of screen sizes. That is why it is not easy to define absolute positions. And depending on the state of the app, or the activated controls, the possible combinations are thousands. That's why the app places them from bottom to top, from left to right.

About the power sensor. Normally it provides all the data that the cadence sensor does, isn't it?

orux

jbreizh

Hello,
thanks for the answer.

For the icon of the dashboard : ok thanks for the technical reason, i obviously can live with it.

For the ebike connection : i have made some test

- cadence/speed sensors : everything work (speed, battery, cadence) It have test it for 2 VTT ride of 40km and no problem, it's consistent
- power sensors : I just test it for a small ride. Only power work (i think it's motor power, i m not really sure) and battery. Cadence sensors is detected but stay at 0. Speed sensors is also detected but give result way to fast. I think that the bike send multiple parameter and it confuse oruxmaps.

I have put some test i have done with IpSensorMan, BLEScanner and oruxmaps. There is also a manual i have done to configure oruxmaps with a giant bike as i wanted to explain it on some forum/FB group.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QUAd41YR-icBtBcDRdobk16ewQ15ZWZY?usp=sharing

With BLE one connexion only, i can't have consistent batterie,speed, cadence + power together. Honnestly, it can be cool to have it, but i also can live without.
One feature, that can be reasonably done and usefull from a ebike perspective is to store the battery measure to be display in the statistic and graph. I suppose it had not been done because nobody care of the battery from an after market sensor, but for an ebike, it very interesting to see the battery draining in a graph with altitude...

Thanks for your attention, have a nice day