More compatible DEM files extensions (such as ESRI ASCII grid)

Started by Alejandro-FA, August 12, 2020, 11:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starfighter

I have read all the previous posts carefully and I would like to contribute my cent to the discussion.

I bring to the table two screen captures of the Cares River area from the Shadows virtual map made from DEM files; it is exactly the hillshading underlay layer alone. I hope this will help to understand what are we talking about when we refer to 5 m dem files.

One picture is from HGT files and the other is from HDR+DEM files obtained from MDT05 IGN .asc originals.

To use highly detailed DEM (hdr+dem) files should not be a problem but need to be indexed, which obviously are not.
Indexes in HGT files are included in its name, but HDR files must be read one by one to get the info and maybe store it in a database for quick access.

Zoom level of both pictures is 14

I would like the developer/s of Oruxmaps feel the need of review this part of the application because...

Oruxmaps is the only application out there that allows detailed hillshading!!!

Both pictures had to be cropped because of the ridiculous limit of 500KB per upload item in this forum. Without this limit I could post below 1 m precision dem files.