Samsung Galaxy S Plus and problems with switch on/off

Started by sankyo, May 23, 2014, 10:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sankyo

Hello,

actually Oruxmaps was a very nice app i've been using for tracking my tracks for a while.

Unfortunately up from which version ever (I assume 5.5.16) I have a problem with it.

Each time the Oruxmaps is running and tracking, if the display is switched off (power button or automatically) the switch on process is getting absolutely instable or unpredictable. Means sometimes (in very rare cases) the mobile can be switched on without any issues, sometimes it stops somewhere and I can just see some buttons, sometimes nothing happens at all and I have to restart it completely (full switch off).

Even if sometimes the mobile seems not to react at all, the GPS logging is still being running in the background and I can see the track after the reboot. Sometimes it justs stops tracking some when.

Oruxmaps is definitely the only one app which causes a behavior like this one (I've made this experiment with nearly all apps I have, since there are not so many).

This way I've lost some tracks from my last longer trips and I'm thinking about changing to another app.

I do not really think that somebody can help me, but maybe somebody has a hint what the issue could be or where to look for the solution.

To my mobile: German Samsung Galaxy S Plus (GT-I9001) without any modifications, just the stock software.

Firmware 2.3.6. Basebandversion I9001XXKPO. Kernel 2.6.35.7-1207170.

Regards

orux

Quote from: "sankyo"Hello,

actually Oruxmaps was a very nice app i've been using for tracking my tracks for a while.

Unfortunately up from which version ever (I assume 5.5.16) I have a problem with it.

Each time the Oruxmaps is running and tracking, if the display is switched off (power button or automatically) the switch on process is getting absolutely instable or unpredictable. Means sometimes (in very rare cases) the mobile can be switched on without any issues, sometimes it stops somewhere and I can just see some buttons, sometimes nothing happens at all and I have to restart it completely (full switch off).

Even if sometimes the mobile seems not to react at all, the GPS logging is still being running in the background and I can see the track after the reboot. Sometimes it justs stops tracking some when.

Oruxmaps is definitely the only one app which causes a behavior like this one (I've made this experiment with nearly all apps I have, since there are not so many).

This way I've lost some tracks from my last longer trips and I'm thinking about changing to another app.

I do not really think that somebody can help me, but maybe somebody has a hint what the issue could be or where to look for the solution.

To my mobile: German Samsung Galaxy S Plus (GT-I9001) without any modifications, just the stock software.

Firmware 2.3.6. Basebandversion I9001XXKPO. Kernel 2.6.35.7-1207170.

Regards

Hello;

do not know where is the problem, but should not happen; if android works well, an application should not be able to crash the system.

give me more information:

-> Do you have many offline maps in the maps folder? Which kind of maps?

-> How big is the database tracks, oruxmaps/oruxmapstracks.db file?

-> What type of map are you using when it happens?

orux

sankyo

Thanks for the reply :)

As for the questions:

-> Do you have many offline maps in the maps folder? Which kind of maps?

At the moment I have 4 maps. The big ones are Germany_South_hike (around 450 MB) and Turkey (around 480 MB). Smaller ones are Greece (120M) and Sweden (233 MB).

All maps are from http://www.openandromaps.org">http://www.openandromaps.org

-> How big is the database tracks, oruxmaps/oruxmapstracks.db file?

1.6 MB

-> What type of map are you using when it happens?

It started in Germany with Germany_South_hike.

Last trip was in Turkey and I've used the Turkey map.

Some days ago it was Germany_South_hike again (back from Turkey).

Maybe there is a dependency...

The previous versions of Germany_South_hike were a little bit smaller (i.e. 407 MB).

And both Sweden and Greece were working fine.

Of cause I've used them with an older Oruxmaps version.

Sweden was with 5.5.2

Greece was with 5.5.9.

Turkey was with 5.5.16.

Maybe I can try the older Germany_South_hike ...

Regards

sankyo

I've done some new experiments.

Meanwhile it is Oruxmaps version 5.5.20.

The size of the maps seems to have no influence at all: I've experienced the described issues with smaller maps like Greece (120M) and Sweden (233 MB). GPS tracking on or off seems not be important too.

Just map viewing in Oruxmaps causes the same issue.

Accidentally I've tried something else: I let mp3 music play in the background, started Oruxmaps, and, see (hear) there, after the display is switched off, I can hear that something makes the music stuck after a while (ca. 1 minute), then it plays normally but I cannot switch the display on. Only a hard reset by pressing the power button for a longer time period (once for off, once for on) works.

I have a next longer trip in June so it makes me really nervous :)

Is it actually possible to downgrade somehow to find out when it actually started?

