Google Play version of app freezes (hangs)

Started by dm413-om, February 14, 2021, 05:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dm413-om

When I run the google play version (8.1.6 GP) of the app, the app will freeze (hang) after a minute or two of operation. Android eventually pops up a message saying the app is not responding, and I can close the app from that message box. Restart the app and it works for another minute or two or three, then freezes again.

This does not seem to happen when I use the google streets online map, but happens every time with the Arizona_NewMexico_osm map. However the google streets online map has a problem where it often does not update when you move the map.

The freezing problem does not happen with the free version (7.4.23). I can use that version for hours without freezing. Also if I add a google streets entry in the onlinemapsources.xml file, I can use that map for a long time without any update issues.

I am running on a Moto G Power phone, with 64 GB of disk space, with 24 GB used.

I initially saw this problem when I tried to upgrade from the free version to the GP version. I hypothesized that this was a problem with the upgrade process, since they share the oruxmaps folder. So I uninstalled both versions, deleted the oruxmaps folder, and reinstalled only the GP version. After re-downloading and re-installing my maps, the problem returned.

At this point I have reverted to the free version 7.4.23, which is running reliably. But it would be nice to be running the current version. Any suggestions for a fix or further debugging would be appreciated.

dm413-om

Status update:

This problem appears to be fixed in the latest version, 8.1.8 GP. However, in the meantime my phone has upgraded itself from Android 10 to Android 11, and I have updated the Arizona_NewMexico_osm map. I don't really know for sure which of these updates fixed the problem, though I suspect it was the OruxMaps update. At any rate, 8.1.8 GP runs on my Android 11 phone using the current OSM map without hanging.