Garmin Topo Maps

Started by groschi2, July 07, 2016, 08:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groschi2

please don't kill me if this topic is allready treated in this forum. I nearly allways use the openandromaps with oruxmaps. Sometimes not all ways are shown in the OSM. Often before I start a trck I plan it with mapsource. In mapsource I also use garmin topo maps. In germany I can use garmin topo map until version 10 with oruxmaps. In Italy I can use treck map italia v2 with oruxmaps. It's not possible to use German topo v6 pro or v7 pro or trekmapitalia V4 pro (any pro map).

Is this normal? Isn't oruxmaps able to work with pro maps from garmin or is it my mistake because I make my maps with mapsource. Mapsource isn't supported since a few years. I also have BaseCamp but I doesn't use it because using is terrible.

Does anybody know whether there is an option to use newer garmin topo maps?

penguin

Hi,

Same problem here.

Tried several time to rewrite the maps with gmaploader, but no avail.

Seems that recent topo promaps can't be used.

Only major roads or landmarks get rendered, but only if you split the topo map with gmaploader.

groschi2

If I understand you than it is possible to use a newer map if I use the whole map? Is that right?

penguin

No, you can't.

With a recent map you only get a white box.

When I tested with a map from 2009, I could only see the "overview" map. So major road, cities and landmarks.

I think it's due to the unlocking of the maps. These are linked to the device ID, so probably encrypted.

penguin

Tried again with some tools to unlock a map, split it, join it, not matter what, it's not working.

@orux did you test with official garmin maps?

orux

Quote from: "penguin"Tried again with some tools to unlock a map, split it, join it, not matter what, it's not working.

Hello,

sorry, but it is not possible with locked or unlocked maps in NT format (the new garmin format used by garmin). It is an unknown map format.

orux

penguin

Quote from: "orux"
Quote from: "penguin"Tried again with some tools to unlock a map, split it, join it, not matter what, it's not working.

Hello,

sorry, but it is not possible with locked or unlocked maps in NT format (the new garmin format used by garmin). It is an unknown map format.

orux

Do you know as of what year these are used?

orux

Quote from: "penguin"
Quote from: "orux"

Hello,

orux

Do you know as of what year these are used?

Hi,

I don't know.

orux

penguin

Got it working!

Just look for the tool "gimgunlock-0.03+MapSigPatch" and apply it to the img file you want to use in orux

Copy to device and done.

groschi2

Hello penguin

which map did you used? Topo-maps until 2010 are working. The problem are the pro maps. Does such a pro map work by you?

penguin

I've got topo france V4 pro.

It's working, only roads and waterways are not correct. they are scattered.

I'm thinking it might be due to the size, so now I'm trying to split up the map in smaller sizes.

Original is 3.4gb, I'm now testing for 1.7Gb

penguin

It's indeed due to the NT format :( and until it's not reversed engineered it can't be used

groschi2

I just loaded Garmin Topo TrekMap Italia v4 Pro and Garmin TOPO Deutschland 2012 Pro unlocked img version. In oruxmaps I got this result: http://www.imgbox.de/show/up/groschi2/Screenshot_20160714_182146.png">http://www.imgbox.de/show/up/groschi2/S ... 182146.png">http://www.imgbox.de/show/up/groschi2/Screenshot_20160714_182146.png

That allways the same. What is my mistake. Did you used a locked version and unlocked this with gimgunlock-0.03+MapSigPatch?

penguin

No that's indeed what I get :(

It's due to the NT format.

I just tested a map from 2008 and this one works.