[SOLVED] Is the compass bug back again

Started by 6745th@web.de, August 15, 2020, 03:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6745th@web.de

when mobile is flat on ground compass is buggy.
when I hold my mobile vertical, it is OK.

other apps are OK

"gps status" app works also when phone is flat on ground.

Attachment in a second post

6745th@web.de

compare GPS status overlay with orux.

the phone direction is west, orux shows SE.

6745th@web.de

when direction is east, it is OK.

when I hold my phone vertical, its also OK.

orux

Quote from: 6745th@web.de on August 15, 2020, 03:23:48 PM
when direction is east, it is OK.

when I hold my phone vertical, its also OK.

OruxMaps rotation axis is mapped to vertical, by default, but you can change that setting under sensors settings. North-South orientation is defined by an axis that runs through the phone from front to back. The orientation of that arrow is what the compass provides. When you put the phone horizontally, that axis points towards the center of the earth, with a very slight modification of the angle, it will point slightly at any point N-S. Conversely, if you define that the axis of the phone goes from bottom to top on the screen (horizontal position) when you put the phone vertically, it points to the sky.

The orientation can be remapped depending on the inclination of the phone, so that what you say happens, for 'normal' users. But the other values ​​of inclination, tilt, ... the artificial horizon, cease to make sense if the initial axis is not maintained. For some users it is important to keep the reference.

If you put GPS Status or GPS Test in the vertical position, you should see the North changing with small angle changes, similar like OruxMaps when in horizontal, because those apps have the default orientation of the phone set to horizontal, right?

Do not think that I have not thought about this topic ...

orux

6745th@web.de

hi orux,
thank you for the detailed answer.

now I unchecked "main device position" and when using mobile flat compass seem to be correct now. i never saw that setting.
great!

1st I though Samsung used a cheaper sensor in my new mobile A7. they also removed the barometric sensor compared to my old A5...

GPSTest is opposite,  correct when flat.

I know that stuff is complicate Mathematics...
3*3 axis (gyro, acceleration and magnetics)

today I used your beta app several hours while biking, no problems  :)

orux

Quote from: 6745th@web.de on August 16, 2020, 11:13:21 PM
hi orux,
thank you for the detailed answer.

now I unchecked "main device position" and when using mobile flat compass seem to be correct now. i never saw that setting.
great!

1st I though Samsung used a cheaper sensor in my new mobile A7. they also removed the barometric sensor compared to my old A5...

GPSTest is opposite,  correct when flat.

I know that stuff is complicate Mathematics...
3*3 axis (gyro, acceleration and magnetics)

today I used your beta app several hours while biking, no problems  :)
Hello!
I have struggled my mind, to separate the horizon (pitch & roll) from the orientation (N-S)...
Please, try the last beta.

orux

6745th@web.de

perfect with beta7

now I change the orientation from flat to vertical without changing any setting and the compass is always correct.

I have tried what happen when I change the setting: no difference.

thanks