Precision of elevation gain

Started by stormtroopa, August 21, 2018, 11:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormtroopa

Elevation gain is always a difficult measurement. Even specialized watches like Garmin have a hard time doing a proper measurement.

With gps it is even more difficult. I see that the results measured with orux on my huawai are about 30% too much.

I wonder if this can be improved if DEM info can be used for elevation gain measurement!?

Accuracy could improved even more if the track on the map is used as a reference (aligned with the recorded track), so left right movement is eliminated...

Anyone else having accuracy issues?

orux

Quote from: stormtroopa post_id=14091 time=1534887864 user_id=6692
Elevation gain is always a difficult measurement. Even specialized watches like Garmin have a hard time doing a proper measurement.

With gps it is even more difficult. I see that the results measured with orux on my huawai are about 30% too much.

I wonder if this can be improved if DEM info can be used for elevation gain measurement!?

Accuracy could improved even more if the track on the map is used as a reference (aligned with the recorded track), so left right movement is eliminated...

Anyone else having accuracy issues?

Hello!

You can correct the track altitude, go to the track properties-->correct altitude.

You can test with different filters. Using good DEM files is the best option, combined with a smoothing with different radius can give you a very accuracy solution,

orux