How can I set the right timezone?

Started by miguelcurto, July 23, 2016, 01:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miguelcurto

Since we've switched to Summer Time my recorded tracks are always recorded as beginning one hour earlier, at least when I import them to Strava.

I've tried to set in Settings-> Units "Use UTC time" and set offset to "1" but it doesn't make any difference.

Is there something I'm missing?

Ty in advance.

alijain120117

Set your time zone in automatic mode.

dvo

I wonder why this bug report did not receive any response (by Orux or anyone else). The problem is still present.

Trackpoint time stamps by the GPS are off by one hour during daylight saving time (summer time): the times provided are one hour less than the real time. For instance, now it is 14:00 CEST, which corresponds to 12:00 GMT/UTC. When I start recording a track now, the starting time given in the meta data is correct (12:00), but the times recorded in the actual track start as 2018-04-07T11:00:00Z. Maybe this is a bug already in the Android GPS data provider because the same silly things happens also with the GPS Status app. It only happens when daylight saving time is active (for instance, it does not happen in winter and in time zones that do not use a DST). This bug occurs with the current version 7.2.11 of OruxMaps, but also with earlier ones (including 7.1.6).

If this is due a bug of Android, I suggest the following workaround: Compare the first timestamp that is about to be saved with the (correct) starting time obtained from the system and stored in the header. If the former is about one hour before the correct time, add one hour to each time stamp recorded.

orux

Quote from: dvo post_id=13203 time=1523189044 user_id=7441
I wonder why this bug report did not receive any response (by Orux or anyone else). The problem is still present.

Trackpoint time stamps by the GPS are off by one hour during daylight saving time (summer time): the times provided are one hour less than the real time. For instance, now it is 14:00 CEST, which corresponds to 12:00 GMT/UTC. When I start recording a track now, the starting time given in the meta data is correct (12:00), but the times recorded in the actual track start as 2018-04-07T11:00:00Z. Maybe this is a bug already in the Android GPS data provider because the same silly things happens also with the GPS Status app. It only happens when daylight saving time is active (for instance, it does not happen in winter and in time zones that do not use a DST). This bug occurs with the current version 7.2.11 of OruxMaps, but also with earlier ones (including 7.1.6).

If this is due a bug of Android, I suggest the following workaround: Compare the first timestamp that is about to be saved with the (correct) starting time obtained from the system and stored in the header. If the former is about one hour before the correct time, add one hour to each time stamp recorded.

Hello!

The only correct time on your device is the GPS timestamp. It is a UTC time, in milliseconds, which is the value that android gives to the apps. If this time is wrong, the world will stop working ;)

The app can not assume if you have the wrong time zone, the local time is bad, or you voluntarily want to see a different time.

If Android is doing something wrong, or the device, is something that must be solved by the device/SO provider, it is not conceivable that something like this is happening on any device.

orux

dvo

Of course I've checked that the time of my phone has been (automatically) set correctly, including time zone and DST activation.

Of course one can assume that the GPS timestamps as received by the phone are correct,

but the result when exporting tracks with your app are wrong. It looks like summer time correction often is applied twice, and sometimes not at all!

For instance, today I started recording a track in Prague at 10:20 local time, which is CEST. The timestamp of the first recorded trackpoint, when exported as GPS or KML, is 2018-05-24T07:20:17Z - one hour behind!!

The start time given in the GPX file is 2018-05-24T08:20:13Z, which is correct, while the start time in the KML file is 05/24/2018 09:20, which is one hour off in the other direction, so one hour ahead!

In the CSV export, things are even much more weird. For the start time I get 896080817, which apparently is May 29, 2008 07:20:03 UTC (10 years!!! and 1 hour behind), and similarly for all other times in the file.

There is definitely more that one bug in the way your app exports/reports times when DST is active. Just note the inconsistencies I've reported above - they cannot be explained by an error setting up my phone or by an Android bug.

dvo

For all those suffering from the reported bugs, here is a workaround that leads to correct time values in exported GPX/KML/KMZ/CSV files (except that for CSV the time stamps are still 10 years off):

Disable automatic time zone on your phone and select a time zone that does not have a Daylight Saving Time (DST) at all but that results in the right offset from GMT, including the +1:00 DST offset.

For instance, CEST (Central European Summer Time = UTC+1:00+1:00) can be simulated by Cairo time (which is Eastern Europe Standard Time = GMT+2:00).