Is there an automated way to deploy betas?

Started by febs, June 30, 2014, 02:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

febs

I recently joined a Google+ community for an app I use quite often, "you are your own gym" - that's the second app I use the most after oruxmaps.

I applied to join a beta test group and like that I just receive updates of the beta from the play store.

Anything similar would come handy I think.

Maki

I used the Google Play beta for a few apps, and I'm very mild about it. The biggest problem is that you either use the beta or the stable, with the current system we can have both OM versions. And you can also keep the old APKs in case you want to go back to check something.

But I agree that the current system it's a bit of a pain, especially if one keeps the "unknown sources" disabled. Maybe publishing the beta in the Play store as a regular app could work. Cruiser just does that.

febs

Yeah, a separate app "OruxMaps BETA" with a clear description - like, "use this to test new features under development, not for daily use" could work.

I would use it with a separate path then, like /ext/sdcard/oruxmapsbeta , so to keep both environments totally separate and not to pollute each other. Actually this would be necessary in any case, eh, also by deploying the apk from the website for manual installation.

jonny-blue

Cachesense is using "HockeyApp" for it's beta ... that's working great.  8-)