Straight lines. GPS stops recording. [Líneas rectas. El GPS deja de grabar]

Started by orux, August 07, 2017, 07:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi

Hi there,

I just want to add, that I did not have this issue so far with Orux 7.0.17. The last few days I recorded several tracks from 3 to 5,5 hours on different devices. While recording, the longest constant time the device was stored in backpack (screen off, device locked) was about 4 hours on Android 6 and about 5,5 hours on Android 7.

Only did a short test with the latest Orux 7.1.2 on Android 6 though. Recorded 1,5 hours without problems.

I saw a similar behavior on Sony's stock Android with Stamina Mode (= advanced power saving feature) active. But here, Stamina Mode is causing this as it disables all GPS when screen is off, whether or not the app is set for battery optimization.

Tested with:

- Orux 7.0.17

- Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Stock Android 6.0.1

- Sony Xperia SP, LineageOS Android 7.1.2

You are doing an excellent job with this app! I really appreciate your hard work.

PabloPaulo

Perhaps this will help someone who can try it and see if it works for them. I love OruxMaps and have supported it with donations. I don't use it often but rely on it when I do. I tend to update whenever one is offered. So I'm on 7.1.2 donate right now.

I started using a Google Pixel two weeks ago. I updated to Oreo (Android 8.0.0) when it became available a couple days ago. Then I needed OruxMaps for a hike yesterday. I found it was not recording my entire track but putting in straight segments in between my looking at the screen by waking up the phone, etc. while OM was running. So I came here looking for answers and see others have this problem even in earlier versions of Android.

I have tried changing settings in Oreo to allow OM to access the GPS (location permission is ON). I've got it set "app can run in the background when not in use". I have NOT turned on or run "battery optimized" OM, which I think means it can use the battery as it wants to. None of this makes a difference. Nor did turning on the app, GPS Status, which I thought might keep the GPS on (there's a setting "Use GPS when screen is off"...makes no difference.)

What DID seem to make OruxMaps work to continuously record a track when I tested today, was having an app called Avenza Maps also running a track at the same time. Avenza Maps is an app (free, with purchase options) for using PDF maps which I am required to use for an organization I work with. I prefer OruxMaps of course (and am trying to figure out how to use PDF maps with it, but haven't got that done yet).

I repeatedly turned on tracking in Avenza Maps, then turned it off. When it was off, OruxMaps did not record all of my movement (driving down a road). When Avenza Maps tracking was turned on, OruxMaps would then record my track continuously, even if my screen was turned off, if I launched other apps over it, and so on. I only tested this for about 30 minutes and now I need to try it for a longer time. Perhaps tomorrow. I did notice my battery is draining more quickly.

Anyway, this is what I am seeing on my device. I hope a better solution will become available later.

orux

Quote from: "PabloPaulo"Perhaps this will help someone who can try it and see if it works for them. I love OruxMaps and have supported it with donations. I don't use it often but rely on it when I do. I tend to update whenever one is offered. So I'm on 7.1.2 donate right now.

I started using a Google Pixel two weeks ago. I updated to Oreo (Android 8.0.0) when it became available a couple days ago. Then I needed OruxMaps for a hike yesterday. I found it was not recording my entire track but putting in straight segments in between my looking at the screen by waking up the phone, etc. while OM was running. So I came here looking for answers and see others have this problem even in earlier versions of Android.

I have tried changing settings in Oreo to allow OM to access the GPS (location permission is ON). I've got it set "app can run in the background when not in use". I have NOT turned on or run "battery optimized" OM, which I think means it can use the battery as it wants to. None of this makes a difference. Nor did turning on the app, GPS Status, which I thought might keep the GPS on (there's a setting "Use GPS when screen is off"...makes no difference.)

What DID seem to make OruxMaps work to continuously record a track when I tested today, was having an app called Avenza Maps also running a track at the same time. Avenza Maps is an app (free, with purchase options) for using PDF maps which I am required to use for an organization I work with. I prefer OruxMaps of course (and am trying to figure out how to use PDF maps with it, but haven't got that done yet).

