Rendering quality in new versions degraded

Started by mbaertl, November 26, 2013, 08:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaertl

Hello,

I am using oruxmaps quite often for biking and I am using OSM with a specific overlay for MTBs. After version 5.5.11 I have noticed that the rendering quality changed on my Nexus 4. For some reasons on my Nexus 7 (2012) Maps are still perfectly displayed. So it seems to be specific to the Nexus 4. I am running Android 4.4, but on both devices. I have added a screenshot. On the left you cann see the rendering issue from the new version - even with the new beta 4 version it is the same. On the right, when using the version 5.5.11 or before... It would be great if this issue could be identified...

regards,

Matthias

Maki

I think you have digital zoom enabled. Check the settings. It happened the same to me with the last update, it went from 100 to 150.

orux

Quote from: "Maki"I think you have digital zoom enabled. Check the settings. It happened the same to me with the last update, it went from 100 to 150.

Hi,

Because devices have increased pixel density, (example sg4 1920x1050 px with 5") and the maps are not prepared for these resolutions, the details of the maps (letters, for example) do not look good. On initial installation, OM calculates an adequate pre-zoom level for the current pixel density. But this value can be changed in settings - maps - zoom settings - pre zoom level.

orux

Maki

Hi Jose,

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing, if so I strongly disagree with you.

I'm using the last version from the Play Store (non beta) with OpenAndroMaps and a personal theme derived from Elevate on a Galaxy Nexus (around 300dpi, possibly 320). Default zoom is set to 100% and Mapsforge text multiplier is set to 1.5. I can't find the "pre zoom" setting.

To me everything was fine until the last update when the maps started to look jagged and I couldn't understand why. Then I looked at the dashboard and noticed that the digital zoom was jumping to 150% every time I changed zoom level. It then took me several minutes in the settings to understand what changed and how to fix it. At least when using vector maps digital zoom should IMHO not be enabled without user consent; even more so during an update. With raster maps it may be different since zooming is limited, but I still think the user should be warned. And possibly use some interpolation to avoid jagged lines.

That said, yes, increased pixel density can be a problem even with vector maps with mapsforge, since symbols don't scale, but that's better solved using a theme with bigger symbols that scale properly rather than a very crude digital zoom. As hinted above I'm working on it, maybe I can show something next week. Maybe not, it snowed and my skis are calling me... ;-)

mett

Quote from: "Maki"Hi Jose,

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing, if so I strongly disagree with you.

I'm using the last version from the Play Store (non beta) with OpenAndroMaps and a personal theme derived from Elevate on a Galaxy Nexus (around 300dpi, possibly 320). Default zoom is set to 100% and Mapsforge text multiplier is set to 1.5. I can't find the "pre zoom" setting.

To me everything was fine until the last update when the maps started to look jagged and I couldn't understand why. Then I looked at the dashboard and noticed that the digital zoom was jumping to 150% every time I changed zoom level. It then took me several minutes in the settings to understand what changed and how to fix it. At least when using vector maps digital zoom should IMHO not be enabled without user consent; even more so during an update. With raster maps it may be different since zooming is limited, but I still think the user should be warned. And possibly use some interpolation to avoid jagged lines.

That said, yes, increased pixel density can be a problem even with vector maps with mapsforge, since symbols don't scale, but that's better solved using a theme with bigger symbols that scale properly rather than a very crude digital zoom. As hinted above I'm working on it, maybe I can show something next week. Maybe not, it snowed and my skis are calling me... ;-)

That was the point. I do not know why but the zoom setting was set to 150%. After rolling it back to 100% everything is fine again!

Maki

Ok, I'm not done yet with the theme, but I can at least show a proof of concept. I link a couple of screenshots, one from a Galaxy S4, and one from a Galaxy Nexus. I couldn't attach them to the post so I uploaded them on flickr, click on the picture to access the original size.

Text multiplier is set to 2 on the S4 and 1.5 on the Gnex. The symbol set is the same, but rendered from SVG at 150% size on the S4 so that the on-screen size is the same. The theme is the same, but at one zoom level higher on the S4 to compensate for the higher density, thus showing about the same area (it can't be really the same because of the stepped zoom and different screen size). As you can see at 100% everything is perfectly defined and legible. I forgot to take a screenshot at the default 200% zoom on the S4, but it looked very bad.

PS: that screen is wicked, I thought that Full HD on a phone was overkill, but after five minutes with that monster the Gnex looked fuzzy...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30914757@N04/11314651164/"> http://www.flickr.com/photos/30914757@N04/11314648314/">