The application starts very slowly

Started by jcs, February 08, 2015, 05:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcs

I refer to my last post in "comments" chapter.  I think it's more correct if it be here.

Quote from: "orux"The 'skip check option' was removed because for some time the application makes a quick check to see if there are new maps in the maps folder. This check is very slow if the app finds new maps, because it has to recreate a internal database with the metadata of the maps.

It may be that there is some wrong map (a file with .map extension that is not a map, rmap not supported, ...) which makes each time the application is started, it has to do the slow check. If the wrong map is not removed, the start is always slow.

Hello,

I have not solved my problem. I did not find anything wrong in my maps.

Version 4.8 starts instantly. 6.0.2 takes about 10 minutes with 280 offline maps. 2 minutes with 30 maps.

With option  "Skip map check" ckecked ot not the result is the same with version 4.8: if I turn off the smartphone, then turn back and launches  4.8 and still with 280 cards, the start is always immediate. Message "Generating data maps" appears but disappears immediately.

If I understand correctly, OM at the beginning of a session checks if there are no new cards in the map folder. This is my case. All my cards were built by OruxmapsDesktop so I assume that they are all correct.

So this control should be very fast. It is very very slow with version 6.0.2. As there is no new maps, internal data base should not be rebuilt. Am I wrong?

Also I note another curious behavior with version 6.0.2. If I choose a map from the list ("Switch map"), it is often but not always another one of the same folder that appears, but sometimes also an online map. With "Switch map here" or with "Map index" the selection is correct.

These observations are valid with 2 different devices with 2 different Android.

Thank you to consider the different behavior of the two releases.

gerdami

I also find that the application starts slowly since version 6, about 30-45 sec.

Moreover, when I switch to another application, for example a simple SMS, then switch back to OruxMaps, the program starts loading again. Hopefully, the GPX tracking is not impacted.

OruxMaps v.6.0.7 Donate

Sony Xperia Go ST27i

Android 4.1.2

orux

Quote from: "jcs"I refer to my last post in "comments" chapter.  I think it's more correct if it be here.

Quote from: "orux"The 'skip check option' was removed because for some time the application makes a quick check to see if there are new maps in the maps folder. This check is very slow if the app finds new maps, because it has to recreate a internal database with the metadata of the maps.

It may be that there is some wrong map (a file with .map extension that is not a map, rmap not supported, ...) which makes each time the application is started, it has to do the slow check. If the wrong map is not removed, the start is always slow.

Hello,

I have not solved my problem. I did not find anything wrong in my maps.

Version 4.8 starts instantly. 6.0.2 takes about 10 minutes with 280 offline maps. 2 minutes with 30 maps.

With option  "Skip map check" ckecked ot not the result is the same with version 4.8: if I turn off the smartphone, then turn back and launches  4.8 and still with 280 cards, the start is always immediate. Message "Generating data maps" appears but disappears immediately.

If I understand correctly, OM at the beginning of a session checks if there are no new cards in the map folder. This is my case. All my cards were built by OruxmapsDesktop so I assume that they are all correct.

So this control should be very fast. It is very very slow with version 6.0.2. As there is no new maps, internal data base should not be rebuilt. Am I wrong?

Also I note another curious behavior with version 6.0.2. If I choose a map from the list ("Switch map"), it is often but not always another one of the same folder that appears, but sometimes also an online map. With "Switch map here" or with "Map index" the selection is correct.

These observations are valid with 2 different devices with 2 different Android.

Thank you to consider the different behavior of the two releases.

Hi,

Are all your maps in its own directory? (you don't have selected a generic directory, like the sdcard root, in Settings--Maps--maps directory).

May be I have to return to the old way (a setting to skip the new chack system).

orux

gerdami

QuoteAre all your maps in its own directory? (you don't have selected a generic directory, like the sdcard root, in Settings--Maps--maps directory).

Maps directory: /mnt/ext_card/orxumpas/mapfiles/

DEM files directory: /mnt/ext_card/oruxmaps/dem/

I just deleted the online cache. Switched to OneFootball. Then switched back to OruxMaps. Loading........ 30 sec.

orux

Quote from: "gerdami"
QuoteAre all your maps in its own directory? (you don't have selected a generic directory, like the sdcard root, in Settings--Maps--maps directory).

Maps directory: /mnt/ext_card/orxumpas/mapfiles/

DEM files directory: /mnt/ext_card/oruxmaps/dem/

I just deleted the online cache. Switched to OneFootball. Then switched back to OruxMaps. Loading........ 30 sec.

But this is another problem; your device is killing OruxMaps when you go to another app; when you return to OruxMaps, the app must start again.

Check if you have any of those terrible apps that kills other apps, background services,... or you have changed some settings in android 'developers' options.

orux

jcs

Quote from: "orux"...Are all your maps in its own directory? (you don't have selected a generic directory, like the sdcard root, in Settings--Maps--maps directory).

May be I have to return to the old way (a setting to skip the new chack system).

Hi,

Thank you Orux to consider this problem.

I did my tests with the two solutions. Maps either on the Oruxmaps folder on the memory of the smartphone or on a new folder on the additional sdcard. The behavior is the same.

I think to return to the old option to check and rebuild or not the maps database would be a good solution.

orux

Quote from: "jcs"
Quote from: "orux"...Are all your maps in its own directory? (you don't have selected a generic directory, like the sdcard root, in Settings--Maps--maps directory).

Hi,

Thank you Orux to consider this problem.

I did my tests with the two solutions. Maps either on the Oruxmaps folder on the memory of the smartphone or on a new folder on the additional sdcard. The behavior is the same.

I think to return to the old option to check and rebuild or not the maps database would be a good solution.

Thanks;

I will try to add this option again, for people who use a lot of maps in the maps folder.

orux

jcs

Quote from: "orux"I will try to add this option again, for people who use a lot of maps in the maps folder.

orux

Thank you Orux,

That is  good news.

Using Oruxmaps on a boat requires often numerous small and big charts.