Mapsforge hill-shading bug for Android version >=8.0 and Orux version > 7.3.4

Started by svrider, April 25, 2020, 01:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svrider

Hi,
This bug has already been mentioned in this post from another user (https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=21242) but it became no answer so I will explain the issue more in detail.

On my phone & tablet, the Mapsforge built-in hill-shading is not displayed at "usable" zoom levels, only for low zoom levels (9 and lower). So I decided to make an exhaustive test campaign :

I have tested my two "real" devices : Galaxy Tab A10 & Galaxy S8 running with Android 9.0
And also several devices with the Genymotion emulator : Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Amazon Fire HD 8, Galaxy S9, running on Android versions 4.4, 6.0, 7.0, 7.1, 8.0, 8.1, 9.0.

I have tested several versions of Oruxmaps : 7.3.4, 7.3.7, 7.4.22, 7.5.9beta38

I have enabled Mapsforge built-in hill-shading, and disabled Oruxmaps hill-shading :
"Maps settings/Mapsforge settings/Apply hill shadows" Enabled
"Maps settings/Apply hill shadows" Disabled
I always use the "Default mapsforge theme" (hill-shading is enabled by default : <hillshading/>)

Hereunder the status :

Hill-shading is displayed for Oruxmaps versions up to 7.3.4 or for Android versions up to 7.1  :D
But for Oruxmaps versions higher than 7.3.4 and for Android versions 8.0 and more, the hill-shading is NOT displayed for zoom level higher than a threshold that is device dependent (8 to 10 in my tests). For zoom levels below this threshold, the hill-shading is displayed normally.

Note : the behaviour is the same for all maps I have tested (Openandromaps (v4), Mapsforge site maps (v3, v4, v5), self created maps (v4)).

Something happened between Oruxmaps 7.3.4 &7.3.7 and/or between Android 7.1 & 8.0

@orux : would it be possible to check if there is an explanation to this behaviour ?

Thanks
Daniel