DEM correction

Started by lacdan, August 14, 2016, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacdan

Hi, having corrected altitudes with DEM files and comparing the results with Google Earth, altitudes are OK but the gain/loss in altitudes are much higher than in the non-corrected file or in Google Earth. I think this is not normal and I can't find any explanation.

Thank You.

Lacdan

Maki

I've seen something similar too. The common explanation is that DEMs aren't especially precise and can have pits and bumps. However I'm now using very precise LIDAR scans now and I still see strange things. I'm on holidays now, in September I'll try to test better.

lacdan

I have looked deeper at the rough data of a 10 km track in Belgium: with a ~10 meters interval between successive measures there are bumps and pits up to 35 m in the DEM corrected track but only max 12 meters in the non corrected track !

Lacdan

orux

Quote from: "lacdan"I have looked deeper at the rough data of a 10 km track in Belgium: with a ~10 meters interval between successive measures there are bumps and pits up to 35 m in the DEM corrected track but only max 12 meters in the non corrected track !

Lacdan

Hello,

Check the 'interpolate DEM altitudes' checkbox in configuration--sensors--gps.

I think google earth uses a more detailed DEM grid.

orux

lacdan

I checked the interpolate dem but it doesn't work : results are the same as gps altitudes.