Tack/Route statistics HTML export and underlying map

Started by LaurentG, September 27, 2018, 09:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurentG

Hi Orux,

HTML export of tracks a/o routes statistics generates a kind of "local Web site", in which, above graphs and statistics, track itself is displayed, above a Google Maps background.

This is great and really useful.  :D

Since few time, map in background is sometimes correctly displayed, BUT sometimes not, and rather an error error message "Google maps cannot display..." :(

I guess this is due to new Google policy aiming at make money with Maps, and requiring payment of Web sites using GoogleMaps API.  :evil:

And I guess that display is OK until a maximum number of API use hasn't be overpassed in the day, and not OK after. It's sure that it works more often on morning than on evening....

As a result, it would be great to be able to generate this HTML export relying no more on GoogleMaps, but rather on OpenStreetMap (or even better on OpenTopoMap).

Ideally, it could be a global option somewhere to choose between different online map services, which one to use by next HTML export.

Tanks in advance for what you'll be able to do to solve this issue.

Regards

Laurent

orux

Quote from: LaurentG post_id=14302 time=1538034252 user_id=7848
Hi Orux,

HTML export of tracks a/o routes statistics generates a kind of "local Web site", in which, above graphs and statistics, track itself is displayed, above a Google Maps background.

This is great and really useful.  :D

Since few time, map in background is sometimes correctly displayed, BUT sometimes not, and rather an error error message "Google maps cannot display..." :(

I guess this is due to new Google policy aiming at make money with Maps, and requiring payment of Web sites using GoogleMaps API.  :evil:

And I guess that display is OK until a maximum number of API use hasn't be overpassed in the day, and not OK after. It's sure that it works more often on morning than on evening....

As a result, it would be great to be able to generate this HTML export relying no more on GoogleMaps, but rather on OpenStreetMap (or even better on OpenTopoMap).

Ideally, it could be a global option somewhere to choose between different online map services, which one to use by next HTML export.

Tanks in advance for what you'll be able to do to solve this issue.

Regards

Laurent

Thanks; I will check.

The html is using a static google maps api call. I have to see if there are equivalent api in OSM,

orux

LaurentG

Great !

Let me suggest to check https://switch2osm.org">https://switch2osm.org

It seems they provide tools and method to switch from Google to OSM