New beta version 8.5.x [CLOSED]

Started by orux, October 21, 2021, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orux

Hello!
PLEASE! READ CAREFULLY NEXT INFORMATION BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW BETA, BECAUSE IT INCLUDES THE NEW RESTRICTIONS TO THE DEVICE INTERNAL STORAGE.

The new beta can be used in the following ways:

a) If you have a previous beta installed (you do an update). Then two options will be possible:

a.1) do not migrate at all the data to the private storage of the app. Everything continues as before. But at the time of uninstalling and reinstalling, you will be in option b).

a.2) migrate the data. It is a difficult process, but it must work. The current app data (maps, tracks databases,...) is copied in the private folder of the app (it can be in the SD if an SD is used in addition to the internal storage). IMPORTANT: The old data (folders and files) in the internal storage/SD are NOT erased, to continue using them with other versions. If the user wants, he could delete them. Obviously the app no longer shares data with other versions of the app. The Tracks database is its own. Tracks recorded in the beta version will not be seen in the list of Tracks in the GP version, for example.

b) If you do not have a previous beta installed, the app will use the private storage, yes or yes, by obligation (Android no longer allows apps to access the root of the internal storage, where previous versions of the app usually store all the app information). In this case the app offers two tools in global configuration -> app storage to move/import files from/to the app:

• -> Import resources: With this tool you can tell the app resources (by type, map, tracks, ...) that can be copied to the app private folders.
  • -> Open Android File Manager: With this tool the app opens the Android file browser, inside the private folders of the app, to allow you to copy files from the private folders of the app to another directory of your device. For example, if you are going to uninstall the app, in this way you can copy things before Android deletes all the app folders (remember that Android deletes all the app files in private folders when you uninstall an app !!).
It is stupid, but that file browser does not allow to copy entire folders! Here you can find file browsers that can do that work friendly (Working at this moment, I don't know if in a future they will be able to do that, if they compile the app with last SDK; I recommend 'Explorer' app): https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/j3zgmm/managing_files_in_the_androiddata_folder_on/

POR FAVOR, LEER DETENIDAMENTE EL SIGUIENTE AVISO, LA NUEVA BETA INCLUYE LAS RESTRICCIONES DE ACCESO AL ALMACENAMIENTO INTERNO A QUE OBLIGA ANDROID.

La beta se puede usar de los siguientes modos:

a) si tienes instalada una beta previa (haces una actualización). Entonces se abren dos opciones:

a.1) no migrar los datos al almacenamiento privado de la app. Todo sigue como antes. En el momento de desinstalar y volver a instalar, se estará en la opción b).

a.2) migrar los datos. Es un proceso difícil, pero debe funcionar. Los datos actuales se copian en la carpeta privada de la app (puede ser en la SD si además del almacenamiento interno se usa una SD). Los datos (carpetas y ficheros) antiguos en el almacenamiento interno/SD NO se borran, para seguir usándolos con otras versiones. Si el usuario quiere podría borrarlos. Evidentemente la app ya no comparte datos con otras versiones de la app. La base de datos de Tracks es propia. Los Tracks grabados en la versión beta no se verán en el listado de Tracks de la versión GP, por ejemplo.

b) si no se tiene instalada una beta previa, la app utilizará sí o sí, por obligación, el almacenamiento privado (Android no deja ya a las apps acceder a la raíz del almacenamiento interno). En este caso la app ofrece dos herramientas en configuración global-->almacenamiento app para mover/importar ficheros de/hacia la app:

• -> Importar recursos: Con esta herramienta puede indicar los recursos de la aplicación (por tipo, mapa, pistas, ...) que se pueden copiar a las carpetas privadas de la aplicación.
  • -> Abrir Administrador de archivos de Android: Con esta herramienta, la aplicación abre el navegador de archivos de Android, dentro de las carpetas privadas de la aplicación, para permitirte copiar archivos de las carpetas privadas de la aplicación a otro directorio de tu dispositivo. Por ejemplo, si vas a desinstalar la aplicación, de esta forma puedes copiar cosas antes de que Android borre todas las carpetas de la aplicación (recuerda que Android borra todos los archivos de la aplicación en carpetas privadas cuando desinstalas una aplicación).
Es estúpido, ¡pero ese explorador de archivos no permite copiar carpetas enteras! Aquí puede encontrar navegadores de archivos que pueden hacer ese trabajo de manera amigable (recomiendo Explorer): https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/j3zgmm/managing_files_in_the_androiddata_folder_on/

RC3:
-->some bugs corrected

RC2:
-->some bugs corrected

RC1:
-->removed old libraries.
-->no more changes till the next release.

beta31:full support to RTL languages
changes in map calibration tool
added new information to statistics, distance ascending/descending.

