Extreemly slow waypoints loading in Waypoints manager screen

Started by walterpnt, September 13, 2017, 11:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterpnt

Hi Orux,

First I'd like to compliment about the app and say it is (in my point of view) by far the best navigation app for non-urban use.

I purchased the paid version and all my friends did the same to support the further development and show our gratitude.

so, big thanks for this app!  :)

to the subject:

I have ~40,000 POIs that i use with an offline map. the POIs are saved in Orux and works great (filtering, editing, presenting etc.).

The issue is that when I go to "Manage Wpts.", it takes around 2-5 minutes of "Loading" the POIs (depending on the phone/tablet hardware).

There's also different waiting time between OruxMaps version 6.x and 7.x. Version 7.x is slower and has longer waiting time until I see the POIs list.

I'm not sure if to call this a bug, but it is not s "Feature" either... :)

Any chance this can somehow be improved? this is very frustrating every time I have to manage Waypoints.

TIA and Regards,

me.

orux

Quote from: "walterpnt"Hi Orux,

First I'd like to compliment about the app and say it is (in my point of view) by far the best navigation app for non-urban use.

I purchased the paid version and all my friends did the same to support the further development and show our gratitude.

so, big thanks for this app!  :)

to the subject:

I have ~40,000 POIs that i use with an offline map. the POIs are saved in Orux and works great (filtering, editing, presenting etc.).

The issue is that when I go to "Manage Wpts.", it takes around 2-5 minutes of "Loading" the POIs (depending on the phone/tablet hardware).

There's also different waiting time between OruxMaps version 6.x and 7.x. Version 7.x is slower and has longer waiting time until I see the POIs list.

I'm not sure if to call this a bug, but it is not s "Feature" either... :)

Any chance this can somehow be improved? this is very frustrating every time I have to manage Waypoints.

TIA and Regards,

me.

Thanks!

OruxMaps is not intended for such amount of wpts!

I will look for a solution, but it will involve losing many of the functionality of the wpts management screen, which involves loading all the wpts into memory in order to sort them, sort them, ...

orux

walterpnt

Quote from: "orux"

Thanks!

I will look for a solution, but it will involve losing many of the functionality of the wpts management screen, which involves loading all the wpts into memory in order to sort them, sort them, ...

orux

Thank you so much for your answer.

so far (again, in my point of view) this point is the "Achilles heel" that makes the difference between an awesome app to perfect app.

Much Appreciated! Cheers!..

orux

Quote from: "walterpnt"

Thanks!

orux

so far (again, in my point of view) this point is the "Achilles heel" that makes the difference between an awesome app to perfect app.

Hello!

Please, test last beta version, go to settings-->wpts--> and check 'simplified view option.

Tell me if it works fine, I don't have a database with such amount of wpts :)

orux

walterpnt

Thanks!

orux

Hello!

Please, test last beta version, go to settings-->wpts--> and check 'simplified view option.

orux

Hi Orux.

Sorry for my late response, I've downloaded the Beta and tested the new feature.

Now the Waypoints are loading super fast, but I find it a little useless (no offense  :oops: ) without sorting and filtering.

please allow me to suggest maybe to load the POIs into RAM in the background (after the application loads) and keep them in RAM until the application is closed. I don't mind to spend 20-40MB of RAM for this feature and this option may also be configurable in the waypoints settings (so the app can still be resource efficient by default).

One more thing - the fast load only works from "Manage Wpts" menu, so if i long press on a location in the map -> open the menu and choose "Nearest Waypoints" it is loading the Waypoints slowly, ignoring the "Simplified View" option.

BTW - If you want, I can share with you my POIs for testing (even though I'm more then happy to do the tests) or build a demo XML file prepared for import.

In any case, I playing a lot with the app so I don't mind to the tests, just let me know if you want my POIs XML.

Many Thanks! :)

orux

Hello!

orux

Hi Orux.

Sorry for my late response, I've downloaded the Beta and tested the new feature.

Now the Waypoints are loading super fast, but I find it a little useless (no offense  :oops: ) without sorting and filtering.

please allow me to suggest maybe to load the POIs into RAM in the background (after the application loads) and keep them in RAM until the application is closed. I don't mind to spend 20-40MB of RAM for this feature and this option may also be configurable in the waypoints settings (so the app can still be resource efficient by default).

One more thing - the fast load only works from "Manage Wpts" menu, so if i long press on a location in the map -> open the menu and choose "Nearest Waypoints" it is loading the Waypoints slowly, ignoring the "Simplified View" option.

BTW - If you want, I can share with you my POIs for testing (even though I'm more then happy to do the tests) or build a demo XML file prepared for import.

In any case, I playing a lot with the app so I don't mind to the tests, just let me know if you want my POIs XML.

Hello!

Yes, you can sort/filter. In the last beta are added some more options, including the possibility of carrying the wpts. selected to the old screen, to sort them by dragging the items.

Load the Wpts into memory. it is not possible in many cases. 40-50mb can be lots of memory.

But there are some options that will never be possible, because the database has no spatial capabilities, and there are searches, by distance for example, that can not be done.

orux

walterpnt

Hello!

orux

Hi Orux.

Hello!

Yes, you can sort/filter. In the last beta are added some more options, including the possibility of carrying the wpts. selected to the old screen, to sort them by dragging the items.

Load the Wpts into memory. it is not possible in many cases. 40-50mb can be lots of memory.

But there are some options that will never be possible, because the database has no spatial capabilities, and there are searches, by distance for example, that can not be done.

orux

Hi Orux,

I've tested the latest Beta and it works very fast and I can also filter, but I cannot choose all POIs at once. After filter I can easily have 40+ POIs, which I need to choose all of them one by one with the finger. This makes it hard to use and if there's nothing else that can be done, then I'll have to go back and use the old and slow way.

Hopefully there is a way to make it work.

I much appreciate your attention to this, THANKS!..