v7.4.0 Donate - slow to open

Started by Explorer, November 27, 2018, 07:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Explorer

I recently upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Tab A, 8" Tablet, 16 Gb Internal Memory (Model T350, 1.5Gb Ram, 1.2 GHz quad-core processor) from Oruxmaps Donate v7.3.7 to v7.4.0 Donate and now Oruxmaps takes 85 seconds for it to open, when it would open almost instantly with v7.3.7.  When I open the OruxMaps App the OruxMaps red screen appears with the white circle, in the upper right corner going around, but the white circle indicating it is running continues to go around for 85 seconds until the app opens and then works without any further issues.  It repeats this same process every time I open the OruxMaps App.  I do have several (13) small custom .img files (mapfiles) on my tablet with custom .typ files for those custom .img files, but all of the files are very small in size.  The average size for the custom .img files is about 150 Kb with their corresponding .typ file being only 14 Kb in size.  I also have a few custom cursors  and (9) NOAA .mbtiles (mapfiles) that average about 30,000 Kb in size, plus 5 Overlays that are also very small in size, averaging about 30 Kb in size.  Nothing was changed on the tablet during the time of upgrading from v7.3.7 to v7.4.0.

Just wondering why this v7.4.0 Donate is now taking so long to open?  Is anyone else experiencing this after upgrading to v7.4.0 Donate?

orux

Quote from: Explorer post_id=14542 time=1543341772 user_id=6450
I recently upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Tab A, 8" Tablet, 16 Gb Internal Memory (Model T350, 1.5Gb Ram, 1.2 GHz quad-core processor) from Oruxmaps Donate v7.3.7 to v7.4.0 Donate and now Oruxmaps takes 85 seconds for it to open, when it would open almost instantly with v7.3.7.  When I open the OruxMaps App the OruxMaps red screen appears with the white circle, in the upper right corner going around, but the white circle indicating it is running continues to go around for 85 seconds until the app opens and then works without any further issues.  It repeats this same process every time I open the OruxMaps App.  I do have several (13) small custom .img files (mapfiles) on my tablet with custom .typ files for those custom .img files, but all of the files are very small in size.  The average size for the custom .img files is about 150 Kb with their corresponding .typ file being only 14 Kb in size.  I also have a few custom cursors  and (9) NOAA .mbtiles (mapfiles) that average about 30,000 Kb in size, plus 5 Overlays that are also very small in size, averaging about 30 Kb in size.  Nothing was changed on the tablet during the time of upgrading from v7.3.7 to v7.4.0.

Just wondering why this v7.4.0 Donate is now taking so long to open?  Is anyone else experiencing this after upgrading to v7.4.0 Donate?

Hello!

If you click the 'refresh map list' button in the map selector view (offline tab), do you get any error message?

Check if the maps folder is right in global settings--maps--maps directory.

And select the checkbox in settings--maps--skip map check.

orux

Explorer

Quote from: orux post_id=14560 time=1543783084 user_id=2
Hello!

If you click the 'refresh map list' button in the map selector view (offline tab), do you get any error message?

Check if the maps folder is right in global settings--maps--maps directory.

And select the checkbox in settings--maps--skip map check.

orux

When I clicked the "refresh map list" button in the map selector view (offline tab) I did not get any error messages, but again, it still took 85 seconds for the maps to refresh.

The "Maps Directory" path in the Global Settings for the offline maps is: (/storage/emulated/0/oruxmaps/mapfiles/) and this is the same that it has been for 2 years now.

I have always left the checkbox in settings--maps--skip map check - "Unchecked", and up until this new v7.4.0 Donate, OruxMaps has never been slow to open.  All of the older versions have always opened in about 3-5 seconds.

I just checked the box for "Skip Map Check" and then "refreshed map list" and again it took 85 seconds to refresh the map list with no new maps added in OruxMaps, but something that did happen is that on one of my custom .img maps when I click to open it, OruxMaps is erroneously opening one of my NOAA .mbtiles maps instead of opening the actual mapfile I have selected.  I am going to reinstall this particular mapfile that is not opening to see if it will open properly after reinstalling it.

Explorer

I completely recompiled the map that was not opening properly where the NOAA map was opening in place of the correct map, and again tried opening Oruxmaps and it opened quicker but now with the "Skip Map Check" box checked only 2 of my .img offline maps appeared in my map list until I refreshed the map list; and then again it took 85 seconds for the map list to refresh.

In this one map that is not opening correctly I did have the & (and) symbol and the ' (apostrophe) symbol both in the name of the map/mapfile.  I changed the name of the map to not include these 2 symbols and Oruxmaps now opens in it's normal 3-5 seconds, even with the box left unchecked for "Skip Map check" and also now when I refresh the map list in the offline tab the maps refresh in about 2 seconds.  It appears that something about 1 or both of the (2) symbols that I had in the name of the map, Oruxmaps did not like, even though it would work, it just took a long time for the map list to refresh.

Problem solved by removing the symbols being used as characters in the name of the map.

libove

I have what appears to be a similar problem. Since the recent update to v7.4.X (I don't know exactly which version update caused this; I haven't used OruxMaps in a month or two or maybe three), though I've made no changes to my MapFiles, now OruxMaps takes 90+ seconds to open. During this time, for the first minute or so, I see a series of messages about the MapFile:

"Initializing the map files ...

{map name}" ( <- it goes through my map files, taking a varying amount of time for each map file)

.. then for another 30-60 seconds the text disappears while the spinning "working" indicator continues spinning, and finally it opens.

It formerly opened within just a few seconds.

This is on a OnePlus 5T (OctaCore: 4x 2.5GHz + 4x 1.9GHz CPUs, 6GB RAM, 64GB on-board flash storage), running OnePlus' OxygenOS v5.1.7/ Android Oreo v8.1.0

If I enable the Skip Map Check option then it opens in under five seconds - but I didn't have to have that set before in order for OruxMaps to open quickly.

Relating to Explorer's final post, the only symbols in the names of my map files are:

underscore _

hyphen -

apostrophe '

space

While watching the "Initializing ..." messages go by, I do not notice any correlation between the map file names (simple single word, multiple words with spaces or hyphens or underscores) and how long they take to "initialize".

help, please?

thanks...

Explorer

I would try renaming the map files leaving out the symbols.  I know a space between words and also the symbol for a comma do not cause a problem because I have both in several names of my maps.

libove

Well, shee-it. I removed all spaces, underscores, hyphens, and one single apostrophe, and now OruxMaps opens quickly.

Orux, I have to think this is a bug. Software shouldn't be so sensitive to the text of file/folder names :(

cgaul

I can confirm that removing am apostrophe from the file name of a map (proper spelling of the Hawaii island O'ahu) brought back the startup speed I had before the recent update.