Regards

orux

Quote from: "sankyo"I've done some new experiments.

Meanwhile it is Oruxmaps version 5.5.20.

The size of the maps seems to have no influence at all: I've experienced the described issues with smaller maps like Greece (120M) and Sweden (233 MB). GPS tracking on or off seems not be important too.

Just map viewing in Oruxmaps causes the same issue.

Accidentally I've tried something else: I let mp3 music play in the background, started Oruxmaps, and, see (hear) there, after the display is switched off, I can hear that something makes the music stuck after a while (ca. 1 minute), then it plays normally but I cannot switch the display on. Only a hard reset by pressing the power button for a longer time period (once for off, once for on) works.

I have a next longer trip in June so it makes me really nervous :)

Is it actually possible to downgrade somehow to find out when it actually started?

Regards

Maybe it's a problem with the vector maps.

Please try this:

Create and use an offline map from an online map. Or use OruxMaps with an online map (you can block tile downloads) or use the map of world.

Restart OruxMaps, and record a track. Can you reproduce the bug?

orux

sankyo

I've tried following:

- Opened Orux with Germany map

- Changed the map to world

- Closed Orux and reopened it

- Started tracking, switched off the mobile

- After around 5 minutes switched on again, it was tracking

- Switched off again

- After around 5 minutes tried to switch on again, no reaction at all

- Tried the same several times, sometimes it works at the first time, sometimes not.

- Mobile reboot, Started Orux again with world map, No tracking.

- Switched off, switch on does not work again, reboot again.

- Tried the same several times, same results

- Just for fun and in order to have tracking at all, I've started the CameraWindow App from Canon, which does GPS logging too.

- Switching on and off a lot of times. No problems and I had my track afterwards.

I've never tried to create maps by myself, but I'll try to find out how to.

By the way the older maps were all from the same homepage.

The weird point in this story is that it was definitely working and everything was OK.

But something has changed some when. Maybe my mobile...

sankyo

Today it was the same game with same issues.

Actually meanwhile I cannot switch the maps at all.

It stuck at world map.

If I choose something else, it says the the map is loaded, but it is not. It still be the world.

Whatsoever, now it was enough.

I've removed Orux and deleted the complete Orux folder.

I plan to install it again, but first:

Is there something else I have to delete or reset?

Just in case to avoid any issues...

Regards

orux

Quote from: "sankyo"Today it was the same game with same issues.

Actually meanwhile I cannot switch the maps at all.

It stuck at world map.

If I choose something else, it says the the map is loaded, but it is not. It still be the world.

Whatsoever, now it was enough.

I've removed Orux and deleted the complete Orux folder.

I plan to install it again, but first:

Is there something else I have to delete or reset?

Just in case to avoid any issues...

Regards

Strange...

Remove/rename the folder oruxmaps/

then install again, and try fist with world map.

then install a new mapsforge map and try again.

orux

sankyo

Re installed Oruxmaps.

GPS Tracking today with world map and default settings:

NO issues !!!

Will try other maps next days!

Hope it will work :)

Regards

sankyo

Tried the baden-wuerttemberg map from OpenAndroMaps and it seems to work!

No issues so far.

Maybe something was wrong with the app or config or whatever.

I hope it will stay this way, because I'll have a longer trip in one week.

Actually there seems to be a bug maybe with the new zooming system.

Loading the map does show that it is loaded, but zooming in per two finger stroke switches back to the world map.

Only the "plus" button shows the right map (baden-wuerttemberg) ans zooms in.

Anyway this new zooming and rotating at the same time is very irritating. See, if I can get used to it.

Regards

orux

Quote from: "sankyo"Tried the baden-wuerttemberg map from OpenAndroMaps and it seems to work!

No issues so far.

Maybe something was wrong with the app or config or whatever.

I hope it will stay this way, because I'll have a longer trip in one week.

Actually there seems to be a bug maybe with the new zooming system.

Loading the map does show that it is loaded, but zooming in per two finger stroke switches back to the world map.

Only the "plus" button shows the right map (baden-wuerttemberg) ans zooms in.

Anyway this new zooming and rotating at the same time is very irritating. See, if I can get used to it.

Regards

Hi,

delete the world map, it is an example map. Or disable zoom autoload feature.

you can disable rotation gesture in settings--maps--zoom settings

orux

sankyo

Long time ago...

Just small update. Norway was absolutelly OK. 6 Tracks with no issues at all.

In Oslo then with mobile having issues getting GPS fix the issue came up again.

Mobile hangs and does not switch on again.

Who knows. Maybe it has something to do with GPS receiver.

Meanwhile I'm thinking about getting a new mobile anyway, but I have no idea which ones :)

Regards