Transfer OruxMaps to another device

Started by billw, July 07, 2016, 05:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billw

I'm having a problem transferring my tracks to another device, hopefully someone can help...

My question is:

How can I can transfer tracks (with photo waypoints) from my phone to my tablet (both android) without manually creating a kmz file each time?

The Problem is:

After the tracks are copied to the tablet, the photos are no longer linked to the photo waypoints so i can't see the actual pictures, even though I have copied all the pictures to the pictures folder on the tablet (but this is a different location than the phone uses  - see below).  

More info:

I'm on v6.5.9 beta.

Maps, tracks, waypoints & pictures are stored in different locations on each device as follows (the phone uses an SD card):

PHONE:

/storage/external_SD/Android/data/com.orux.oruxmapsbeta/files/

TABLET:

/storage/emulated/0/oruxmaps/

I use my android phone on the trail, so I create all my tracks with waypoints and photos there.  I use FolderSync via OwnCloud to periodically transfer these to the corresponding directories on my tablet.  But again, these are in a different location than the phone uses.  The tracks still need to be imported on the tablet manually, but this is easy to do.

I assume the issue is that the phone uses an external SD card (for maps, tracks, waypoints & pictures), whereas the tablet uses internal memory.  I wouldn't mind using KMZ and not transferring the pics separately, but the app (apparently) can't create kmz files automatically.  

Does anyone know how to automatically create KMZ files for every track, or have a way to fix the problem of linking the pictures after coping the tracks?

Thanks in advance for any help.

nurembergueso

Quote from: "billw"I'm having a problem transferring my tracks to another device, hopefully someone can help...

Maps, tracks, waypoints & pictures are stored in different locations on each device as follows (the phone uses an SD card):

PHONE:

/storage/external_SD/Android/data/com.orux.oruxmapsbeta/files/

TABLET:

/storage/emulated/0/oruxmaps/

Hi billw

I suppose the given path for the phone isn't correct. The Android folder on SD contains app configuration files but not the data that should be synchronized.

Unless OM is saving to phone's internal storage, there must be a directory "/storage/external_SD/oruxmaps/" (with subfolders "cursors", "customwpts", "dem" ... "tracklogs") on the phone as well as on the tablet,

If you synchronize these two "oruxmaps" folders it should work.

Regards

Claus

billw

Quote from: "nurembergueso"Hi billw

I suppose the given path for the phone isn't correct. The Android folder on SD contains app configuration files but not the data that should be synchronized.

Unless OM is saving to phone's internal storage, there must be a directory "/storage/external_SD/oruxmaps/" (with subfolders "cursors", "customwpts", "dem" ... "tracklogs") on the phone as well as on the tablet,

If you synchronize these two "oruxmaps" folders it should work.

Regards

Claus

Thanks for your reply (sorry for my long delay, I've been away)...  

I should have said so more clearly, but I'd already sync'd all the folders on the external sd card, this is not the problem.  

However, I did find that the tracklog db is in the internal memory folder oruxmapstracklogstracklogs.db (even if you are saving trackfiles to the external sd card), and it was not being sync'd which is why the tracks were not loaded automatically.  However even after fixing that, I still have the same problem with photos.

billw

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

The oruxmapstracks.db (Internal MemOruxmapsTracklogs) has a table called 'ext' which stores the link (WITH THE FULL PATH!) to photo waypoints - THIS IS THE PROBLEM!  

It is much better practice to NEVER hard code paths (or any other data) which has a user defined setting elsewhere in the app!  Instead the app should store ONLY the unique information (in this case this name of the photo file) and take the users setting for anything else (in this case the folder path)!

I could write an SQL query to manually update the fields with the corrected info, but then I'd have to manually run this and then copy the db each time I want to sync the app with my tablet (every week).  Is there another solution??

Better yet:

Would it be possible for the developer to update this???