route or track, I'm so confussed who helps me out

Started by deech123, February 19, 2017, 03:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deech123

HI guys,

who can help me out.

I use BaseCamp to make a track (you can see 2 foot as icon).

then I select the track and in export it as .GPX

then I transfer it to my phone, and in Oruxmaps I go to :

load KML- or GPX- file

then I click on : Follow, alarm checked and then I click also on START TRACKING.

then I also start on : START STORAGE.

i did the test today, a track had 13.2 KM total lenght.

the moment we started our walking, on my dashboard, I can see that the distance to the endpoint was only 4.7 KM

while we are walking and reach the 4.7 KM, suddenly this number wend up to 6.2KM, then after 1 hour it goes to 7.2KM and then 1 km before then end (so we allready did 12KM) it showed us over 5.6 km to go.

so also ETE and ETA was complete wrong.

is there anybody who can explain me what I did wrong? and why oruxmaps was having problems to show me the real ETA and ETA and KM to end point?

I think anybody who can give me the clue, since I tested 3 times, not working as should.

I can share the .GPX so that somebody can maybe check it and see what is going on?

thx

Didier

NAVTAC

Quote from: "deech123"HI guys,

who can help me out.

I use BaseCamp to make a track (you can see 2 foot as icon).

then I select the track and in export it as .GPX

then I transfer it to my phone, and in Oruxmaps I go to :

load KML- or GPX- file

then I click on : Follow, alarm checked and then I click also on START TRACKING.

then I also start on : START STORAGE.

i did the test today, a track had 13.2 KM total lenght.

the moment we started our walking, on my dashboard, I can see that the distance to the endpoint was only 4.7 KM

while we are walking and reach the 4.7 KM, suddenly this number wend up to 6.2KM, then after 1 hour it goes to 7.2KM and then 1 km before then end (so we allready did 12KM) it showed us over 5.6 km to go.

so also ETE and ETA was complete wrong.

is there anybody who can explain me what I did wrong? and why oruxmaps was having problems to show me the real ETA and ETA and KM to end point?

I think anybody who can give me the clue, since I tested 3 times, not working as should.

I can share the .GPX so that somebody can maybe check it and see what is going on?

thx

Didier

For a start, I advice not to use Basecamp. Garmin's Basecamp adds additional information to gpx-files, so these are not "standard".

Secondly, you can try to read the gpx-file using a simple text editor like Windows Notepad to check for the contents of it.

If Basecamp is the only software you have/use/know, you can try to export a route instead of a track from Basecamp and see how that is behaving.

deech123

thx for your reply.

if you do not suggest BaseCamp, any other free program I can use with toppo maps, so I can make my hikes and then transfer them to OruxMaps?

D.

NAVTAC

Quote from: "deech123"thx for your reply.

if you do not suggest BaseCamp, any other free program I can use with toppo maps, so I can make my hikes and then transfer them to OruxMaps?

D.

You can try (no topo):

- Itinerary Converter and Planner

- Tyre (off road possible)

- MyRoute (off road probably possible)

or  (topo possible):

- OruxMaps (on phone or tablet)

deech123

hi thx for that, just looked at them

the ITN Converter seems nice, but problem is that - for what I see - we need internet connection.

Since sometimes i'm in the real mountains with no data or internet, only my laptop and my cell phone with oruxmaps, I wonder if this can be use in offline mode also?

So normally I plan my hiking routes on the computer and then transfer them to oruxmaps.

NAVTAC

Quote from: "deech123"hi thx for that, just looked at them

the ITN Converter seems nice, but problem is that - for what I see - we need internet connection.

Since sometimes i'm in the real mountains with no data or internet, only my laptop and my cell phone with oruxmaps, I wonder if this can be use in offline mode also?

So normally I plan my hiking routes on the computer and then transfer them to oruxmaps.

At home you have internet connection, so that shouldn't be a problem.

OruxMaps can use maps offline.

If your routes are not too long, it's relatively easy to make these at home using only the Oruxmaps app on a tablet or even on a phone.