Damage to OM Folders During Direct Map Download

Started by ianL, May 13, 2016, 07:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianL

Hello

The following account is just for the record and to encourage users to do additional back-up to PC as recommended in the OM manual

I recently updated to Ver 6.5.6 (via your .apk link) and that solved the crashing problems I had with ver 6.5.5

I normally use a browser to download OAM maps to my OruxMaps folder on extSD card  However, today I attempted to download a new map from OAM using OM (Maps/Switch map/+) and in OAM website pressing "Install on Oruxmaps"  That gave an error message saying it could not write to that directory (on extSD card)  I had expected the option to select another folder but this did not happen  For reference this occurred at time T1

I then downloaded the map via browser and transferred it to the map folder on extSD  At time T2 I opened OM and selected the new map and noticed that the previous Elevate and Elements themes were missing  So I replaced these at time T3  I then noted the Waypoints and Tracks folders were all completely empty  Not feeling too good just now

With a File Manager I looked at the Oruxmaps folders in the device internal storage   Most folders were dated at time T1  Some were empty except:

cacheimg  Time T2  Loads of new files Normal I think

customwpts T1 with one .txt file (T1)

dem  T1  All files gone

mapfiles  T2  .mf_cache folder (T2) World folder (new files T1) and  .xml files (T1)

mapstyles T3

tracklogs T2 oruxmapstracks.db (52kB) and oruxmapstracks.db_journal (8.5kB) both T1  Files .backup and .backup2  both 0.00B at T2

It seems that the download process had proceeded to some degree at T1 and then further alteration/updating occurred at T2 with clean-out of the backup files

I wonder if any others have had any similar problems?  

Is it possible to look at the remaining .db files to see if there is any useful data?

Having lost everything I took copies of the remaining tracklogs files and then tried to repeat the map download and folder-damaging process but this time all folders remained unaltered

Luckily I had much of the information on another app but all this will still encourage me to do some extra backup to PC

Thanks

orux

Quote from: "ianL"Hello

The following account is just for the record and to encourage users to do additional back-up to PC as recommended in the OM manual

I recently updated to Ver 6.5.6 (via your .apk link) and that solved the crashing problems I had with ver 6.5.5

I normally use a browser to download OAM maps to my OruxMaps folder on extSD card  However, today I attempted to download a new map from OAM using OM (Maps/Switch map/+) and in OAM website pressing "Install on Oruxmaps"  That gave an error message saying it could not write to that directory (on extSD card)  I had expected the option to select another folder but this did not happen  For reference this occurred at time T1

I then downloaded the map via browser and transferred it to the map folder on extSD  At time T2 I opened OM and selected the new map and noticed that the previous Elevate and Elements themes were missing  So I replaced these at time T3  I then noted the Waypoints and Tracks folders were all completely empty  Not feeling too good just now

With a File Manager I looked at the Oruxmaps folders in the device internal storage   Most folders were dated at time T1  Some were empty except:

cacheimg  Time T2  Loads of new files Normal I think

customwpts T1 with one .txt file (T1)

dem  T1  All files gone

mapfiles  T2  .mf_cache folder (T2) World folder (new files T1) and  .xml files (T1)

mapstyles T3

tracklogs T2 oruxmapstracks.db (52kB) and oruxmapstracks.db_journal (8.5kB) both T1  Files .backup and .backup2  both 0.00B at T2

It seems that the download process had proceeded to some degree at T1 and then further alteration/updating occurred at T2 with clean-out of the backup files

I wonder if any others have had any similar problems?  

Is it possible to look at the remaining .db files to see if there is any useful data?

Having lost everything I took copies of the remaining tracklogs files and then tried to repeat the map download and folder-damaging process but this time all folders remained unaltered

Luckily I had much of the information on another app but all this will still encourage me to do some extra backup to PC

Thanks

Hello;

The app doesn't delete any files/folder.

I know people with similar problems caused by apps like 'cleaner master', 'es file explorer',...

orux

ianL

Hello Orux

I accept that in normal map download operation orux does not empty these files But that is most certainly what happened to me The initiating action occurred in orux Whether orux or some other app did the damage I cannot tell But the primary suspect is obvious

I have a file manager (not running at time) but do not have cleaner or similar app

As before my intention is to encourage users to back up occasionally to PC  Even to SD card in dummy folder should help but does not cover phone loss

Thanks for reply