OruxMaps on TicWatch E2

Started by joseph77, May 15, 2020, 05:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joseph77

Hello,
I have bought a Ticwatch E2 with Android Wear to use it with Orux but GooglePlay says it is not compatible with the device.
Is it possible to install Orux on the watch in any other way?
Or otherwise, is it possibile to use the GPS signal from the watch when using Orux on the phone?
Is there a list of Wear watches on which Orux works?
Thanks so much for this wonderful app
Giuseppe

matt

Hi Giuseppe,
i had/have Orux on 2 Ticwatches (E and Pro) running.
Your wording lets me think that you attempt to install OruxMaps onto your smartswatch in the wrong way...

Assuming your Androidphone (with OruxMaps installed) and E2  are paired:
On your E2 you open the  "Wear OS" PlayStore.
At the top, "Apps on your phone >"
Is OruxMaps not listed there?

You sould see als apps, that have a Wear OS "counterpart" (or add-on?).

Matt

joseph77

Hello Matt,
thanks very much for your help.
I managed to install the app on the watch.
Now I have another question. I use Orux a lot when I am out hiking with OpenandroMaps maps and pre-loading gpx tracks of my trip to follow them on the map.
Do you know if it is possible doing something like this also with the watch? Because on the watch the app seems rather different to me from the one on the phone.
Thanks again for the answer
Giuseppe

matt

Hi Giuseppe,

you should see "Orux on Android Wear" more as an extension to your OruxMaps on your phone.
"Orux on Android Wear"  is not a standalone app.

I also use OpenAndroMaps in Orux, to track or follow a pre-loaded track.

And while you have Orux running on your phone, you can see some metrics on different dashboards of your "OruxMaps on Wear OS" watch (predefined dashboards P1, P2, P3). A "swipe left" on the watch gives you options to
- start the recording on the phone
- setting for  the map type to be shown on the watch
- a button to show a map on the watch (incl. the track you may have loaded on the phone)
- a button to create a waypoint, if i remember correctly

I was hoping once for the possibility to show the same map, as shown on the phone,  on the watch. In my case OpenAndroMaps with the choosen Elevate theme. But that does not seem to be possible.

Matt

joseph77

Thanks so much for your help Matt, now it is all much more clear.
Giuseppe