Elevate - Openandromaps hiking, cycling, sightseeing themes

Started by eartrumpet, January 17, 2014, 11:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eartrumpet

Elevate has been updated, please use the latest maps for these versions. Biggest changes are optimized rendering of settlement names and regional cycling routes starting ZL10 for most maps.

All changes:

4.2.5 10/08/18

- added aerialway=zip_line, aerialway=station, regional cycling routes for ZL10/11 (maps of end of July 2018 and later), zoom-min for valley/canyon/peninsula, cw_lane_oneway/cw_track_oneway

- optimized rendering of settlement names rendering including improved popcat implementation (maps 06/08/18 and later), access for mtb mapstyle, mountain_range/mountain_area, oneways

- removed old cycleway tags

2.8.5 10/08/18

- added aerialway=zip_line, aerialway=station, regional cycling routes for ZL10/11 (maps of end of July 2018 and later), zoom-min for valley/canyon/peninsula, cw_lane_oneway/cw_track_oneway

- optimized rendering of settlement names rendering including improved popcat implementation (maps 06/08/18 and later), mountain_range/mountain_area

- removed old cycleway tags

eartrumpet

Elevate has been updated. Mainly to support some new map features and similar treatment of surfaces of non-cycling-paths in cycling/MTB non-cycling paths as non-hiking-paths in hiking.

All changes:

4.2.6 08/10/18

- cycling/MTB style: changed rendering for footways/paths without mtb_scale/bicycle=yes etc., now similar as in hiking: brown means unpaved path/footway (or path without surface information); grey means paved path/footway (or footway without surface information)

- added watermill, windpump, osmc way color orange, boundary_stone

- changed symbols for bicycle shop, cinema, rearranged drawing order of some areas

2.8.6 08/10/18

- added watermill, windpump, boundary_stone

- changed symbols for bicycle shop, cinema, rearranged drawing order of some areas

eartrumpet

There's a new Elevate update after a while. With Elevate 4.3 there are new optional overlays: in the city map style small ways like paths and tracks can be switched off, so the map will be more clear and is better usable for motorists. In hiking resp. cycling/MTB it is now possible to mark paths and tracks where the usage by foot/bike is permitted – this is important in countries where usage is forbidden/private in the first place. Also in cycling now ways are marked especially which are allowed for cycling, but are maybe too steep/rough. And as always some smaller changes.

Some time ago an additional license was added, so Elevate can now be used commercially (but then changing it isn't allowed). As Elevate is now the main mapstyle for OpenAndroMaps and not the Andromaps mapstyles, and not an additional exclusive one.

Elevate 2 is now deprecated and won't be updated anymore, as it was already announced in the forum. Most apps, like c:geo recently, now support mapsforge rendertheme V4 mapstyles with mapstyle menus, therefore the parallel development doesn't make much sense anymore.

4.3.0 01/05/19

- new switchable overlays: paths + tracks (city), marking of permitted foot/cycle paths (hiking/cycling/mtb) - for countries where usage is forbidden by default or questionable

- added transformation of bridleways to paths/cycleways if using by foot/bike is legal (hiking/cycling/mtb), transformation of paths with bicycle=yes AND mtb:scale=1+ or sac_scale=T2+ to cycleways but with red dashes (cycling), ft_permit and ft_destination to other positive foot-rules

- changed old network=mtb to newer network_mtb=lay_mtb, MTB: leisure=track with mtb:scale is now rendered like MTB trails, emphasized access=no pattern

eartrumpet

There's an update of Elevate 4. The option to emphasize paved cycleways/footways (Cycling/City) and show paved tracks in ZL12 was added, as well as the rendering of aboriginal lands.

All changes:

4.3.1 12/06/19

- added emphasized paved cycleways resp. footpaths (cycling/city), tracktype=grade1 to ZL12 in Elevate, boundary=aboriginal_lands

- changed pipeline caption size

- small fixes

eartrumpet

There's a minor update for Elevate 4. There was in fix for NL/BE hiking nodes in the latest maps, and the map styles had to be changed for this, too. Also there is a new option to mark easy hiking paths in MTB map style.

