OruxMaps AM app on Windows 11 PC does not work well

Started by GeorgeF, November 21, 2023, 01:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeF

Good morning, I installed OruxMaps AM on my Windows 11 PC, but I can't find the folders where I can insert the map styles and import my tracks. I can't find the folder:
SubsystemForAndroid \ Android \ data \ com.orux.oruxmapsAmazon \ files \ tracklogs

I tried to insert some files in this position but it doesn't work:
C:\Users\Utente\AppData\Local\Packages\MicrosoftCorporationII.WindowsSubsystemForAndroid_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

I have many tracks on my smartphone, I would like to bring them to the OruxMaps AM app on Windows 11 PC.
Also I would like to be able to see the ski slopes colored using this Map style: Elevate_Winter:
https://www.senotto.de/Tipps_Tricks/GPS/OAM_Winter/OAM_Winter.html
but on my Windows 11 PC I can't find the folder where to insert the file.
Thank you
George

Lenz

Hello George,
first you have to set a shared folder in the WSA settings: Advanced Settings - Experimental Features - Share user folders
Now you have a folder called 'Windows ' in the Android (WSA) file browser. Via this folder you can share files between Windows and Android (WSA).

In Oruxmaps you can set the permission to access all folders (Global settings - App storage). Now you can move your data to a public folder (Global settings - App storage). In the file browser you can copy your data to the new oruxmaps folder (/storage/emulated/0/oruxmaps/).

You can also copy apk-files from your phone to into the shared folder and thus install apps which are not available in Amazon Store.

GeorgeF

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I had to uninstall OruxMaps AM because it filled my cache with duplicate maps, I had LocalCache with a metadata.2.vhdx file that occupied 6,228,992 KB, even after uninstalling OruxMaps AM but I had only loaded the Alps-West map from 1,771,759 KB.
I had also tried to create that folder /storage/emulated/0/oruxmaps/ and instead it kept duplicating and tripling the Alps-West file inside the metadata.2.vhdx file which got bigger and bigger, so I thought about deleting that too metadata.2.vhdx file.
Then I installed Garmin Base Camp which does a similar job.
Tomorrow I'll try to reinstall OruxMaps AM.
Thanks again
George

Lenz

Hello George,

you don't have to create the /storage/emulated/0/oruxmaps/-folder manually. Use global settings - app storage - move data to public folders in Oruxmaps and the content of the private folder will be copied to /storage/emulated/0/oruxmaps/. Oruxmaps copies your maps, themes, db etc. but does not move them (at least in my case). So I deleted the content of the private folder /Android/data/com.orux.oruxmapsbeta (I have the GP version on my smartphone and the beta on my Windows pc).

I must admit, I have never taken a look at the size of the vhdx-file - but I will tonight.

Martin

ut

Hi Lenz,
you say "...the beta on my Windows pc": do you use an Android emulator for Windows? Please which one?
I have never been able to make Oruxbeta work on my win 10 :'(
Thanks.

Lenz

Hello ut,
on Windows 10 you have to use an emulator (e.g Bluestacks), which doesn't work too good for me. You can also use a virtual machine with Android in Virtual Box. This works quite well but is not so easy to set up.

On Windows 11 you can install WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android) and either install apps from the Amazon store (no Google Playstore available) or APK-files you copy to WSA. A lot of apps run quite smooth and starting them is as easy as starting a Windows program.

Martin

GeorgeF

Help: I can't reinstall OruxMaps AM.
From the window :
You already own this application.
Compatibility with your devices
  my name's Windows Device
Download the app on Windows 11
A new window appears with the request for a new payment: EUR 3.50 from Amazon Appstore

Lenz

I'm sorry but I do not use AM. On my Windows pc I use the beta from this forum.
You can also try the beta with your data in the public storage. When you succeed in reinstalling the AM version, you can use it with the same folder as the beta. At least the beta and the GP version can use the same folder on my smartphone.

Haldo

I use Oruxmaps on my win 11 pc .... everything's fine... I had to work a little with the folders but with Lenz's posts I succeeded..

the only thing I cannot do is using the profile I already have on my preferences folder...

any hint?

if not I'll do it all over again

Lenz

Hi Haldo,
you have to copy the the profile file om2_name.xml into the folder /oruxmaps/preferences/4.2/ and then refresh the profiles list in Oruxmaps (top right: circle with two arrows) as the new profiles aren't recognized on startup.

Martin

GeorgeF

Thanks again Lenz, these instructions will also be useful to me when I reinstall OruxMaps AM, I'm waiting for a response on the it.amazonforum.com forum, I prefer to install the official version, I'm in no hurry.
https://it.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D56Q0000CWyvGFSQZ/app-oruxmaps-am-sul-pc-windows-11-non-funziona-bene
Thank you
George

Haldo

Quote from: Lenz on November 27, 2023, 11:53:21 AM
Hi Haldo,
you have to copy the the profile file om2_name.xml into the folder /oruxmaps/preferences/4.2/ and then refresh the profiles list in Oruxmaps (top right: circle with two arrows) as the new profiles aren't recognized on startup.

Martin

Thank You Martin

GeorgeF

Nothing, today I tried again to repurchase this OruxMaps AM app. I didn't succeed.

I started from scratch, also reinstalled Amazon Appstore, I started again from this app on Windows 11:

Start – all apps - Amazon Appstore:

I clicked "Check & Pay", one click purchase, it didn't even ask me to type in the new password,

after a few minutes I received this e-mail:

Dear George

Due to a problem with the payment method you indicated, we are unable to charge the order (#D01-89....065) to your account.

We may attempt to reprocess your order payment in a few days.

To check and/or update information regarding your payment method, visit the following page:

http://www.amazon.it/gp/digital/your-account/... ...

which I had already done a few days ago, it's a continuous loop with no exit. I have to give up.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

George