I repeatedly turned on tracking in Avenza Maps, then turned it off. When it was off, OruxMaps did not record all of my movement (driving down a road). When Avenza Maps tracking was turned on, OruxMaps would then record my track continuously, even if my screen was turned off, if I launched other apps over it, and so on. I only tested this for about 30 minutes and now I need to try it for a longer time. Perhaps tomorrow. I did notice my battery is draining more quickly.

Anyway, this is what I am seeing on my device. I hope a better solution will become available later.

Hello, an update to 7.1.4 on the air.

If you don't receive that update, may be you can test the free version downloadable from oruxmaps.com

You can put geopdf maps in maps folder, the refresh the map list, and you should be able to use them.

orux

PabloPaulo

Quote from: "orux"
Quote from: "PabloPaulo"
Hello, an update to 7.1.4 on the air.

If you don't receive that update, may be you can test the free version downloadable from oruxmaps.com

You can put geopdf maps in maps folder, the refresh the map list, and you should be able to use them.

orux

This morning, I installed the update 7.1.4 via Google Play on my Pixel phone running Oreo 8.0.0.

Tested for about 2 hours. TRACKING WORKS again! At least it does for me. A track is being recorded even when the app is in the background, with other apps running or not, or when the screen is dark, etc. I will keep testing and update here if I see any changes. (See my earlier post for other settings in Android which may be necessary for OM to work properly.)

For others' information, note I had to reboot my phone before the OruxMaps update took effect.

I have also tried the PDF maps in the map folder, that works excellent! And I like the transparent menu bar also.

Thank you for your continued development of OruxMaps, I'm leaving a donation shortly!

olwaldi

Hello!

Sadly I have a similar problem - some part of my hike isn't tracked at all, or I get straight lines.

My phone is new Huawei Mate 9 using Nougat 7.0 (update to Oreo is under development). I use the current version 7.1.6 installed directly from the apk on your homepage.

I have seen different problems (but I have to admit with maybe different settings w.r.t. power saving):

- logging stops after about 1h of logging, straight line closing towards the end of my hike. No button press or app start when the track has been stopped. (But I have shot some photos with the native photo app wtihout any disturbance to tracking.)

- in the middle of a short hike - 30min or so - I see one straight line in the midle of my track.

- very mysteriously: yesterday I have started logging, then without fix I switched my phone off. Then there were two signals from oruxmaps signalling successful setup of barometer. BUT my track started one hour later, and it ended in a short straight line after another hour.

Power saving options tried so far

- don't optimize on OruxMaps

- don't kill background processes, but warn about them

- no power saving mode

Any further suggestions?

Should I asked my phone vendor for support?

Regards, Michael

olwaldi

Hello!

Sadly I have a similar problem with track logging. [This is my second post - maybe I pressed the wrong button.]

My phone is a Huawei Mate 9 running Nougat 7.0. I use the current version 7.1.6 of OruxMaps downloaded from this homepage.

My problems show different symptoms (maybe with different power saving settings, I have tested some different settings):

1. logging stops after about 1h, the final line segment towards my goal is a straight line, phone was in my pocket when the logging stopped unexpectedly. During (working) logging I took some photos using the native camera app.

2. During a short 1h hike somewheer in between the track has been shortened by a straight line about 30mins after start.

3. Yesterday I even lost half of the beginning from my 12km hike. I started logging without a fix, switched my phone off, then I got two signals from OruxMaps reporting barometer setup. But logging started 1h later, and ended finally in a straight line for the last 1km.

I tried different power settings

- disable power optimization for OruxMaps,

. don't kill power consuming background processes (but warn on them),

- no special power saving mode engaged.

Do you have any further suggestion howto improve logging?

Or should I ask my vendor for supprt?

