Feature suggestions to improve brouter integration

Started by olwaldi, September 03, 2020, 08:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olwaldi

I'm on the current donate version of oruxmaps (7.4.22) and use it regularly for hiking or bycycling (thus I'v donated of course). And I plan all my routes using brouter/oruxmaps. It works great but has some minor glitches. Thus I propose some changes to be considered for some upcoming versions:

[1. Reversing the planned route does NOT correct the turning hints from brouter (e. g. from turning left to turning right). Suggeytion: simply recalculate route after pressing the reverse route button.] Resolved already in 8.07 GP.

2. Add/remove route points, i. e. support editing of routes. Currently if there is any flaw in my new route one has to re-create the whole route.

3. Allow moving of route points. Quite often my route points are not exactly placed on the route by some meters introducing unwanted parts. Improve placing new route points onto nearby routeable segments.

4. There is a minor issue with speech output when reaching the route's target. A short summary of the route is given as expected, but all HTML tags are spoken, too. E. g. the HTML of route's description contains <br> statements being spoken like "less than B R greater then" and so on. Thus the phone is busy speaking some minutes (can't be interrupted). Still not resolved in 8.07.
Please fix.

Thanks for considering my suggeytions,
Michael

olwaldi

In the meantime I've moved towards oruxmaps GP 8.07 being a major improvement over 7.4.22/23.

Nevertheless I still would like to request the possibility to edit route points, an ideal solution would be to support the same editing facilities as already exist for the "normal" waypoints. Maybe I've to explain why. I "abuse" the automatic routing (from brouter) to quickly create a route along a path well known to me, just to get the nice (spoken) turning informations when following the route. Thus a typical route created this way is around 30km long consisting out of 20..30 routing "targets". When selecting the routing points carefully brouter will choose my intended path AND include turning infomation. Sadly sometimes I have to add additinal points to get "my" path. And that's the reason for my request. Currently I have to redo my whole route.

Instead of directly editing the routing points (i. e. those points created by myself through the + button) one could as well create a set of waypoints and arrange them into a route. And then - a possible solution for my request - than route is given towards brouter to create a route with navigation hints. Maybe that's easier to implement instead of editing facilities for "brouter" routes.

becool

I agree. I also really miss the possibility to edit way points later on. So instead I have to use one of the web tools out there and later import. Would be amazing to have the edit function also in Orux!

Tronpo

Hello, if I'm not mistaken you mean being able to modify or plan again an existing route, as we can do on the brouter web.
If that is the case, I agree with this wish and add that I would pay for it👍