How to add more maps?

Started by Aloha, January 30, 2015, 08:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aloha

Hello,

in a tutorial about Mobile Atlas Creator and oruxmaps the instructor used a map named "OruxMaps SQlite" that produces one unique file.

In my version 1.9.1.6 of MOBAC, that map doesn't exist under "Map Source".

Where can I get it, as well as other maps and how can I embed it in the program?

How can a user create his own maps?

Regards

Aloha

Aloha

I'm very perplex that none of the 18 viewers of my thread knows how to do it; it must be very basic!

matt

Hi,

your question related to MOBAC together with the subject "How to add more maps?" is a bit misleading in this forum...

But coming to your question.

You will not find "OruxMaps Sqllite" as a MapSource in MOBAC.

"OruxMaps Sqllite" is just one of many desired output formats.

If you create a new atlas in MOBAC ("Atlas content"->New), you can selct the output format there.

BTW. i have not used MOBAC for a while, because i simply use maps and themes from http://www.openandromaps.org/en/">//http://www.openandromaps.org/en/

The best...

Matt

skibum218

OruxMaps SQlite won't show up under Map Source. OruxMaps SQlite is the atlas format that your finished map will be which allows it to work with OruxMaps. In the version of MOBAC that you are using you can select the Atlas type by going to Atlas on the top left of the window and selecting New Atlas. The new window will give you the option to select OruxMaps SQlite.

The creator of MOBAC had to remove a lot of maps from the Map Source because of legal issues. To add additional maps you will need to do it yourself. I think there might be some information on the MOBAC forums.

sent from my S4 using tapatalk

richstimson

To create an offline Openstreet map for Oruxmaps using Mobac, these are the steps I followed:

1. From Atlas menu, Select New Atlas.

2. In the 'Settings for new Atlas dialog box that appears, select OruxMaps sqllite. Enter the name of the new atlas in the top box. For this example, I'll call it 'Derby'.

2a. Select Map source 'OpenStreetmap Mapquest' from the Map Source section (top left).

There are two ways to select the area that you want to use to create your map - 'drag a rectangle/circle' or 'grid zoom'. Grid zoom allows you to select fixed squares on a grid. This is what I used.

To do this:

3. Zoom in on a city/area by double clicking on it or using the zoom slider.

4. Select Zoom levels using the check boxes on the left. I selected all of them (0-18).

5. Select Grid Zoom 11 from the grid zoom box at the top of the map.

6. Select an area of the map by clicking on a grid. This will be the area of the map that is downloaded to your device.

6a. When you select an area, notice the number of tiles required in 'Zoom levels', eg. 21856 tiles. This cannot go over 50,000 tiles for one selection. On Grid Zoom 11, the maximum number of squares I can select is two.

7. Click Add Selection in the Atlas content. This will  add the selection to the Atlas. You can repeat steps 3-6 to add more sections of map to your atlas.

8. Click the Settings button at the bottom left of the window (under Saved Profiles, etc). You may have to scroll down to see this button.

9. From the Setting | Map Size tab, set the Maximum size to the largest number in the drop down (1048575 on mine).

10. Click 'Create Atlas'. This will create a directory in your Mobac directory (where you ran Mobac from),

Note: This will take a while.

If all has gone well, You have now created the map files! In the Mobac directory, open the folder 'atlases' and you should see folder with your atlas name and the date (eg. Derby_2015-02-...etc). In it will be a sub-directory containing 2 files - a .otrk2.xml file and a .db file. The .db file is likely to be over 100Mb but is totally dependant on the number of layers and size of the area that you have selected.

Now store them on the device. To do this, I connected my Galaxy S4 phone to my PC and browsed to oruxmaps/mapfiles.

11. Copy the atlas directory ("Derby_2015...") to the mapfiles directory on the phone.

12. From the map icon on your device (top right), click 'Switch Map'. Click the Refresh button at the top of Oruxmaps screen, and your new map should appear.

13. Select the map and it will return to the map screen. You may need to zoom out so that you can find your section of map, then zoom back in again.

14. That's it!

Hope it worked for you. :-)