Regards, Michael

olwaldi

Now I have tried exactly the settings given in my previous post, and GPS logging seems to work now. Today I have installed oruxmaps 7.2.0 for a short walk (1h 30min), and again GPS logging worked fine.

Thus maybe my problem is solved by carefully setting all energy saving settings within my Huawei mate 9 cellular.

Regards, Michael

orux

Quote from: olwaldi post_id=12553 time=1511799078 user_id=7027
Now I have tried exactly the settings given in my previous post, and GPS logging seems to work now. Today I have installed oruxmaps 7.2.0 for a short walk (1h 30min), and again GPS logging worked fine.

Thus maybe my problem is solved by carefully setting all energy saving settings within my Huawei mate 9 cellular.

Regards, Michael

Hello;

7.2.0 includes some 'tricks' to avoid specific huawei power management control. I hope they are working,

orux

gerdsuper

Hi Orux,

Absolut fantastic!!

finally, i can confirm that your latest version of Oruxmaps (7.2.0) does work as good on my huawei P9 plus as all the years before on all my other phones before!

I completely lost hope in the last months because i thought that this problem can't be solved from your side.

Also all the other tracking software i used on this phone had the same problem. And Huawei never answered to my question.

Again: great, great, great!

I made a donation few minutes ago.

Is it possible for you to explain in short words how you solved this problem?

THX a lot,

Henning

pln

Hello Orux,

First of all, many thanks for your great work!

I have used Oruxmaps for many years, still a pleasure.

I'm trying to get Oruxmaps logging working with Samsung power saving mode activated (in order to log very long tracks, and keep my battery high).

But as soon as I switch off the screen, the GPS recording seems to stop, and I'm facing a straight line to my current position when I switch back on the screen.

My device: Samsung Galaxy S6

- I already disabled power optimization for OruxMaps in Android settings

- I tried the different Oruxmaps GPS mode Fast/Defaut/Power saving: no change...

- I'm using an offline map.

Any idea or settings I can try to adjust?

chris64

Hi everybody,

I am the owner of honor 6X - android 7.0 - EMUI 5.0.1  --  oruxmaps - v.7.2.0

The recording of the track stops as soon as the screen switches off, I think all required authorizations are ok but a list of what is needed would be welcome for checking.

When screen is on again  a new point is recorded and a straight line between the two last points appears. Of course all stats are wrong (distance, speed,...).

I installed rustastic to check whether the recording is ok and no problem. I got perfect traces during hours.

I am very disappointed because to me oruxmaps is really a great app.

If somebobody could help it would be really nice.

Thanks

orux

Quote from: chris64 post_id=12926 time=1519384613 user_id=7319
Hi everybody,

I am the owner of honor 6X - android 7.0 - EMUI 5.0.1  --  oruxmaps - v.7.2.0

The recording of the track stops as soon as the screen switches off, I think all required authorizations are ok but a list of what is needed would be welcome for checking.

When screen is on again  a new point is recorded and a straight line between the two last points appears. Of course all stats are wrong (distance, speed,...).

I installed rustastic to check whether the recording is ok and no problem. I got perfect traces during hours.

I am very disappointed because to me oruxmaps is really a great app.

If somebobody could help it would be really nice.

Thanks

Hello,

Could you test the last beta version, published here in the forum?

It is a different app, with different app icon. It shares the folders with the donate/free versions,

orux

chris64

Thanks for your fast reply Orux,

I have installed v.7.2.7 but unfortunately same result.

Is it the one you mentioned or do you think of another app?

Cheers

chris64

I have seen that there is a test version (OruxMaps7.1.0rc7.apk) on the forum.

Probably it is the one I should test.

Unfortunately the link leads to error 404 page not found.

cheers

orux

Quote from: chris64 post_id=12938 time=1519568794 user_id=7319
I have seen that there is a test version (OruxMaps7.1.0rc7.apk) on the forum.

Probably it is the one I should test.

Unfortunately the link leads to error 404 page not found.

cheers

Hello,

the test versions are here:

http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4743">http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4743

orux