New beta version 9.x.x

Started by orux, November 24, 2022, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orux

Today we start a new series of betas.

1.-A major change. Added permission to access all files. In this way, it is not necessary to install any old apk so that the app can access the internal storage. The app asks when installing it (from scratch) if access to this permission is allowed.

Let's hope that Google Play does not put obstacles.

[CLOSED, STARTED NEW THREAD WITH THE FOLLOWING VERSION]

orux

Lenz

Hello Orux,
thank you for having been in super busy mode - it was definitely worthwhile.

Here the results of my first quick tests:

1 a)  VTM viewer with vector maps
I really like the VTM viewer with vector maps: zooming and scrolling is very fast and smooth (even on my quite old phone) – a great improvement.

Disadvantages / problems:

• the colours are very pale when hill shading is on (tested with Elevate and Tiramisu theme) (screenshot)
  • the texts and symbols are quite small and the scaling options (scale factor, mapsforge text size, symbols scale factor) don't work (but maybe these are the limitations you were writing about)
  • cliffs are not rendered correctly (screenshot)
  • as VTM viewer can rotate labels, imho a compass symbol which shows the rotation of the map would be useful, otherwise it is possible to confuse the cardinal points. Tapping on the symbol should rotate the map back to the orientation given in the preferences (e.g. north = up). (suggestion in screenshot)

1 b) VTM viewer with raster maps
also quite good, but sometimes Oruxmaps crashes when changing the map

2) Google Earth
works perfectly
If you don't have Earth installed, a wrong error message comes up: 'Error sending mail'

3) Tools for OpenStreetMaps editors
I'm still on MIUI 11 (Android 7) so I can't test it :'(

4) average positioning
works perfectly
In the next weeks I will test if (and dhow much) positioning is more accurate (with a Altus NR3).

Regards
Lenz

Tronpo

Quote from: Lenz on November 25, 2022, 09:44:29 AM
Hello Orux,
thank you for having been in super busy mode - it was definitely worthwhile.

Here the results of my first quick tests:

1 a)  VTM viewer with vector maps
I really like the VTM viewer with vector maps: zooming and scrolling is very fast and smooth (even on my quite old phone) – a great improvement.

• the colours are very pale when hill shading is on (tested with Elevate and Tiramisu theme) (screenshot)
  • the texts and symbols are quite small and the scaling options (scale factor, mapsforge text size, symbols scale factor) don't work (but maybe these are the limitations you were writing about)
  • as VTM viewer can rotate labels, imho a compass symbol which shows the rotation of the map would be useful, otherwise it is possible to confuse the cardinal points. Tapping on the symbol should rotate the map back to the orientation given in the preferences (e.g. north = up). (suggestion in screenshot)

2) Google Earth
works perfectly
If you don't have Earth installed, a wrong error message comes up: 'Error sending mail'

3) Tools for OpenStreetMaps editors
I'm still on MIUI 11 (Android 7) so I can't test it :'(

4) average positioning
works perfectly
In the next weeks I will test if (and dhow much) positioning is more accurate (with a Altus NR3).

Regards
Lenz

Your observations are perfect.Seeing that you liked the vtm.I share some renderstheme for this type of viewer, they are for mapsforge, simple themes without adjustments but very attractive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c5HRkRJXk9Ec1Aa6fzvXkWL52bQmRa8g/view?usp=drivesdk

On the subject of including a compass in this viewer, I would add that when you press the compass the map will be oriented to the north as it happens in the Mapbox 3D Viewer.

🅃🅁🄾🄽🄿🄾

Tronpo

Quote from: Tronpo on November 26, 2022, 10:47:19 AM
Your observations are perfect.Seeing that you liked the vtm.I share some renderstheme for this type of viewer, they are for mapsforge, simple themes without adjustments but very attractive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c5HRkRJXk9Ec1Aa6fzvXkWL52bQmRa8g/view?usp=drivesdk

On the subject of including a compass in this viewer, I would add that when you press the compass the map will be oriented to the north as it happens in the Mapbox 3D Viewer.

🅃🅁🄾🄽🄿🄾

I did not realize that you had also proposed the orientation when pressing the icon👍

orux

Yes, but I can not apply the same procedure than with the old viewer. I can not multiply both layers, only overlay the shadows with a different transparency level. I will try in next version with more transparency level.

Try with beta2 version, you can apply a factor scale to mapsforge maps.

Strange, it is a problem inside the library...

Try with beta2.

