New beta versions 9.4.xx [CLOSED]

Started by orux, August 23, 2022, 07:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carth4

Hello, thank you very much for the quick responses.

I noticed that with the newer tracks the personal notes are preserved. To check it again, I copied the whole "tracklogs" folder from S9 smartphone to PC again and then transferred it to S5 tablet. All notes disappeared again with my previous longtime inventory. Individual transfers do not bring a different result either. The absence of own notes can be narrowed down to about after 29.06.2022. Around this date many tracks happened to be recorded.
The records are also a nice diary for me.  Just also the notes with the help of the search function. It would be nice if you find a solution for the old stock.
Enclosed again two screenshots.

As a long time fan of Oruxmaps thank you for your excellent work.

Best regards

Sigi

carth4

Hello,

sorry there was a mistake in my text:

The absence of own notes can be narrowed down to about "till" 29.06.2022.

Best regards
Sigi

orux

Quote from: Andrea65 on September 02, 2022, 01:26:29 PM
Hello Orux, I am sorry, I followed your instruction but nothing happened.
I am still having this "horrible" picture (see attachment) instead of the effective recorded trace thumbnail.

Please, kindly tell me how to change the interface language, so that I will retry again the process.
Just for your info, in my Italian interface the "thumbanil update button" is labeled as "Ricarica le miniature della traccia".
Do you confirm is this it?

Thanks and regards,
Andrea

With some online maps (including OpenStreetMaps) sometimes the server sends black tiles instead of the real ones, instead of returning an error message. The app does not know that they are erroneous tiles, and stores them in the cache.

Go to Maps-->refresh tiles and delete the map tiles you are using to generate the thumbnails from the cache.

Then try to generate the thumbnails again.

orux

Andrea65

Quote from: orux on September 03, 2022, 09:19:58 AM
With some online maps (including OpenStreetMaps) sometimes the server sends black tiles instead of the real ones, instead of returning an error message. The app does not know that they are erroneous tiles, and stores them in the cache.

Go to Maps-->refresh tiles and delete the map tiles you are using to generate the thumbnails from the cache.

Then try to generate the thumbnails again.

orux

Hello Orux, thanks for your further support, but even this time, no way to have that recorded trace with a good thumbnail.

By the way, in the pure spirit of cooperation and honest feedback, I have to report to you the following:
1) Since my first use of your app (2 years ago or so), I never understood why a so complex menu and why 2 or 3 entries for the same topic (like traces, waypoints and maps).
2) Why traces, waypoints and maps have i) a page entry with their name, ii) another page entry with their icon, and iii) another page entry with the Gear-icon? I find all this confusing and if you do not use the app daily, you get lost every time.
3) Still today, I do not have understood how to set the "language" option for the full interface: I am still have some part in Italian, others in English and "probably" I also jumped over some line in Spanish (no problem, I can read Spanish as well). Is there the option to set the language? Where?

In my opinion, you should consider to redesign the menu and the tons of configuration options following more a human centric approach (simpler menu, fewer options....)

Thanks and regards, Andrea

tstreibl

Hello Orux,

found some small improvement options for Beta 4 and the Play Store Edition (both show same behaviour):
-  when you toggle the route alarm the route alarm symbol is not updated
-  there's a great option to load multiple routes into the map or to create multiple routes with the routing tool. Each route has a start and an end waypoint which you can touch to see a menue about the route. When I choose "follow route" in this menue the app doesn't follow the activated route. It always follows the route which was created first. You can test this by creating a short and a long route. In the height diagram you see the length of the route you follow. If you remove the first route and choose "follow route" the app still follows the deleted route! It would be great if we could select which route is the "active route". Maybe you even could make this choice visible somehow (e.g. use a grey color for inaktive routes)? The advantage:  you could plan different route options, load them all together in the map and choose duing your ride where to go.
- if you create a route with the routing tool and save it into the database it would be nice if the app would ask for a name. You could use the same procedures/settings which are active when you save a "normal" track recording.

