UK coordinate does not fit in radar field

Started by arthur, February 18, 2014, 09:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthur

There appears to be a bug that prevents a UK OSGB coordinate fully appearing in a trip computer field. The last five characters are missing and replaced with three dots.

If it is difficult fitting the full 10 characters into one field, could you create 2 fields, one for the latitude and another for altitude (but in OSGB notation and not degrees.)

If a screenshot would help illustrate the problem I could send one.

orux

Quote from: "arthur"There appears to be a bug that prevents a UK OSGB coordinate fully appearing in a trip computer field. The last five characters are missing and replaced with three dots.

If it is difficult fitting the full 10 characters into one field, could you create 2 fields, one for the latitude and another for altitude (but in OSGB notation and not degrees.)

If a screenshot would help illustrate the problem I could send one.

Hi,

sorry, but the radar fileds are not ready for double size controls;

orux

arthur

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand it.

I am not sure what you mean by double size controls. As far as I am aware I am using normal controls.

Is there any way of making the OSGB coordinate appear on the trip computer view? Have I some setting wrong?

Thanks

arthur

Hi,

I now understand from seeing the new beta that double length fields are not permitted in the radar fields, which is why I could not see coordinates in OSGB format before.

However the problem is that the single length position fields (i.e. latitude and longitude) do not change format. They stay as degrees even if the units chosen for position is OSGB. Would it be possible to have the unit choice apply to all the coordinate fields? (There are times, e.g. bright sunlight, when it would be very useful having the OSGB position in large characters as would be the case if it could be shown in the latitude and longitude radar fields.)

Thanks.

orux

Quote from: "arthur"Hi,

I now understand from seeing the new beta that double length fields are not permitted in the radar fields, which is why I could not see coordinates in OSGB format before.

However the problem is that the single length position fields (i.e. latitude and longitude) do not change format. They stay as degrees even if the units chosen for position is OSGB. Would it be possible to have the unit choice apply to all the coordinate fields? (There are times, e.g. bright sunlight, when it would be very useful having the OSGB position in large characters as would be the case if it could be shown in the latitude and longitude radar fields.)

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, I have to find a solution for different coordinates to lat / lon.

orux

arthur

QuoteYes, I have to find a solution for different coordinates to lat / lon.

That would be great.

The OSGB uses 3 main forms, being

[list=1]
    • 10 digits - 2 letters followed by 10 digits e.g. NT 25113 73504 - precision is 1m
    • 8 digits - 2 letters followed by 8 digits e.g. NT 2511 7350 - precision is 10m
    • 6 digits - 2 letters followed by 6 digits e.g. NT 251 725 - precision is 100m

The first 2 letters give a grid box, the digits are then in two blocks the first being the x-coordinate and the next being the y-coordinate.

To fit the OSGB reference into oruxmaps single length fields you could put the grid box plus the x-coordinate in the longitude field and the y-coordinate in the latitude field.

Ideally you would give a choice for the number of digits so if someone chose OSGB 8 digit you would show, for example: longitude= "NT 2511", latitude = "7350". (Without a choice of the number of digits, and assuming you keep with the 10 digit form, you would show longitude ="NT 25113", latitude = "73504".)

Regards,