Velocity

Started by hans1, March 16, 2021, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hans1

Hi

Does anybody know the way Oruxmaps computes the velocities?

I guess, it is the distance between two positions divided by the time interval between the two position fixes.

My question is, how is this time interval defined?
In the GPS settings I can only set the time interval, defining the minimum time gap between two positions to be stored. But that might not be the time interval used to compute the velocity.
Probably there is another time interval used for velocity computing. Can that be modified?

hans1

OK, after some research I got a general information about GPS velocity measurement.
A velocity information is provided by the GPS.chip of the smartphone. It has a typical  accuracy of about 0,2-0,5 m/s. It is not derived from the distance of two positions devided by the time span of the measurement but it is derived from the bias of frequencies caused by the Doppler effect of movement to frequencies.
So .... if Oruxmaps just reads this velocity information from the GPS chip of the smartphone, this information cannot be modified by extending the timespan. It is always an immediate computation for the moment of one measurement.

So .... I guess the noisy velocity information of my smartphone during running (+/-0,25m/s = 1km/h), displayed by Oruxmaps might be statistical noise or it might be the true representation of the real changes of my velocity while being in the moment of accelerating by unbending my leg in the phase of jumping upwards and the lower velocity in the moment of bending my knee after landing after the jump and decelerating before the next jump .... may be??