New style: SimplyHike

Started by dsvilko, January 16, 2014, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eartrumpet

Hi Dsvilko,

I had a quick look at your theme, great that there are now more variants for different users/devices. I still dread the additional work to port Elevate to HD devices, as there are so many details which are optimized to the way things are...

Some issues I found:

- peaks with crosses don't show names/ele, because those captions get eliminated by the bigger symbol

- many captions still have the color of Elevate, which corresponds to the used symbols; as your now using Maki's set those colors don't make sense anymore

- the new shop/power symbols are still the same as in Elevate with different colors than Maki's and are smaller, which looks not very consistent; you can get larger ones of the SJJB icons here: http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/downloads">http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/downloads - try the all color or the svg set to have something to choose from.

Best regards,

Tobias

dsvilko

Quote from: "eartrumpet"Hi Dsvilko,

I had a quick look at your theme, great that there are now more variants for different users/devices. I still dread the additional work to port Elevate to HD devices, as there are so many details which are optimized to the way things are...

Some issues I found:

- peaks with crosses don't show names/ele, because those captions get eliminated by the bigger symbol

- many captions still have the color of Elevate, which corresponds to the used symbols; as your now using Maki's set those colors don't make sense anymore

- the new shop/power symbols are still the same as in Elevate with different colors than Maki's and are smaller, which looks not very consistent; you can get larger ones of the SJJB icons here: http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/downloads">http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/downloads - try the all color or the svg set to have something to choose from.

Best regards,

Tobias

Thanks for the excellent tips! As for the porting of your theme, I've written a simple perl script that can up-scale or down-scale any .xml style file. It's not perfect but no way am I willing to independently maintain 6 separate .xml files. I only make changes to the main SimplyHike.xml and all the others get automatically build from that one. If you are interested, I can email it.

eartrumpet

Quote from: "dsvilko"As for the porting of your theme, I've written a simple perl script that can up-scale or down-scale any .xml style file. It's not perfect but no way am I willing to independently maintain 6 separate .xml files. I only make changes to the main SimplyHike.xml and all the others get automatically build from that one. If you are interested, I can email it.

Thanks, I'll send you a PM. The bigger piece of work would be to have a new larger set of icons, and only the original SJJB are available in larger sizes or SVG, and I can't even test it on a real xhdpi device. The other factor is the upcoming mapsforge 0.4 which makes scaling a lot easier and supports svg icons, so only one set would be used for all devices.

Maki

Quote from: "eartrumpet" The other factor is the upcoming mapsforge 0.4 which makes scaling a lot easier and supports svg icons, so only one set would be used for all devices.

I'm not really sure about that. If I understand correctly what I've read on mapsforge-dev SVG icons will be automatically rescaled to fill the same area. To my eyes that's not a good news, a post box should not have the same size of a post office. It can probably worked around adding transparent space around smaller icons but, unless transparency is taken in account for collision detection, this will have side effects.

dsvilko

If anyone is interested, I have made a significant update:

- a few bug-fixes

- replaced some icons

- road tweaks (small road shadows for better visibility)

- less crowded maps on HD devices

- less crowded urban areas at lower zoom levels

- thicker ralway lines

- MTB_scale tweaks: smaller symbols, scale 0 is now green for better visibility

- much better cycleways and tweaked cycle network rendering

jumagagra

I can't see the lines of height (level curves). Can someone help me to see them?

Thanks a lot

0n1y

unfortunately download link leads to SimplyHike 0.96 version, not 0.98.

dsvilko

Actually, it is 0.98. I just forgot to change the version number in the file (I have edited the description in the first post independently).