Add ascent/descent speed in track graphics and overlay

Started by stefano64, July 24, 2018, 02:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefano64

Hello,

first of all, many thanks for developing and maintaining Oruxmpas, one of the best apps for Android!

I'm an hiker, and would ask/suggest to add the capability to show the scent/descent speed (m/h) to both track graphics and overlay.

The existing "slope" parameter indicates the steepness of a path, but it says nothing about the performance of an hiker.

While walking on the Alp paths, I'm usually interested on my ascent speed (and descent too) since these is a direct measure of my upward (downward) walking performance.

Since I know my mean upward speed is about 500-600 m/h, I can guess to make a 1000m ascent in about 2 hours.

It would be really nice to see that info on both track graphics and map overlay, in addition to the "slope".

my best,

Stefano

orux

Quote from: stefano64 post_id=13890 time=1532437129 user_id=7789
Hello,

first of all, many thanks for developing and maintaining Oruxmpas, one of the best apps for Android!

I'm an hiker, and would ask/suggest to add the capability to show the scent/descent speed (m/h) to both track graphics and overlay.

The existing "slope" parameter indicates the steepness of a path, but it says nothing about the performance of an hiker.

While walking on the Alp paths, I'm usually interested on my ascent speed (and descent too) since these is a direct measure of my upward (downward) walking performance.

Since I know my mean upward speed is about 500-600 m/h, I can guess to make a 1000m ascent in about 2 hours.

It would be really nice to see that info on both track graphics and map overlay, in addition to the "slope".

my best,

Stefano

Hello;

I am going to add a vertical speed in the dashboard in next version. I am going to use last 10 minutes ascent/decent value for calculating current vertical speed.

I suppose you are talking about adding that control to the trip computer view?

orux

stefano64

Quote from: orux post_id=13920 time=1532686523 user_id=2
I am going to add a vertical speed in the dashboard in next version. I am going to use last 10 minutes ascent/decent value for calculating current vertical speed.

I suppose you are talking about adding that control to the trip computer view?

Hi Orux,

that's really good, adding the vertical speed would be great!

Since I walk for several hours, I usually keep the screen of my smartphone off to save the battery, checking Oruxmaps rarely, only when I'm not sure to be on the right path. I wear a watch with a barometric altimeter (Suunto) that show me the instantaneous vertical speed in meters per minute. So, apart from the trip computer view, I would like to plot the vertical speed in the track graphics, as I can do for the altitude, slope and speed. It would be also great to see the vertical speed along a track, colour-coded in the map overlay as for the slope (LOVE that!)

Stefano