Hard to debug, I will check,

orux

Lenz

Hello Orux,

scale factor, compass
simply perfect

VTM + raster maps
The crashes (after freezing for up to half a minute) do not occur on every change of a map or always with a specific map. Maybe it is a phone related error.

pale colours
It's really a pity that the saturation and contrast of the old viewer is not reproducable by simple means. With the transparency level in beta 2, hill shading is nearly invisible in bright light.

@Tronpo
Thank you for your themes. I've been using (and modifying for my purposes) Elevate for years and I don't want to do without.

asturcon_53

Muy buenas
Oruxmaps 9.7 Beta 2
Cuando activo el visor VTM no puedo poner los mapas en 3D y me sale el siguiente comentario:
Lo sentimos. No disponible en el mapa actual
Lo he probado con mapa raster del IGN y con OAM y sale el mismo comentario.
Saludos cordiales

ut

1) I also, the same problem as previous posted by asturcon_53 :(
Oruxmaps 9.7 Beta 2 with settings-->maps-->mapsforge maps-->VTM viewe + b) settings-->maps-->-->use VTM viewer
I cannot see 3D maps OAM:  "sorry, not avaible with current loaded map"
If upper setting disabled I can see 3D mapas, as I can see on the same phone vith GP version on android 10

2) From the map viewer, if I click on the path of a Track/route I see no new button to see it on Earth, but only a box with segment information...

I'm afraid to mistake something..  :-[

Tronpo

Quote from: ut on November 27, 2022, 05:11:26 PM
1) I also, the same problem as previous posted by asturcon_53 :(
Oruxmaps 9.7 Beta 2 with settings-->maps-->mapsforge maps-->VTM viewe + b) settings-->maps-->-->use VTM viewer
I cannot see 3D maps OAM:  "sorry, not avaible with current loaded map"
If upper setting disabled I can see 3D mapas, as I can see on the same phone vith GP version on android 10

2) From the map viewer, if I click on the path of a Track/route I see no new button to see it on Earth, but only a box with segment information...

I'm afraid to mistake something..  :-[

clicking the route brings up the segment options bubble.press and the segment menu appears to the right of the upper line you have the icon from Google Earth.You must have the G Earth app installed for it to work.
🅃🅁🄾🄽🄿🄾

ut

Quote from: Tronpo on November 28, 2022, 07:48:21 AM
clicking the route brings up the segment options bubble.press and the segment menu appears to the right of the upper line you have the icon from Google Earth.You must have the G Earth app installed for it to work.
🅃🅁🄾🄽🄿🄾

thank you very much Tronpo, now I can see tracks on Earth! Wonderfull 8)
:-[ I still don't understand how to use VTM viewer .... Maybe because I use OpenAndroMaps and I need others maps?

Lenz

QuoteI still don't understand how to use VTM viewer .... Maybe because I use OpenAndroMaps and I need others maps?

You can either activate the VTM Viewer for vector maps like OpenAndroMaps only (global settings - maps - mapsforge settings - vtm map viewer) or all kinds of maps (global settings - maps - vtm map viewer).

Lenz

ut

Quote from: Lenz on November 28, 2022, 01:08:08 PM
You can either activate the VTM Viewer for vector maps like OpenAndroMaps only (global settings - maps - mapsforge settings - vtm map viewer) or all kinds of maps (global settings - maps - vtm map viewer).

Lenz
Thanks Lenz, I understood my mistake: using OAM only I have to use only: global settings - maps - mapsforge settings - vtm map viewer!

Now it works perfectly, but the cursor is  the in the center and not shifted in botton as by my settings,  apparently ignored by VTM viewer.. :o

asturcon_53

Hola
Según lo expuesto por Trompo entiendo que para poder usar el nuevo visor VTM hay que tener instalado Google Eart lo que conlleva gastar recursos en el móvil.
Haber si JV nos hecha una mano y podemos usar el nuevo visor sin tener que depender de aplicaciones extras.
Saludos

ut

Hello, a small doubt: I found the new menu item: maps - legend, but it says not available for my map...
What file does this item expect to read and where should it be placed?

I use OAM with elevated theme and it would be convenient for me to open the .pdf associated with its symbols..

Tronpo

Quote from: asturcon_53 on November 29, 2022, 08:22:43 AM
Hola
Según lo expuesto por Trompo entiendo que para poder usar el nuevo visor VTM hay que tener instalado Google Eart lo que conlleva gastar recursos en el móvil.
Haber si JV nos hecha una mano y podemos usar el nuevo visor sin tener que depender de aplicaciones extras.
Saludos

Noooo, nothing is needed for the vtm.Earth app is required to use the Earth button.

🅃🅁🄾🄽🄿🄾