Best regards, Tilo

orux

Quote from: Andrea65 on September 03, 2022, 10:02:20 AM
Hello Orux, thanks for your further support, but even this time, no way to have that recorded trace with a good thumbnail.

By the way, in the pure spirit of cooperation and honest feedback, I have to report to you the following:
1) Since my first use of your app (2 years ago or so), I never understood why a so complex menu and why 2 or 3 entries for the same topic (like traces, waypoints and maps).
2) Why traces, waypoints and maps have i) a page entry with their name, ii) another page entry with their icon, and iii) another page entry with the Gear-icon? I find all this confusing and if you do not use the app daily, you get lost every time.
3) Still today, I do not have understood how to set the "language" option for the full interface: I am still have some part in Italian, others in English and "probably" I also jumped over some line in Spanish (no problem, I can read Spanish as well). Is there the option to set the language? Where?

In my opinion, you should consider to redesign the menu and the tons of configuration options following more a human centric approach (simpler menu, fewer options....)

Thanks and regards, Andrea

Hello!

1) & 2) Some menu entries has (maps entry, for example):a) name-> if you click it, you open the submenu entries. All the names
b) an icon->for accessing the map list.c) a direct access to the settings of the maps.
Each one has its own function.
3) Global settings-->application-->force language. Here you can select a different that your phone default language. With Android 13 you can select a different language for each app in Android settings.
When a word or phrase is not translated, the app shows the phrase in the app's default language, which is English. It is rare that you have seen phrases in Spanish, it should not show Spanish if you have Italian selected. It should show either Italian or, failing that, English. The Italian translation has quite a few untranslated parts, there will be quite a lot in English.
It is difficult to offer all the functionalities by reducing the menus. The app is used in many ways. But you have two options, I don't know if you have tried them:

Global settings-->lite version. It reduces the menus and options to the basic ones, usually for those who want the app to record routes or follow them, and little else.
Global Settings-->Unified Interface. With all the options in the side menu, with a brief explanation of what they are for.

Yes, many times I have considered offering a separate basic version, with the minimum functions.
About the problem with the thumbnails. I don't know what you can do anymore, does it happen with all versions (beta and GP)?

orux

orux

Quote from: tstreibl on September 03, 2022, 12:13:59 PM
Hello Orux,

found some small improvement options for Beta 4 and the Play Store Edition (both show same behaviour):
-  when you toggle the route alarm the route alarm symbol is not updated
Hello!

--the alarm icon is visible if there is one of the two possible alarms (far from route or near waypoints alarm).
Quote-  there's a great option to load multiple routes into the map or to create multiple routes with the routing tool. Each route has a start and an end waypoint which you can touch to see a menue about the route. When I choose "follow route" in this menue the app doesn't follow the activated route. It always follows the route which was created first. You can test this by creating a short and a long route. In the height diagram you see the length of the route you follow. If you remove the first route and choose "follow route" the app still follows the deleted route! It would be great if we could select which route is the "active route". Maybe you even could make this choice visible somehow (e.g. use a grey color for inaktive routes)? The advantage:  you could plan different route options, load them all together in the map and choose duing your ride where to go.
I can not reproduce that problem. I think it is working fine. Maybe you can record a video and sent it to me.
In the last versions you can tap the path of the loades routes, and change the color, and let only the route you are following with slopes colors.

Quote- if you create a route with the routing tool and save it into the database it would be nice if the app would ask for a name. You could use the same procedures/settings which are active when you save a "normal" track recording.

Best regards, Tilo
It may be a good idea, I study it.

orux

tstreibl

Hi Orux,

In deed I thought that the alarm icon would indicate if "route alarm" is on or off. Thanks for explaining.

I tried to reproduce the road selection, but I couldn't figure out which test condition triggered the reported "problem". In my new attempt everything worked well. I'll report again with a video if I can describe the test case properly.