beta28:-->last experiment!
Added more values to the Track statistics: Distance ascending/descending.
Georeference an image (png, jpg, pdf or tif supported). Map tools-->Image to Map.
First you have to load the image, then you have to add calibration points (four at least, recomended more). You have to select a point in the image, then that point in the map, and so on.
Then, when you select OK button, a new offline map will be created.
With that map, you can load it as a normal offline map, or as a map overlay over another map (Map overlays-->Map as overlay, the map is reprojected based on the base map).

beta26:
-->some bugs corrected
-->support to kml/kmz groundoverlay tags, loaded as map overlays, some examples:
https://oruxmaps.org/etna.kml (37.69 N, 15.03 E)
https://oruxmaps.org/mt_rainier.kmz (46.95 N, 121.97 W)
tap the ground overlay to change transparency.

beta25:
-->slight modifications in getfeaureinfo queries in WMS: added button for this function, which allows querying any of the WMS that you have. To use the WMS query with the 'long press' you now have to select the WMS you want to use in configuration-->maps-->select WMS for query.

beta23:
--last minute bug solved

beta22:
--mapsforge maps library update to 0.17 version
--calculate a route in Brouter starting from an own route. In the properties of your Tracks, a new button, 'Match in brouter' will search for a matching route in brouter. Waypoints will be added with turn information, and surface type data,...
--added the option to query the GetFeatureInfo option of a WMS, with two options:
a) long press on the map-->what's here.
b) when creating Waypoints, new option at the end, to add that information in the Waypoint description.
To select a WMS that is consulted when creating a Waypoint or with the long press option: side panel, maps-->Select GetFeatureInfo WMS. Or in the top action bar-->maps-->map settings-->Select GetFeatureInfo WMS

Examples of useful WMS (in Spain, the cadastre or the altitude WMS): https://www.idee.es/segun-tipo-de-servicio

beta21:
--added a new feature: Group waypoints if they overlap. It works with waypoints that belong to overlays or the loaded routes. You can disable that option (on by default) in waypoints menus, or in the settings-->user interface-->tracks/routes/lines...

beta20:
--some bugs corrected

beta18:
--added more tools to track segments list.
--changes in how the app paints the routes when it has many segments (in paint slope mode).
--some bugs corrected (maybe new ones were added...)

beta16:
--changes with proj4j libraries. Check if all is right about coordinates, grids,...
--added range selection in waypoints/tracks lists.
--added massive track modification.

beta15:
--->added support for files in geojson format (tracks, polygons,...)
--->new storage options (test these options carefully. Mass data movements are complex):
--added a secondary directory for maps. In this way you can have maps in the internal storage and in an external SD simultaneously.
--if you are using private storage (Android scoped storage) you can change the SD/internal storage directories independently for each resources files (DEM files, photos,...).
--added option to export all app files when using Android scoped storage to a folder on the phone's shared storage. This way everything can be recovered if the app is uninstalled/installed again from that directory.

beta14:
--solved some bugs,

beta12:
--added no-go points to brouter search engine,
--solved some bugs,

beta11:
--solved some bugs,

beta10:
--edit the properties (name, description, color, fill, ...) of each segment of a Track (new button in the properties display of a Track recorded with the app, or imported to the tracks database).

--new wizards.

--routes searched with brouter, added the option to include data of road type, surface, etc. Once you have searched for a route with brouter, click on the track, then statistics button.

--new sensor, network status. Now you can save the state of the network (if there is telephone coverage) when saving a Track, very interesting during mountain tours, or in areas with low coverage. To always save it by default, configuration - tracks -> add network status. Or when starting the recording of a Track, sensors -> start network status.

--new menus when pressing a Track. You can individually select how to display the Track:
-> slopes
-> default color
-> type of surface (only routes searched with brouter)
-> network coverage (only if the data for that sensor has been saved).

beta9:
-->changed somne icons
-->added (long press the map) an option to search images in WikiMedia databases.

beta8:
-->added icons to mapsforge searchs (some categories)
-->solved some bugs with photo waypoints.

beta7:
-->load geotagged pictures as a overlay, with thumbnails. Map overlay
-->load kmz/kml/shp overlay. Now you can select pictures. If they have georeference information, then will be shown in the map with a thumbnail.
-->import geotagged pictures to your waypoints list.
-->support to dinamic kml files.
-->Strava integration, added a new button in the Strava activities to see starred segments.
-->maps in night mode with colour (map settings-->colorized night maps.

beta6:
->bugs corrections

beta5:-->Geotiff maps improvements.-->bugs corrections

beta4:
-->added an option about Android 11 SAF. global settings-->app storage-->Restore an old installation: to copy a full OruxMaps old installation from the internal storage to the private to the app storage.
-->added coloured night mode: map settings-->colorized night maps.
-->support to garmin extension (base camp routes) in gpx files.
-->new text to speech fields (altitude up/down).

beta1:
-->Android 30 SDK storage limitations.
-->Use patterns with Waypoint names. You can use some patterns to customize the waypoint names (global settings-->Waypoints-->Waypoint name patterns).-
-->Support to a different barometer-termometer device: https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=40161.msg52314

The beta version:

orux

orux

When the beta app is installed as an update, first you will see:

Although you see 'migrate' as unique option, in next screen is when you can select skip that migration:

orux

YvanCB

Hello,
I have installed the new beta (OruxMaps8.5.5beta1) over an old beta (OruxMaps8.5.3beta8).
I choose to migrate.
It seems to work but impossible to see the folder trough the Android Explorer (SCard\Android\data\com.orux.oruxmapsbeta\files).
I have installed Explorer version 3.10.3. I'm not sure to know how to use it. Some body can help me?

