Move Complete Oruxmaps Folder to SD Card?

Started by Steve_Sr, October 29, 2017, 09:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_Sr

Hello,

I have an old 16GB  Galaxy GS4 (KitKat 4.4.2) that is running out of main storage. I have a 64 GB SD card that is almost empty! Can I move the complete:

MainStorage/Oruxmaps/....

Data folder to the SD card? Looks like it should go here:

MediaCard/Android/Data/Oruxmaps/....

Is this possible without breaking the app? What setting(s) do I have to change in Oruxmaps to allow the app to find the new data location? Do I have to do this in a particular sequence to keep from breaking things?

Thanks,

Steve

matt

Hello Steve,

you can't put everything on the SD card. But maps/DEM files and tracks.

New location of maps/tracks to be defined in:

"Global Settings"->Maps->"Maps directory" and "DEM files directory"

"Global Settings"->"Tracks/Routes"->"Routes, tracks directory"

I recently noticed there is a menue/function since v7.0.0 to automate this, at:

"Global Settings"->"Application"->"Migrate to Ext. SD"

Also, from the english OruxMaps manual v7.0.0, page 27 http://www.oruxmaps.com/oruxmapsmanual_en.pdf">http://www.oruxmaps.com/oruxmapsmanual_en.pdf :

IMPORTANT:  If  you  use  kitkat  or  above  (android  >=  4.4).  If  you  use  an external sdcard to store your maps and tracks, you must move these folders to the app directory in /Android/data/com.orux.oruxmaps/files/ folder, because OruxMaps can't write inside another directory.

Matt

Steve_Sr

Matt,

Quote from: "matt"Hello Steve,

you can't put everything on the SD card. But maps/DEM files and tracks.

New location of maps/tracks to be defined in:

"Global Settings"->Maps->"Maps directory" and "DEM files directory"

"Global Settings"->"Tracks/Routes"->"Routes, tracks directory"

Matt

Now I know what I should be able to move!

Quote from: "matt"
I recently noticed there is a menu/function since v7.0.0 to automate this, at:

"Global Settings"->"Application"->"Migrate to Ext. SD"

Matt

I have version 7.0.2 and this function is NOT available. So it was either removed or does not work / does not apply to Android KitKat 4.4.2

Also, from the english OruxMaps manual v7.0.0, page 27 http://www.oruxmaps.com/oruxmapsmanual_en.pdf">http://www.oruxmaps.com/oruxmapsmanual_en.pdf :

IMPORTANT:  If  you  use  kitkat  or  above  (android  >=  4.4).  If  you  use  an external sdcard to store your maps and tracks, you must move these folders to the app directory in /Android/data/com.orux.oruxmaps/files/ folder, because OruxMaps can't write inside another directory.

Matt

I saw that and my quick research seemed to indicate that the com.* folders were legacy from BEFORE KitKat. I could easily be wrong. I am no Android guru!

Here is what I currently have on SD card...

mediacard/android/data/com.orux.oruxmaps/ + a zero byte file called "files"

So should the Dem, Mapfiles, TrackLogs folders be moved next to the empty "files" file?

matt

Quote from: "Steve_Sr"
I have version 7.0.2 and this function is NOT available. So it was either removed or does not work / does not apply to Android KitKat 4.4.2

Hi Steve, maybe first update to the current version (7.1.6 at 31st October) of OruxMaps?

Steve_Sr

Hi Steve, maybe first update to the current version (7.1.6 at 31st October) of OruxMaps?

This version is not in the play store and I don't know how to manually install it. I don't see this minor version change as being significant in this issue.

I did some minor messing with files and the SD card using FX (File Explorer) and have been unable to successfully write to the SD card. All I have managed to do is to create empty folders that I have been unable to remove. I get the FX KitKat warning about writing to SD card. FX used to have a workaround for this but apparently doesn't work any more.

I fail to understand how OSMand+ another Open Streetmap application can put its maps on the SD card while Orux cannot.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve_Sr

Well, I finally gave up on FX and went back to the MyFiles built-in file app.

Using MyFiles I had no trouble copying the MapFiles folder to here:

Storage/ExtSDcard/Android/data/com.orux.oruxmaps/mapfiles.

Anybody see anything wrong here?

I then went into Orux and changed the Maps directory to:

/storage/extSdCard/android/data/com.orux.oruxmaps/mapfiles/.

Anybody see anything wrong yet?

To test this I deleted my local map from my main storage mapfiles folder to verify that Orux was using the new location. Unfortunately Orux couldn't find my local map in the new location.

Is Orux busted or is there something I did wrong? Man I have wasted HOURS on something that should be simple!

Steve_Sr

Quote from: "Steve_Sr"Well, I finally gave up on FX and went back to the MyFiles built-in file app.

To test this I deleted my local map from my main storage mapfiles folder to verify that Orux was using the new location. Unfortunately Orux couldn't find my local map in the new location.

Is Orux busted or is there something I did wrong? Man I have wasted HOURS on something that should be simple!

Apparently you need to perform a correct incantation to get Orux to "find" the new location. Simply changing it in the settings is NOT enough. Apparently Orux saves the mapfile locations in a separate database (XML file). The only way the XML file gets updated is to "Refresh Offline Maps" Go figure...

So why can't Orux do this automatically as part of updating the map location settings? Doh!

To test this I downloaded a new map and it got put in the new SD card location and I was able to access it. I haven't tried deleting the old mapfiles folder in main storage.

orux

Quote from: "Steve_Sr"
Quote from: "Steve_Sr"Well, I finally gave up on FX and went back to the MyFiles built-in file app.

Apparently you need to perform a correct incantation to get Orux to "find" the new location. Simply changing it in the settings is NOT enough. Apparently Orux saves the mapfile locations in a separate database (XML file). The only way the XML file gets updated is to "Refresh Offline Maps" Go figure...

So why can't Orux do this automatically as part of updating the map location settings? Doh!

To test this I downloaded a new map and it got put in the new SD card location and I was able to access it. I haven't tried deleting the old mapfiles folder in main storage.

Hello;

the automatic refresh of map list is done if you use the last versions (I think in all 7.1.x versions).

orux

Stager

I use "3C Toolbox" to link directories from device to external SD card. No problems with OruxMaps.