Best regards, Tilo   

YvanCB

Hello,
When I move a track from a folder to another the track is moved but stays also to in the source folder.
I have to refresh the screen by changing the active folder or by going out then coming back to first folder.
Before this version this bug wasn't present.
Orux, is it possible fo you to have a look at this?
Regards.

YvanCB

Quote from: YvanCB on August 30, 2022, 04:48:40 PM
Hello,
My Huawei P40 pro + uses EMUI 12.
Impossible to know what version of Android is under that EMUI version.
I tried dontkillmyapp.com but they don't talk about my EMUI version.

I have a last thing to test. The performance mode on battery management..

🤞🤞🤞

Regards.

Hello, Still same bug with the "Performance Mode" . Oruxmaps loose the GPS signal ==> creation of a straight line between the moment the signal is loose and the the moment it comes back.
The strange thing is that if I launch another software which use GPS, Oruxmaps works fine again.

How Oruxmaps verify if the GPS signal is OK during a recording? During a record, is there a way to force Oruxmaps to ask if the GPS signal is present?
I'm really annoyed by this bug!

regards.

orux

Quote from: YvanCB on September 11, 2022, 06:22:54 PM
Hello, Still same bug with the "Performance Mode" . Oruxmaps loose the GPS signal ==> creation of a straight line between the moment the signal is loose and the the moment it comes back.
The strange thing is that if I launch another software which use GPS, Oruxmaps works fine again.

How Oruxmaps verify if the GPS signal is OK during a recording? During a record, is there a way to force Oruxmaps to ask if the GPS signal is present?
I'm really annoyed by this bug!

regards.
Android's power management system (Doce) is very peculiar. If Doce comes into play, it freezes the apps, so they can't react, as their processes are suddenly stopped.

For example, OruxMaps monitors the time between each two positioning, to activate the alarm of 'too much time without GPS positioning'. But this doesn't work when Doce has frozen the app!!!! If the app is stopped, it can't react, because there isn't any app process running.

It is normal for OruxMaps to work again when you activate another app, because Android takes all the apps out of the freezer, because it can no longer save energy if the CPU and/or screen are forced to be active because you are using another app.

The important thing is that you have well configured energy management, and OruxMaps can skip the use of Doce.

The experience with Doce since it was implemented with Android 8 has been very unfortunate, for various reasons, especially because the manufacturers have implemented their own systems, unrelated to Doce, with complex configuration, including some that the user cannot decide so that it does not act .

The only Android standard is that apps can know if they're optimized or not related to power management. But this setting may not be enough. An app can be set to NOT optimized and put in the freezer, because the phone is smarter than the user...
These problems gave rise to dontkillmyapp.com and similar sites.
The important issues:
--Do not use power saving modes
--Include OruxMaps in the list of NOT optimized apps, or other similar ones related to protected apps, that can work in the background,...
--Test in OruxMaps in sensors--GPS-->location provider merged (deactivated).

Other links:
https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/article-list/article-detail/en-gb15769601/

https://nine-faq.9folders.com/articles/37422-stop-your-huawei-smartphone-from-closing-apps-when-you-lock-the-screen

orux

YvanCB

Whaoo! What a long answer! Tank you very much for the spent time for me. :D

The problem is that I have already done all these things, several times. I even made a factory reset on my P40 Pro. :'(
The "Fused Location Provider" is greyed and turned off. No more possibilities about this:

I think the game is over for me and my P40 Pro. No more ideas?

Regards and thanks a lot!

jherb

I am using 9.4.0beta 4.

In the graph in the track statistics the legend is shown in the language of the Android system (German in my case). So it says "Geschwindigkeit (km/h)" eventhough I have set the language in the options of OruxMaps to English and restarted the app. Everything else seems to be shown in English.

Lenz

Hello Orux,
in 'viewshed - paint non visible areas' I have strange patterns (nearly symmetric)  in the north east, south east, south west and north west whereas in the original vieshed mode with painted visible areas no patterns appear (screenshots).
I use Sonny's LIDAR dem-files.

Regards
Lenz

YvanCB

Hello,
Same thing for me.
Regards.