Mapbox format offline maps

Started by Hauke, March 25, 2024, 10:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauke

Huge step forward: Was able to create my own Offline map successfully! Lots of manual work, and still need to investigate some details to get it nice, but the "Proof of concept" is done and works! I'll write up a full guide at a later point, when I worked all out.
Thanks again Tronpo, your example offline map was very valuable for this!

Tronpo

I'm glad you accomplished!! Looking forward to seeing your progress

Hauke

Quick Update: I've now all things in place - a detailed write-up will follow, but I may need a few weeks time for that, other projects looming. So here's what I currently achieved:

An offline atlas that contains:
  • The basemap.de rendering, slightly altered to show different kinds of wood (needleleaved, broadleaved, ...)
  • The contour lines from basemap.de (these are excellent in quality!)
  • An overlay of OpenStreetMap data, like POIs, access rights (e.g. parking places for only customers or that require a fee) etc., generated from the Geofabrik pbf files via tilemaker into mbtiles format
  • Sprites and Glyphs of basemap plus my own additions (Can recommend free texture packer for generating the sprites files)
Using QGis I downloaded the basemap data into two mbtiles DBs (map data + contour lines), and added my OSM mbtiles.

I created this for the German states Northrhine-Westfalia and Rhineland-Palatinate, which add up to about 50.000 kmĀ² --> This just eats up 650 MB! That is just amazing!

I really like that I even can edit the style of basemap - I guess to save rendering resources I might disable objects in the map that are of no interest for me.

This is very new, so I need to gather a bit of real world experience with it - one thing I can observe: If I use this offline atlas, adding also Orux Maps hillshading, my phone's battery eats away rather quickly... I hope that this is just because I played around so much just now, enjoying my product... To be on the safe side, I'll bring a powerbank for the next hiking tour :-)

Also, when browsing around a lot in the map, at some point something breaks and the rendering of new areas is incomplete. Loading another map and switching back to mine fixes it. I guess it's a bit too much for the limited resources of my phone...

Tronpo

Hello, you already have the first follower of your thread about these maps.
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your knowledge