4.3.2 08/07/19

- changed hiking nodes caption from name to addr:housenumber for maps with new tag-mapping, zoom-min for admin_level=4

- added option to show sac_scale=T1/hiking on paths without bicycle=* (may no be allowed to use by bike in certain countries)

eartrumpet

Elevate has been updated. Some new map features are now rendered, and surface is now shown all the time in hiking/cycling/mtb map styles. Also if map background is turned off in city map style, bodies of water will still be shown.

All changes:

4.3.3 26/09/19

- added surface rendering for all tracks in hiking/cycling/mtb (as tracktype isn't always consistent with surface), tourism=artwork, natural=earth_bank, natural=gully, barrier=ditch, closed=yes for man_made=groyne

- changed map background option for city - bodies of water will now show, optimized landcover rendering for multipolygons with missing inners, changed zoom level for river captions, changed footway/path areas (rendering depends now on surface), restricted generator:source to power=generator

- fixed missing casings for some tracks at ZL13, improved spanish translations

eartrumpet

I released a new Elevate version. This is now optimized for mapsforge 0.12 and higher (at least 0.6.1), as the OruxMaps version which uses 0.12 is still in beta phase (now beta35!), the optimizations for the curved texts are currently only usable in the beta version.

All changes:

4.4.0 15/04/20
- changed to rendertheme V5 and removed deprecated tags, so now at least mapsforge 0.6.1 is necessary
- optimized all pathtexts for mapsforge 0.12 rendering (esp. route refs and street names, increased tiny font sizes), optimized oneway symbols
- added man_made=petroleum_well, attraction=summer_toboggan, priority to playground, rendering for strict nature reserves (protect_class=1), rendering of protect_class=2/3/4 for maps starting 03/2020
- changed rendering for buildings=ruins/buildings with historic=ruins, removed symbol for ruins when they are just buildings=ruins
- removed some unnecessary slashes in waymarks ressource links, small fix for hike_node/housenumbers, code cleaned of Locus Engine optimizations

eartrumpet

The current Elevate version 4.4.0 is optimized for Mapsforge 0.12 and higher, which now supports curved path texts. E.g. contourline captions, street names and route refs use this. But this kind of rendering doesn't work so well in older Mapsforge versions, e.g. all current non-beta releases of OruxMaps. OruxMaps Beta uses Mapsforge 0.12 since 6 months, but it's a really long beta period, so still no final release. I wanted to release Elevate 4.4.0 after the beta phase is finished, so there was a long time only a release candidate for Elevate 4.4.0. But now there were too many changes in the maps that it was time to release it. Especially the data in the maps for protected areas changed, so users complained that Elevate 4.3.3.1 wouldn't show those anymore.

But there is still no end in sight for the OruxMaps beta phase (and maybe other apps still use an older Mapsforge version). So I decided to update Elevate 4.3.3.1 to 4.3.3.2 and release it as a legacy version. The only change is compatibility for protected areas with maps from 03/2020 or newer.

You can download it here:
https://www.openandromaps.org/wp-content/users/tobias/legacy/Elevate4332.zip

Quick install for OruxMaps

orux

Quote from: eartrumpet on May 09, 2020, 08:49:27 PM
The current Elevate version 4.4.0 is optimized for Mapsforge 0.12 and higher, which now supports curved path texts. E.g. contourline captions, street names and route refs use this. But this kind of rendering doesn't work so well in older Mapsforge versions, e.g. all current non-beta releases of OruxMaps. OruxMaps Beta uses Mapsforge 0.12 since 6 months, but it's a really long beta period, so still no final release. I wanted to release Elevate 4.4.0 after the beta phase is finished, so there was a long time only a release candidate for Elevate 4.4.0. But now there were too many changes in the maps that it was time to release it. Especially the data in the maps for protected areas changed, so users complained that Elevate 4.3.3.1 wouldn't show those anymore.

