No easy way to change default directories to ext storage

Started by Kenneth Evans, February 21, 2014, 12:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenneth Evans

In more recent versions of Android (my Galaxy S4, for example) the call to getExternalStorageDirectory() no longer gets the external storage.  It returns /storage/emulated/0/, and on the S4 this is internal storage (which is limited in size).  The external card is at /storage/extSdCard.  For a data-intensive app such as Oruxmaps, this can eat up the internal storage.

I found I could individually change the settings to use /storage/extSdCard/oruxmaps for maps. tracks, and waypoints (the directories customwpts, geocaches, mapfiles, mapstyles, overlay, pictures, and tracklogs).  I moved the ones originally in /storage/emulated/0/oruxmaps to /storage/extSdCard/oruxmaps.

However, on restarting OruxMaps, it recreated the ones in /storage/emulated/0/.  I am not sure which ones it is using.  (The settings still have the /storage/extSdCard ones.)

This may not be a bug, but it is is a problem that should be addressed (to avoid filling up internal storage, if for no other reason).

If there is a way to do this that I missed, I apologize.  I didn't see it.

orux

Quote from: "Kenneth Evans"In more recent versions of Android (my Galaxy S4, for example) the call to getExternalStorageDirectory() no longer gets the external storage.  It returns /storage/emulated/0/, and on the S4 this is internal storage (which is limited in size).  The external card is at /storage/extSdCard.  For a data-intensive app such as Oruxmaps, this can eat up the internal storage.

I found I could individually change the settings to use /storage/extSdCard/oruxmaps for maps. tracks, and waypoints (the directories customwpts, geocaches, mapfiles, mapstyles, overlay, pictures, and tracklogs).  I moved the ones originally in /storage/emulated/0/oruxmaps to /storage/extSdCard/oruxmaps.

However, on restarting OruxMaps, it recreated the ones in /storage/emulated/0/.  I am not sure which ones it is using.  (The settings still have the /storage/extSdCard ones.)

This may not be a bug, but it is is a problem that should be addressed (to avoid filling up internal storage, if for no other reason).

If there is a way to do this that I missed, I apologize.  I didn't see it.

Hi,

some important configuration files, and the databases are stored in the original folders.

The problem is that there may be problems with the removable memory.

but later I will try to enable that change.

orux

Kenneth Evans

Quote from: "orux"The problem is that there may be problems with the removable memory.

but later I will try to enable that change.

orux

Thanks.

It looks like the intent was originally to have it on the SD card, which seems like a good idea (so the user can see the files, for example).  The problem now is that it is using internal memory for "external" storage that the user can see.

This change is thanks to Google.  I don't see a good way to deal with it, myself.  Writing code to find the SD card is likely to break.  You would like to have something in the API that does what getExternalStorage () used to do, e.g. find the SD card if one is there.  Providing a way for the user to change the default directory himself, is the best solution I have found.  In that case the user can decide if there may be problems with the removable memory (I never encountered any except you can't use the app when the card is not there.)

grantiago

Quote from: "Kenneth Evans" Providing a way for the user to change the default directory himself, is the best solution I have found.  

It would be easy to fill the onboard storage of my galaxy s3. With just two maps, idaho usa and Mexico, orux is taking up apx. 8% of the storage on my 16gb galaxy s3. (well it does't look so bad now that I've done the math. :) ) Nonetheless, it would be a nice option to let the user choose a second storage directory on the external card.

Nice app. It might be better than my Garmin GPS.  :D

orux

Quote from: "mappit"
Quote from: "Kenneth Evans" Providing a way for the user to change the default directory himself, is the best solution I have found.  

It would be easy to fill the onboard storage of my galaxy s3. With just two maps, idaho usa and Mexico, orux is taking up apx. 8% of the storage on my 16gb galaxy s3. (well it does't look so bad now that I've done the math. :) ) Nonetheless, it would be a nice option to let the user choose a second storage directory on the external card.

Nice app. It might be better than my Garmin GPS.  :D

Hi,  you can move the maps to the external storage (settings--maps--maps directory)

What you must keep inside the internal storage are the configuraton files.

Maps are the heaviest thing. The other files that should be on internal storage should not weigh too much.

orux

frturpin

Hi, I can't change the offline map directory to my sd card.

I go into the setting menu, then map, then "change offline map directory", then I navigate to my sd card, GARMIN directory and finally my gmapsupp.img file. And here I'm stuck. How do I validate ? When I click on the map file nothing happens. When I go back, the offline mat directory did not change.

What's the solution ?

Thank's !

François

orux

Quote from: "frturpin"Hi, I can't change the offline map directory to my sd card.

I go into the setting menu, then map, then "change offline map directory", then I navigate to my sd card, GARMIN directory and finally my gmapsupp.img file. And here I'm stuck. How do I validate ? When I click on the map file nothing happens. When I go back, the offline mat directory did not change.

What's the solution ?

Thank's !

François

Hi,

You have to select a folder, not a file.

The folders are selected with a 'double tap' gesture.

orux