First fix

Started by goosiebn, March 01, 2014, 11:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goosiebn

Though primarily an issue with my device /Android, I find that if the first fix doesn't happen in about 10 seconds then it won't ever - the GPS icon stays flashing.

All I usually have to do is stop the Track record and start again and it will get an instant fix.

After first fix of I lose Gps indoors then come back out it does get Gps again ok.

I thought Orux used to do this, but if it doesn't get first fix for a minute can it stop for a moment and start again? Or is it not stopping for long enough for the gps to give up, before starting again?

goosiebn

Similar issue with new phone. A couple of times now, during a ride it lost gps and never regained it at all. Now when the lost gps alarm goes for no good reason, I.e. good outdoor coverage, I have to stop, then restart track recording. It would be good to have an option where if first fix isn't acheived, or gps is lost during recording, the gps could turn off, then start again.

orux

Quote from: "goosiebn"Similar issue with new phone. A couple of times now, during a ride it lost gps and never regained it at all. Now when the lost gps alarm goes for no good reason, I.e. good outdoor coverage, I have to stop, then restart track recording. It would be good to have an option where if first fix isn't acheived, or gps is lost during recording, the gps could turn off, then start again.

Hi,

strange,

but do you receive (of course if you have this alarm activated) the 'lost gps signal' alarm?

orux

goosiebn

Quote from: "orux"but do you receive (of course if you have this alarm activated) the 'lost gps signal' alarm?

I can't remember what prompted me to do so, some problem I've had before, I have the gps lost alarm on (having had it turned off due to it being annoying to everyone else when mucking about with recording while shopping).

Yes, I did get the GPS lost alarm.  About an half an hour into the ride.  The first time I ignored it, presuming it would sort itself out, being in open country, but then it sounded a second time, so I stopped the recording, then started it again and it just worked straight away.

Stopping and restarting the recording is no easy task on the bike, phone in a case - not always able to turn screen on using buttons, so have to rely on Oruxmaps waking the screen up, holding glove in teeth, one hand still steering and braking if necessary... :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/200015146">//http://www.strava.com/activities/200015146

First two alarms were between 14.6km - 15.8km.

Second alarm was between 33.5km - 35.2km.

I use Oruxmaps twice daily during the week for 50 mins+ at a time with no issues usually.  I also have an app turn mobile data off when I get a GPS fix so I have no apps trying to do stuff and the mobile isn't looking for data signals un-necessarily, all good for battery and reliability.

orux

Quote from: "goosiebn"
Quote from: "orux"but do you receive (of course if you have this alarm activated) the 'lost gps signal' alarm?

I can't remember what prompted me to do so, some problem I've had before, I have the gps lost alarm on (having had it turned off due to it being annoying to everyone else when mucking about with recording while shopping).

Yes, I did get the GPS lost alarm.  About an half an hour into the ride.  The first time I ignored it, presuming it would sort itself out, being in open country, but then it sounded a second time, so I stopped the recording, then started it again and it just worked straight away.

Stopping and restarting the recording is no easy task on the bike, phone in a case - not always able to turn screen on using buttons, so have to rely on Oruxmaps waking the screen up, holding glove in teeth, one hand still steering and braking if necessary... :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/200015146">//http://www.strava.com/activities/200015146

I use Oruxmaps twice daily during the week for 50 mins+ at a time with no issues usually.  I also have an app turn mobile data off when I get a GPS fix so I have no apps trying to do stuff and the mobile isn't looking for data signals un-necessarily, all good for battery and reliability.

Hi,

If the data have been deactivated, in certain cases it is possible that the GPS will take more time to obtain the first position fix, if it can not use A-GPS capabilities.

If android needs to kill the OruxMaps process, it may turn off the GPS. When it reboots the process after a few or many seconds, it may take longer to get the GPS signal.

orux

goosiebn

Quote from: "orux"

Hi,

If the data have been deactivated, in certain cases it is possible that the GPS will take more time to obtain the first position fix, if it can not use A-GPS capabilities.

If android needs to kill the OruxMaps process, it may turn off the GPS. When it reboots the process after a few or many seconds, it may take longer to get the GPS signal.

orux

I almost agreed with you there. Except in both cases all I had to do was stop then start the recording and it got an immediate fix. This behaviour is what I'm basing the feature request upon.

goosiebn

Also, most of the places anyone would travel using Oruxmaps wouldn't have a data signal irrespective of whether data was enabled or not. I don't disagree that no data would hinder a first fix, but that's just not what I'm seeing on these very rare occasions when I have to stop and restart the recording.

goosiebn

Quote from: "orux"

Hi,

orux

Not sure Oruxmaps getting killed by Android is the problem. I've been task killing Orux today and I always got a first fix tone when it resumed. Therefore if Oruxmaps was getting killed by Android I would certainly have known of it happening before.

orux

Hi,

What is your setting in 'GPS-minimum time between measurements'?

If different of zero seconds, try with this value. The GPS is not turned off during track recording.

orux

goosiebn

Ok. It's currently set to 4 secs, but I usually use the fast GPS profile tweak. It's not a common problem. I know Strava users have similar issues- track didn't record, or only recorded part of the track. All very infrequent and annoying at the time, but not often enough top stop using any particular app. I just thought a retry GPS option might be handy to ensure such issues are quickly dealt with. As it happens, because Orux has lost gps warnings it is already much more reliable than Strava, but it still means handling the phone to sort the issue.

mett

Which smart phone do you use?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

goosiebn

Quote from: "mett"Which smart phone do you use?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Originally a Moto Defy+ 2.3.6, now a Moto E 4.4.4.

goosiebn

I can't say if this is typical or not, but it lost gps just as I was reaching home recently and this is whas GPS Status had to say:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/21/ff5ce7005a562d1ae21b7a200395e1fc.jpg">