simplified user interface

Started by Olkol, July 26, 2017, 11:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olkol

Hi Orux,

I am using Oruxmaps for a long time and I really like it for outdoor activities.

I often found that new users are unable to cope with the amount of options and menu settings. It really could help if there were simple mode switches (easy, normal, expert) to hide a lot of the menus. As soon as they get used to it, they could switch from easy to normal.

With the help of an "expert" to prepare the initial installation including map installation, they could use it with the reduced functionality.

Maki

It has been attempted for the preferences but Orux went back to the original since it caused confusion more than else. IMHO user interface complexity isn't really a problem, as users quickly learn to skip what they don't need and focus on the rest.

However what I'm noticing is that the app is getting much bigger and slower as times goes by, mostly to add niche features (GeoPDF or SHP support, for example). Maybe having a plug-in architecture with a main app that has the 20% core features that everyone needs and the rest moved to external modules could lead to a leaner and simpler app while keeping all the power we have now. But I'm afraid it would require a major app rewrite...