Zoom level inconsistency raster/vector - why?

Started by Hauke, November 10, 2019, 07:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauke

Hi all,

if I look at a raster map at zoom level e.g. 14, it shows the same area as compared to a mapsforge map at zoom level 12. Is there a reason for this? And can I change it to have both zoom levels to be the same in detail?

This is - I admit - kind of a re-post of https://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29142">this forum question - but only in the sense that this zoom inconsistency seems to be the root cause for my originally posted problem.

Thanks for any insights!

Hauke

orux

Quote from: Hauke post_id=39329 time=1573409180 user_id=6708
Hi all,

if I look at a raster map at zoom level e.g. 14, it shows the same area as compared to a mapsforge map at zoom level 12. Is there a reason for this? And can I change it to have both zoom levels to be the same in detail?

This is - I admit - kind of a re-post of https://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29142">this forum question - but only in the sense that this zoom inconsistency seems to be the root cause for my originally posted problem.

Thanks for any insights!

Hauke

The zoom number is not an indicator of the map scale. It is an internal indicator, which depends on each map, its projection, ... It refers to the level of detail of the map. Years ago they coincided, the app modified the zoom level of the map internally to indicate (approx.) the scale of the map. But this caused other problems, because certain details, in vector maps, depend on that value.

In the end, we chose not to modify that indicator, with the current inconveniences that you indicate.

Maybe it would be possible to include a setting to choose between maintaining the scale when changing maps or maintaining the zoom level.

orux

Hauke

Hi orux,
thanks for your reply. I'd be really happy if ther'd be a way to have rasters and vectors match in some way.
To explain why: I use the raster maps from Germany's authorities, which are available free to use when registered, namely the WebAtlasDE. While these maps are very good, they lack POIs and some other information I'd love to have in there. Currently, I use MOBAC to overlay OpenStreetMap data over the raster maps. This works very well, but is limited in maximum zoom level, unless I want to create extremely large data files. So my idea was to do everything with oruxmaps, i.e. have the raster maps up to a reasonable zoom level, and then overlay OpenStreetMap data via Mapsforge rendering. When zooming in beyond maximum raster zoom level, the raster would get somewhat pixelated, but the vector would zoom well, which would be good enough for me. Currently this fails utterly.
Cheers
Hauke