Track database location

Started by goosiebn, January 23, 2015, 11:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goosiebn

When I change the Tracks/Routes folder location, newly exported tracks are created there, but it still accesses the database from the original location.

The database and the backups are eating up internal memory and I have to remove months worth of track records to keep the size down.

G

goosiebn

Current size is 25MB, but with the two backups, it totals 75MB.

That's after culling all of last year's commuting tracks, bringing it down from 50MB x 3 150MB.

I can only feasibly keep special trips and planned routes as it is at the moment.

starbright

I can confirm this bug. Although I set the path to external SD card, the internal storage is used for tracklog.

BTW: In general this pathes are used, because of too less internal Flash.

It will be a good idea to have just one selection for all the pathes (maps, dem, tracklocks ...). Imho you either have all internally or on your sd-card. Just a switch (use sd-card) would be a good solution.

orux

Quote from: "starbright"I can confirm this bug. Although I set the path to external SD card, the internal storage is used for tracklog.

BTW: In general this pathes are used, because of too less internal Flash.

It will be a good idea to have just one selection for all the pathes (maps, dem, tracklocks ...). Imho you either have all internally or on your sd-card. Just a switch (use sd-card) would be a good solution.

Hi,

Yes, the database files are always in the internal storage, because the external storage was historically prone to fails. It can lead to problems if it is a removable device.

Those databases shouldn't be very large files.

But i future versions I will allow that all files will be stored in the external storage.

orux

matycakes

Man, it would be great if there were some kind of warning on the settings page that if you set your path to the external sd card it won't actually save there. Silly me, I thought my files were saved to the location I specified in the program. In the process of trying out a new ROM I wiped my internal sd and lost my tracks.

vittorio.milani

I have the same problem.

Folder track location on SD-Card, but new-tracks are generated in Phone memory location almost full.

Then I exported them in .gpx format and tracks are located on SD-card/trackslog/ -directory.

Is it possible to save tracks directly on Sd-Card as Off-line maps?

Thank you

orux

Quote from: "vittorio.milani"I have the same problem.

Folder track location on SD-Card, but new-tracks are generated in Phone memory location almost full.

Then I exported them in .gpx format and tracks are located on SD-card/trackslog/ -directory.

Is it possible to save tracks directly on Sd-Card as Off-line maps?

Thank you

Hi,

the tracks database (the file oruxmapstracks.db) must be in the internal memory. This file should not be too large. In the future we will allow the users to move this file also. But while android not stabilize its policy about access to files on the sdcard (there has been a big change in version 4.4, which prevents applications write to the sdcard, except in a specific folder) I think it's better that this file is always accessible to the app.

the gpx can be created in the directory you choose in settings - tracks - tracks folder.

orux

goosiebn

Ok, here's a suggestion- have it available to relocate the backup databases to a custom location?