But there is still no end in sight for the OruxMaps beta phase (and maybe other apps still use an older Mapsforge version). So I decided to update Elevate 4.3.3.1 to 4.3.3.2 and release it as a legacy version. The only change is compatibility for protected areas with maps from 03/2020 or newer.

You can download it here:
https://www.openandromaps.org/wp-content/users/tobias/legacy/Elevate4332.zip

Quick install for OruxMaps

Hello!
I will shortly update the version available for the mapsforge 0.13 libraries, in addition to correcting a couple of things.

The current beta will take a few more weeks, it is giving me more war than expected. I have already upgraded beta version to mapsforge 0.13

orux

eartrumpet

Quote from: orux on May 10, 2020, 09:20:03 PM
Hello!
I will shortly update the version available for the mapsforge 0.13 libraries, in addition to correcting a couple of things.

The current beta will take a few more weeks, it is giving me more war than expected. I have already upgraded beta version to mapsforge 0.13

orux
Thanks Orux, that's a great solution. No pressure from me, the current solution with the legacy version is also OK.

eartrumpet

Quote from: orux on May 10, 2020, 09:20:03 PM
Hello!

orux
I just got the update for 7.5.10 GP. Will there also be an update for the free 7.4.22 with mapsforge 0.13?

eartrumpet

There's an new Elevate version available, most important a bug concerning the display of cycle route references has been fixed.

All changes:

4.4.1 07/07/20
- fixed cycle route refs
- changed route ref captions, border color for tracks, highway=service
- added refs for guideposts in waymarks overlay, waymark colors for long distance routes at zoom 9-12

eartrumpet

A new update of Elevate is available. Many small things that have been added to the maps are now visible, and it's also possible now to switch off that paths which are allowed for cycling are rendered like cycleways.

All changes:

4.4.2 26/09/20
- added barrier=log, barrier=hedge, highway=elevator, ref for railway=platform_edge/platform, amenity=townhall, protect_class=5/11 with access=no, hiking route refs for routes with waymarks colors, added/changed rendering for (special) buildings, different rendering for minor service roads, option to disable rendering of paths with cycling permitted like cycle ways (Cycling), highway=services
- changed rendering of highway=service, rendering for protected areas (replaced access=no pattern with strict nature reserve)
- fixed error in permitted cycle paths option

eartrumpet

New year, new Elevate. For all upcoming maps starting from January this one is needed, as the tags in the maps for protected areas have changed (and doesn't work with older maps).

All Changes:

4.4.3 06/01/21
– changed protected areas including new protect_class values (starting with maps January 2021)
– added blue line for paths with cycling permitted when option render like cycle ways is disabled (like in hiking), special rendering for natural/landuse areas with bridge=yes
– fixed cycleway lanes/tracks (now only shown in cycling)

DarWog

Hi Eartrumpet & Orux

Thanks for your work : "orux + openandromaps + elevate" is just amazing !

Here is a feedback on mountain trails.

When hiking in the mountains, I keep a close look on trail difficulty, to avoid sac T5 without proper equipment for example.
In the current Elevate, the colors are confusing for me, and high-difficulty trails appear in black, and may be overlooked or confused with other marks, while they could be dangerous.

So I thought of using a green-blue-orange-red colormap for sac, but the green was getting confused with many other marks, so I converged to:
T1=black (easy), T2=blue (ok), T3=orange (hard), T4=red (dangerous/alpinism), T5=pink, and T6=purple (this one is very rare)
The visibility modifies the dash/dots, and the unrated sac are light gray.

For this, I modified manually the xml so I probably crashed a few other close legends such as tracks and horse tracks...
Is there a "simple" way / software to edit the stylesheet ?

Here is a comparison of Elevate and the modification, where I find the visibility more satisfactory for my usage.