OruxSoS

Started by orux, September 12, 2022, 08:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orux

Given the problems of using the sending of SMS from OruxMaps, I have created an independent app to manage this functionality, OruxSoS. It can work alone or be activated from OruxMaps.

Its cost will be €1, but from 17 Sept 2022 – 24 Sept 2022 it will be free for 8 days (the time that Google Play allows this type of promotion).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orux.oruxsos

orux

lneam

by the end of this year the new smartphones, android or iOS, will support satellite sms for SOS. Yes, this will be a subscription function, but it's the only guaranty action to save the humans life. Into the mountains, the opportunity for valid GSM signals is very rare.

Yes, there is also the (garmin) expensive Iridium Satellite Communications

orux

Quote from: lneam on September 13, 2022, 07:59:44 AM
by the end of this year the new smartphones, android or iOS, will support satellite sms for SOS. Yes, this will be a subscription function, but it's the only guaranty action to save the humans life. Into the mountains, the opportunity for valid GSM signals is very rare.

Yes, there is also the (garmin) expensive Iridium Satellite Communications

I agree that sending SMS by satellite is an option, in certain circumstances much better than by GSM, for example where there is no GSM coverage :) But it will not offer a 100% guarantee either. I also don't know if it will work well if the phone is in a pocket, or in a backpack, or under trees,...
We know that Android 12 is on less than 20% of phones, when it was released over a year ago. When will satellite SOS connectivity on Android become widespread?
For many outdoor activities that are carried out alone, there is GSM coverage. Even in the mountains (in Spain at least), it is usual to have GSM coverage.

orux

Haldo

Quote from: orux on September 12, 2022, 08:44:13 PM
Given the problems of using the sending of SMS from OruxMaps, I have created an independent app to manage this functionality, OruxSoS. It can work alone or be activated from OruxMaps.

Its cost will be €1, but from tomorrow it will be free for 8 days (the time that Google Play allows this type of promotion).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orux.oruxsos

orux

it's not for the euro.... I will give it anyway... but it is not in promotion now....

lneam

GSM SOS is the past and satellite SOS if the feature. Into 1-2 years the new technology will be more accurate and cheap.

i have a question. Into the first post says about 8 days of free install, but it is not

orux

Hello!
Sorry, there was a problem with the sale, it seems that it was not activated correctly.
The sale date is now set from September 17, 2022 to September 24, 2022.
I hope it works fine now!

orux