Composite Maps

Started by Starfighter, December 02, 2023, 10:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starfighter

I've been trying to combine Shadows+OAM maps and in spite of zoom settings from 9 to 19 Shadows map stops redrawing at zoom 16.
Using VTM visor doesn't help; it can reach zoom 19 but enlarging the picture in zoom 16 as if it was the last zoom picture in a raster map.

Regards

LaurentG

What do you call "Shadows" map ?
I guess that this map is limited to zoom 16 ? In this case, it's normal that multilayer combination including "Shadows" is also limited to level 16.

Multilayer map are always limited to zoom level existing for ALL of its layers (and NOT for ANY of its layers)

If my asumption is not OK, pls share "Shadows" mapsource file, that we can test.

Starfighter

Quote from: LaurentG on December 03, 2023, 08:56:32 AM
What do you call "Shadows" map ?
I guess that this map is limited to zoom 16 ? In this case, it's normal that multilayer combination including "Shadows" is also limited to level 16.

Multilayer map are always limited to zoom level existing for ALL of its layers (and NOT for ANY of its layers)

If my asumption is not OK, pls share "Shadows" mapsource file, that we can test.

Hi, LaurentG
Zoom levels in Shadows map are up to you and I've chosen 19 as max zoom level because my DEM files are very detailed even at high zoom levels.
Shadows, Relief and Slope maps are virtual maps calculated on the fly from DEM files and maybe cached for better performance.
I'm afraid that the answer to my question can only come from someone who knows the application internals because the reason of this behavior cannot be seen at a user level.

Anyway, thanks for your interest.

I've attached a screenshot of the configuration menu where you decide maps and zoom levels that should work if you are allowed to choose...

Regards

LaurentG

Hi,

I don't know what is exactly the scope of "Min zoom level " and "Max zoom level" when you define that the "Shadow map", or "Slope map" or "Relief map"exist.
And I didn't imagine that it was this "Shadows" map that you wanted to use, because (at least in free version of OM, 7.4.26) this map is not at all "transparent" and it wouldn't make sense to "compose" it over a background map.

But if you have a look on the screen when you create the composite map, you have also to select min zoom and max zoom of each layer. And for the layer "Shadow map", these values can be only from 9 to 16....

Nevertheless, there is a very more easy way to add shadowing to any map (inc mapsforge maps, but not only) : "Map" Menu / "Overlay options" / "Show/hide shadows" (also available in "Map tools" side menu)
It works fine, and with this option, I don't know if shadowing is actually done when zoom > 16, but at least you can go higher than level 16 on the map currently displayed.

Personnally, I use it so often that I have added a custom button to "Show/hide shadows" more easily.

There also an option "Apply hill shadows" in "Mapsforge settings", but my experience is that its impact on performance is higher than the global "Show/Hide shadows", and that its result is less clear in display. For these reason, I do not use the "mapsforge specific" option, but only the one above. But pay attention : if mapsfrge specific option is set, global option is no more effective with mapsforge maps. So be careful to NOT set it.