Regards.

YvanCB

Hello,

I tried "X-plore File Manager", it seems to work.
The link to Google Playstore:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore&hl=en_US&gl=US

Regards.

PS: In fact this software is very powerful!
I can view and manage my files in the famous folder:

Android\data\com.orux.oruxmapsbeta\files

Regards.

YvanCB

Hello,
With this version (OruxMaps8.5.5beta1) when I want to launch Gpstest by clicking the button on the left side bar Playstore pop-up :

Gpstest is already installed.
This "bug" was not present in the previous version.
This problem occurs even if Gpstest is running.
Am I alone to have this problem?
Regards.

ThomasSc

The beta1 on Pixel 4a, Android 12, close if check "GPS on".
Now the beta1 cancel after a few seconds.
Reinstall don't work. The beta1 close.
Deinstall and install works till check "GPS on".

Regards
Thomas

YvanCB

Hello,
I have slow rendering with OpenAndroMaps. 10 seconds at least after I choose the theme.
Result is the same with "Elevate" and "Elements". It's faster with "Default Mapsforge Theme" (2 seconds).
I tried it several months ago. I don't remember that it was so long...
Any idea?
Regards

LaurentG

Don't you have the option "Apply hill shadows" selected ?
It could explain slow rendering...

YvanCB

Hello,
If you are talking about options in "Global settings/Maps" and "Global settings/Maps/Mapforge settings" the answer is no, the option is turned off.
When I turn it on it's longer.

Thanks for your answer LaurentG!
I have still the problem 😕

Anybody can tell me if the rendering is as fast as usual with this new beta version 8.5.5beta1 of OM?

Regards.

LaurentG

I was talking about the first one (in "Global settings/Maps"), for which I have even set a button on screen.
On the other hand, I never use the second (specific to Mapsforge) that doesn't work very well and has some bugs, at least in rev 7.4.24

Unable to give you an answer about beta version, since I do not have installed it.

YvanCB

I have installed the new beta version 8.5.5 beta1 of OM on another Smartphone (Armor X8 Ulefone - less powerfull than my Samsung A71).
I don't have the low rendering issue with OpenAndroMaps.
Ulefone Armor X8 runs on Android 10 ==> all files are stored in SD_Card\Oruxmaps\Mapfiles
Samsung A71 runs on Android 11 ==> all files are stored in SD_Card\Android\data\com.orux.oruxmapsbeta\files\oruxmaps\mapfiles
Perhaps the problem comes from this difference?

Any idea?

orux

Quote from: YvanCB on November 05, 2021, 08:32:25 AM
I have installed the new beta version 8.5.5 beta1 of OM on another Smartphone (Armor X8 Ulefone - less powerfull than my Samsung A71).
I don't have the low rendering issue with OpenAndroMaps.
Ulefone Armor X8 runs on Android 10 ==> all files are stored in SD_Card\Oruxmaps\Mapfiles
Samsung A71 runs on Android 11 ==> all files are stored in SD_Card\Android\data\com.orux.oruxmapsbeta\files\oruxmaps\mapfiles
Perhaps the problem comes from this difference?

Any idea?

Check that you don't have selected hillshadows.
The speed of access to the SD is also important, the maps require many reading operations, the SD is not the same as the internal memory, neither is one SD the same as another, or the data interface that each phone has with the memory/SD.

orux

YvanCB

@orux:
No Hill-shadows option turned On.

You are right. When I work with files on the internal memory the speed increase. Good thing!
Perhaps I have to buy a more performant microSD card?...
For now I have a Sandisk Ultra128 GB with reading speed at 120 MB/sec. And it's true, when I have copied the folder "Mapstyles" (very lot of files inside) it was very long...
I'm talking about these files:

@all:
What kind of micro SD card do you use?

Regards.

lneam

don't waste your time or spend your money searching for microsd cards having more speed. This is not real.

if you visit "notebookcheck.com" web pages, you can found very detail reviews for smartphones devices. if we collect those reviews for a long time, we can see that low prices models have 20-40MB speeds and flagships has 60-80MB for the microsd cards. Why that ? because internal hardware specs has limit up at UHS-I (this has theoretically 100MB/s, practical less)

for the internal memory (flash or ROM - names) the low budget devices start from 200MB and the high price flagship models has up to 1800MB Read and 800MB Write

YvanCB

@Ineman:
Thanks for your answer. It seems very pertinent.
Regards.