Error with compass navigation

Started by liketobike, March 12, 2017, 10:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liketobike

Dear Orux,

I'm using the OM 7.0.5 Donate and I have a big problem with the compass navigation.

How to replicate my problem?:

- added 2 waypoints to a map I know far south of my position

- startet the waypoint navigation to go to these waypoints

- switched to the TC-4 Screen for compass navigation

==> compass is oriented by magnetic sensor, next waypoint is drawn in, distance informations are correct ==> OK

What are the problems?:

The arrow in the compass shows in any direction but not North!!

The needle is very nervous and inaccurate and if you rotate the phone like 90° is goes more or less with it.

At the same time when I look at the compass in the GPSStatus app it is showing to north and reacts smooth.

To me it seems that there is a big bug sitting on the compass needle of OM?  ;)

Sadly in this condition it is not possible to navigate waypoints with OM.

Would be nice to hear what you think of it.

Thanks!

orux

Quote from: "liketobike"Dear Orux,

I'm using the OM 7.0.5 Donate and I have a big problem with the compass navigation.

How to replicate my problem?:

- added 2 waypoints to a map I know far south of my position

- startet the waypoint navigation to go to these waypoints

- switched to the TC-4 Screen for compass navigation

==> compass is oriented by magnetic sensor, next waypoint is drawn in, distance informations are correct ==> OK

What are the problems?:

The arrow in the compass shows in any direction but not North!!

The needle is very nervous and inaccurate and if you rotate the phone like 90° is goes more or less with it.

At the same time when I look at the compass in the GPSStatus app it is showing to north and reacts smooth.

To me it seems that there is a big bug sitting on the compass needle of OM?  ;)

Sadly in this condition it is not possible to navigate waypoints with OM.

Would be nice to hear what you think of it.

Thanks!

Hello,

The arrow in the center points to the wpt. you are navigating to.

The external ring points to the North ('N')

But if you like GPS Status as navigation tool, you can use it from OruxMaps. If you are navigating to a wpt, and you open GPS Status app from the map viewer more->tools->GPS Status, that app will be open navigating to the same wpt.

orux

liketobike

Hi Orux,

thanks for that super quick reply!

OK I now understand how it should work  :D (I first thought that the drawn in waypoint next to the compass is

drawn in the cardinal direction). I also figured out the cause of my main problem but there is one little thing not working as described by you.

So:

QuoteThe arrow in the center points to the wpt. you are navigating to."
==> top, that feature is working

QuoteThe external ring points to the North ('N')
==> No and I think that's the point. I just figured out that GPSStatus has the same Problem

and the reason for it is that I'm indoors and this seems to influence the accuracy of the compass a lot. ==> so error 40 and not a bug in your Software :lol:

QuoteIf you are navigating to a wpt, and you open GPS Status app from the map viewer more->tools->GPS Status, that app will be open navigating to the same wpt

==> Unfortunately not. I have GPSStatus 7.5.168 -PRO and it opens out of OM but not showing any wpt.

Thaks for your help and best regards!

liketobike