TTS engine language should be == App language

Started by tico-tico, September 08, 2018, 02:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tico-tico

Hi, here's my story.

I speak Russian and my Android UI language is set to Russian, but since Orux translation is awful I really prefer English interface. So I switched to English and faced this: TTS trying to speak English words (like 'meters') using Russian engine. It sounds funny and sometimes kinda creepy.

So I see two solutions: the first one is to set the TTS engine language equal to the app language (and I will have nice English TTS, thats OK), or make separate from the app UI setting for the TTS language (together for text and for engine).

My two cents about translations. I believe that you actually should make an open git repository on github/gitlab for translations and TTS string, that will attract plenty of translation volunteers for sure. And the bugtracker could be used as an official bugtracker for the app instead of the forum.

Thanks for reading and for the nice app Mr Orux.

orux

Quote from: tico-tico post_id=14180 time=1536366375 user_id=7948
Hi, here's my story.

I speak Russian and my Android UI language is set to Russian, but since Orux translation is awful I really prefer English interface. So I switched to English and faced this: TTS trying to speak English words (like 'meters') using Russian engine. It sounds funny and sometimes kinda creepy.

So I see two solutions: the first one is to set the TTS engine language equal to the app language (and I will have nice English TTS, thats OK), or make separate from the app UI setting for the TTS language (together for text and for engine).

My two cents about translations. I believe that you actually should make an open git repository on github/gitlab for translations and TTS string, that will attract plenty of translation volunteers for sure. And the bugtracker could be used as an official bugtracker for the app instead of the forum.

Thanks for reading and for the nice app Mr Orux.

Hello!

The app tries to start the TTS engine in the app selected language (global configuration--application--language). If you have selected en_US, and you have that engine installed, it should use that engine.

The texts are in google documents, easy to use by anyone, I think it is a method easier to use and share than in github, where a user is necessary because the majority of collaborators are not skilled users.

But if you know a better option, all suggestions are welcomed.

orux

tico-tico

QuoteThe app tries to start the TTS engine in the app selected language (global configuration--application--language). If you have selected en_US, and you have that engine installed, it should use that engine.

Hi! Since i'm using Google TTS engine (com.google.android.tts from the Google Play) as the default and the only one TTS engine, plenty of languages are supported, English TTS works just fine in other apps. In oruxmaps it still speaks russian numbers (and english words in russian way) even when gui language is set to en_US.

Maybe I should have mentioned my Android version, it's ancient kit-kat.

tico-tico

Hi, any news on this issue? It still mixes russian and english words (like "devyat' meters") even with en_US UI locale.

Edit:

I mean that something like TTS.setLanguage(new Locale("en_US")); is expected before synthesis begins.